Liked: 0

Thought came to mind,just how many 88 thru 90
    Reynard's are left out their?running/stored? and Regions of record?
    Butchcfc01/cendiv

We have log books for three in Cal Club for '02. A 88 Reynard set 3 lap records on the way to the regional championship in FC. CFC will be legal as a regional class for the first time in Cal Club in '02.

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: BrooksHall ]
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

I have an SF-90 in Vancouver, BC.
    Brad Smith

I should have added that I own a SF 89 with the Bobby Carville body work and suspenion package.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Liked: 3787

Four were campaigned in the Southeast during 2001:

Dowis
    Johnson
    Montfort
    Sava

I have a SF-90 I will be running in the New England Region.

Clay Caswell

Liked: 10

Clay, did you run the car at all in 2001?
    Dale Carter
    2003 VanDiemen FE #29
    Life is Good

Hi Dale,

I actually ran six test days at NHIS and got lots of seat time. No races yet. The car is running great.

Clay

Just a reminder of the website I built for Reynard drivers.
    http://homepage.mac.com/reynardthefox

I have recently purchased an SF88 I will be competing with in FC in 2002 in Florida Region.
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

GR,
    Saw you at Sebring, you are killing me already!

Michael,
    Next season we are going to work on your right foot. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Merry Christmas!

Montfort,

I believe I at least "know your car", although I did not spend anytime cruising the paddock @ Sebring to see/meet my competitors. I hope to be able to meet you sometime in '2002. I will see if my racing budget will let me get into Georgia next year. If not, and if things are going well, I will be back at Sebring probably for all events. I really enjoy the 12 hour circuit, man what a blast to drive!! I am still "learning" and know I have much to do. I am out to have a great time and enjoy racing. I would appreciate any comments/complaints anyone would have if I happen to race with/against them. I have chosen the open wheel class (after watching as an SCCA course worker for the past 6 years) because it appears this class has a little more respect for each other and their equipment. The only thing I think is an update to my car is the rear wing, which is a "Van Diemen" wing, which I believe precludes me from running in the CFC class.

Peace
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

The VD wing will not keep you out of CFC in the SE Division. It has not been mandatory to keep the original wings/bodywork, only the chassis configuration. David Sava's radical Reynard is one example of the kinds of cars they will let play. Court Dowis won the championship in 2000 with a VD wing on a Reynard.

Race it in CFC.

Frog I poached your rules for Cal Club but added the line about bodywork and areodynamics. The rules in SeDiv as I read them only allow up/back dating untill '90.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Rules...we don't read no frigging rules. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Michael, you are correct. But unless there is a protest, it is pretty loose. And there have not been any protests. About the only thing looked at is "homologated 1990 or before", everything else is pretty darn loose. So a lot of interesting bodywork has developed.

Hell, we were so desperate for entries for a while there, we didn't care. And, most of the radical shapes have not proven to be competitive. But, let's just say my stock configured '84 looks REAL vintage on the grid, when all the other cars have trays and VD wing sets. [img]smile.gif[/img] ...and 2300 cc motors.

Classifieds Super License andyllc's Avatar
    Liked: 201

Happy Holidays everyone!
    Where in the rules does it say for the Southeast division that you can't update the car past '90? The only thing I have ever read is that the car must be made before '90 (or maybe including '90) and that it has to meet all of the current FC rules. That would mean you could update it with whatever you wanted. Just how I interpret the rules.

Andy,
    You got it right. It has to have been homologated in or before 1990. There was some discussion this year about a guy who imported an european car that was built in 1990, but wasn't homologated until 1995 in the States. We were all in favor of letting him run in CFC.
    It is wide open, except if you were to do something to effect to original homologation, e.g. change the suspension pickup points, or convert it from rocker to push rod...
    But rest assured, it is only policed by the competitors themselves.

I like the 2300cc thing how about some turbos?
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Good day! I have just been purusing different sites and came across the "NOTE" below on the SEDIV site www.sedivracing.org.

Note: The Club Formula Continental* and Spec Miata* classes will be dropped Oct. 1, 2003 unless entries reach 2 per event, averaged throughout the Division.

I am interested in CFC, but thought I would not "qualify" due to differences in my car from "original". I will also be sporting a new nose (car not mine). A "needle" nose with dual wing elements. These previous posts make me now believe I may be able to "compete" with other older cars each race. I would love to be able to do that. I, perhaps like many here, do not have a wad of cash to throw at a race car, just enough to have some fun and try to catch these newer "supported" racers, although I promise to do my best to keep 'em looking!! I was ready to resign myself to FC. What say you fellow racers?? Can I join you??

Peace

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

When I lived in Davie it had one dirt road and a Rodeo arena....

I would say that your car is definitely a CFC, and yes you will be very welcome in the SARRC series as such.

They have had that "extinction" disclaimer in the rules for years. Next year it will probably say 2004.

We had 12 different chassis race in CFC in SARRC in 2001, with as many as 8 in one race. I think we will be around until you can buy Mark's 98 VD when he moves up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Be prepared to have a blast.

I am biased. I think the tracks in the north end of the Division are more fun (RR, RA, VIR, CMP). Try to get in at least one trip to Road Atlanta this year.

Frog,

Davie still has dirt roads (some) and yes we still have our own rodeo arena Yeeeeee Haaawww!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Say, whereabouts are you in Tall town?? I have a good friend (who is also a racer, used to be in Dixie region, now CFR) who is up there frequently on business. Perhaps I can hook you guys up for a lunch/dinner or something.

I welcome the invite to CFC. Road Atlanta is definitely on my list! I haven't been there since '85 watching a pro bike race. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have worked (corner worker) Roebling Road for a national race once and that was also a cool looking track.

Do most of you only race the SARRC events??

Peace
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

I have run nationals in the past, but only because there was a particular track I had dreamed of driving, or a scheduling conflict that made it easier to run a national. e.g. If you dream of participating in the June Sprints, then you have to do the June Sprints. But in reality, most CFC cars are way out of their league in a national event, but we make great moving chicanes... [img]smile.gif[/img]

It seems to be more fun to race where there is some competition, so the SARRC series becomes a natural choice. In 2001, going into the runoff race there were 4 of us with a mathematical chance of winning the championship. So that adds a little flavor.

Also, many of the SARRC weekends schedule double races, which can be benefical to the budget.

Having never done Mid-Ohio, I'm scheduling it for this August at the national. Maybe Mark, and Dave, and Mike will take up a collection to pay me not to come. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I printed out the SARRC schedule for '2002 so I will see what I can do to run these events. I'm hoping the racing budget will hold up to it!!

Hope to one day see most of you at (a) the track!!

For now, I'm preparing to work our Florida Region 24 hour race at Moroso. This year doesn't look like it will be as cold as last year. We actually had ice form on our drinks during the night, and frost all over everything else. Aaahhh Florida [img]smile.gif[/img]

Peace
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Classifieds Super License andyllc's Avatar
    Liked: 201

Mid-Ohio in August. Sounds very nice. That would also be near the timig of the CART race there. Let me know if you need some more crew or maybe I can get Richard to take the DB-3 to that race as well, assuming I don't have a race then.

Liked: 1

How dose A 88-90 car compare to a pre 88 car?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Not to step on too many toes... I'll give my humble opinion.

This biased opinion is for CFC only.

The 90 Swift (DB3) is probably the best ticket. Set up right it can even run in the pack with a lot of much newer cars. It only has rockers on one end of the car, with push rods on the other. It is truly the best design to take advantage of the current CFC rules. Not many around, or for sale.

The 87 - 89 Swifts (SE-3) and Reynards are about even, with my nod a little towards the Swifts. The Reynards are a bit more durable. Most of the Reynards have newer wing and tray configurations that have helped them keep up with the Swifts. The Swifts seem to have the edge on top end at the faster tracks. It also seems easier to get a Swift down to the minimum weight. More care needs to be given to Swifts to make sure they stay bolted together, especially in the engine bay area. The only potential downside to the late 80s Swifts and Reynards is that they have custom castings either at the front suspension pickup points or the bellhousing/gearbox that if broken could present a real repair challenge. But in the last 4 years I have not heard of anyone having that problem.

Next come the 84 Reynards. In many respects a great car. But the newer designs out run it especially at top end. The 84 does not have a super clean aero package. They are harder to get down to the minimum weight. They are a great beginner car, fairly easy to set up and very forgiving on the track. (It should be noted that I'm trying to sell an '84, so I should have ranked it #1. ) When I was starting, I was told to get an '84 because of all it's good qualities for a beginner. Looking back, I'm glad I did. On slow tight courses, or in the wet, an '84 is capable of giving 'em fits. But at Road America for example, it is hindered by its aero package.

There are a whole group of '80s VDs and Crossles that we just have not seen run in the SE over the last 4 years, so I can't comment on them.

The odd ball 85 Reynard is one to steer clear of. Some 86 Reynards need to be looked at closely to make sure they are not really 85s.

Any one of these cars is sure a lot better than having none at all, and sitting on the wrong side of the fence just watching.

Liked: 6

I have a '90 SE-3. It has rockers front and back. It also has side-pod radiators, which is different from the other SE-3's I've seen. Anybody else have one like mine? I've also noticed, when trying to buy used parts, especially rockers, that my car is different than the earlier ones.
    Anything is possible, until it is proven impossible.

SE-3s are different from DB-3s.

SE-3s have rockers on all 4 corners.

My personal opinion on the Reynard vs. Swift is a little different than Mr. Frogs. I feel the Reynard is faster at least out west. This may be a function of our tracks, Willowsprings aside, are tighter, technical tracks and don't reward straight-line speed as much. In Cal Club Peter Phillips, with help from his father Les, reset every lap record (on the configurations run) for Buttonwillow Raceway. He beat a lot late model VD's in the process. I am not suggesting that an SF 88 is match for a RF01 but the Reynard is very good car. Peter happens to be a very gifted driver; his father was pretty hot shoe himself and may be one of the foremost crew chiefs on Reynards in the country. The thing that I like about the Swift is the fit and finish seems to be at a higher standard than the Reynard. Just my opinion but then I own a SF89 so I could be biased.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Thread Information