View Poll Results: Where do YOU want the Runoffs ?

Voters
263. You may not vote on this poll
  • Topeka

20 7.60%
  • Mid Ohio

40 15.21%
  • Road America

42 15.97%
  • Road Atlanta

35 13.31%
  • VIR

35 13.31%
  • Indy

91 34.60%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 0

Default For What It's Worth

I don't know about the SCCA population center but for the US its about 100 miles SW of St. Louis, MO. Or, 4.5 mi. from Holy Topeka.

Indy would be interesting but for some reason I'd like to see it back at Road Atlanta.
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

Liked: 309

Perhaps a minor point, Tom, but according to Census2000 the center of population of the US (including Alaska and Hawaii) is Edgar Springs, Mo. Google Maps shows that as a 300 mile drive east of Topeka...not 4.5 miles.

That said, keeping the Runoffs in Topeka just makes it equally inconvenient for everyone.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Default Was Thinking Hours But Typed Miles

I meant 4.5 hours, not miles. You are correct in that is is equally inconvenient for everyone. How long is the present contract with HPT? I asked my Magic 8 Ball if there would be a change of venue for the Runoffs in the future and it said "Signs point to yes", so there you have it.
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

Liked: 309

Tom, the Runoffs contract runs for three years. The BoD issues an RFP after the 2nd year of a 3 year cycle, for the following 3 year block. That means that this fall, the BoD will issue an RFP for the 2009-2011 Runoffs. Last time 13 tracks were contacted, of which three submitted bids, with HPT chosen for this cycle. If you want the Runoffs to move, contact your favorite track to ask them to call SCCA to be added to the RFP list.

Since several BoD members drop in here and at least a couple post occasionally, I think it's fair to say that they are interested in member input. Members who want the Runoffs to stay at HPT or want the venue changed should contact their favorite track and write the BoD at bod@scca.com.

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Default Runoff's Venue

Perhaps the way the club goes about selecting its track for the Runoff's says more about what the club is than anything else.

It has been my experience in working with non-profit organizations that they tend to think a lot more like government entities than private for-profit entities. Every non-profit with which I have ever dealt struggles with the problem of wanting to think more like a private company, the whole time they are operating like a government agency. I think the "request an RFP" mode of operating might be part of the problem.

If I were running the club I would do things a little differently. I would hire an executive whose sole responsibility was developing and executing a business plan for the Runoff's that would include, along with revenue contribution, a plan to build the Runoffs as a major brand in Motorsports, a brand that would build credibility and prestige for the club as well as interest outside its current membership (and more interest within its membership as well).

Surely, gaining another 50,000+ new members worldwide would be worth foregoing the immediate fees and gate receipts from some hungry owner of a track in the middle of nowhere. Not that there is anything wrong with owning a track in the middle of nowhere..

What the club needs for the Runoff's is a "Brand Executive". If we already have a person in this role, then we need a "New Brand Executive". Sorry if I just fired somebody's father, but you have to admit, if you were setting about building a major brand out of a race, you would not hold it at an unknown track in wind swept, silt infused Topeka.

Sorry for thinking like a retired CEO, I will now go back to thinking about the trade-offs for 2nd/3rd gear with regard to Turn 5 at the upcoming Laguna Seca weekend.

Default Dont get it?

Let me get this straight, some of you enjoyed the snow nationals at Mid-Ohio? Moving north is NOT an option. Moving extreme east or west isn't either, unless of course eliminating your competition from the far side of the country is what your after. Middle of the country, equal pull for everybody makes all the sense in the world.
    Having said that, why SCCA insist on having a national championship in October is beyond me no matter where you put it, I think a week or two after the S2 nationals would be more timely. Since someone mentioned the changes to HPT I'll throw my 2 cents in on it. I have yet to find anyone who likes it let alone voted for it. What HPT/SCCA did manage to do was eliminate 2 perfectly good braking zones, maybe thats a good thing for the doctors, lawyers and indian chiefs who can afford the the best of the best in engines,( and dont like being drafted and then out braked), but the rest of us that build our own power plants and don't own a dyno,( or can even afford a test) but have some skill under braking, well so much for that idea, which by the way, HPT/SCCA, aren't you trying to sell tickets? Get it?
    Last thing before I go, HPT boring? No elevation changes to speak of, etc.,etc.? First, HPT was built the way it is for one reason, spectators. You can see the whole track from anywhere, that was the idea. A road racing course where the spectator could enjoy the action from any view point, not just the front straight or whatever. From a driving point of view, I think you get a bit of everything,(or you did before the changes), hard braking points, sweepers, medium speed, chicanes and S's. Boring? not. Or....wasn't until DR. Dumbass showed up.
    see ya at the track!!

1. Topeka
    2. Mid Ohio
    3. Road America
    4. Road Atlanta
    5. VIR
    6. Indy (Moto GP version)[/quote]

Default Runoffs

Would the size of the SCCA membership justify a SCCA east and SCCA west?

Two runnoffs, east and west may actually increase participation.

The overall winner to be determined by long distance bench racing on APEX SPEED.
    JP53

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information