Liked: 7

Default Trailer Break In and Stolen Wheels

Our trailer was broken into in the last two weeks while in storage in Franklin, WIsconsin. It looks like all we lost was a set of Black SCCA / OZ / Van Diemen 13" wheels with a set of Hankook rains. They got into the trailer by unbolting the hasps on our Featherlite trailer. You may want to modify your trailers if you have a system like this as it was simple for the thief to get in. The cable tie was so I could move it without the door opening. A simple fix may be to just weld the nuts on.
    If you could keep your eyes out it would be appreciated and check how your door locks are designed!

Liked: 995

Default fix

Try using carriage bolts and put the nuts on the interior. Not fool proof, but better.

Liked: 11

Carriage bolts would definetly be an improvement over a std hex bolt & nut.

On Pace trailers we use a tamperproof nut & bolt combination to minimize this type of entry into the trailer on any exposed hinge or barlock. That said if they want to get in, they're going to get in. Esspecially on an aluminum skinned Featherlite if you do not have any interior walls.

Peter Calhoun- Marketing Manager
    Pace American, Inc.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Empty it?

As much as I hate the extra work-I empty my trailer after every race Before it goes to the storage yard.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default One Recommendation

Unrelated post
    Last edited by Joefisherff; 08.16.07 at 11:34 AM. Reason: unrelated to topic

Liked: 0

Default deadbolts

I have installed a deadbolt lock (like for a house door) on each side of the rear door of my enclosed trailer.

This is in addition to the standard cam-lock mechanism. One of the guys at our old shop had his trailer broken into from the rear and lost a 4-wheeler and his primary toolbox.

The robbers just used a (big) crowbar or lever and broke the camlock mechanism, lock and all. They skipped my trailer because they couldn't get past the deadbolts if they had borken the camlocks on my trailer. BTW my trailer was basically empty anyway.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Not very helpful, but after having the hasps cut off, and the side door locks destroyed, and then radios taken from yet another trailer, I just empty mine out and leave the dang thing unlocked and hope they don't steal the entire trailer for a mobile meth lab or whatever they do with them.

Sometimes I feel like rigging the thing with some sort of "surprise" but I probably would forget about it and hurt myself or my friends.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 921

A good alarm will also help the situation.

I have often considered hooking up inside the trailer a 12 volt fence charger to the frame and leaving it on with a hidden switch so I can turn it off to get in.

Ever bumped an electric fence on a farm.

The thief would never know what hit em.

Liked: 11

I've always removed 90% of the goods in my trailer as well... and its been stored in a secured, fenced lot. That Featherlight is a horrible design! At the very least they should reverse the nuts/ bolts.... for such a nice trailer its suprising. I'd bet that rigging up some sort of shocking device would subject you to legal liabilities. Insurance may be your best defence.

Its a damm shame we have to worry about this type of thing.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 1

I have some buddys that lost a trailer W/a Camaro outlaw car, $20k nitrous engine, 4 wheeler ...everything. It was on a main road chained to a light pole? It was found parted out in different places, by a drug dealing crime ring. They think that these guys go to races and follow racers home. My buddy left it in the trailer on Sun night after the race meaning to unload it on Mon. Thats all it took...one night.
    His solution now is to lo-jack the trailer, that is what a lot of guys are doing he says? I'm for that and a booby trap too, shocking device...pipe loaded with bird shot pointed at the door, something?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 123

what is 'lo-jack'?

Brian

Liked: 502

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    what is 'lo-jack'?

Brian
    Brian,
    www.lojack.com

Liked: 1

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:58 am[SIZE=2] [/SIZE] Post subject: Truck and Hauler Sometime between 4:30pm and 8:30 PM on Wednesday, Aug 01 my buddy had his truck and trailer stolen out of the parking lot right in front of the Raddison Hotel in Montreal.
    Enjoy the Track,

Steven
    http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com
    Was 99/00 FC, now am Just Waiting. Racing is life...

Liked: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    what is 'lo-jack'?

Brian
    Lo-Jack is only good if they steal the trailer. Then, hopefully, the police in your area support the Lo-Jack program.

Lyle
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    2x PRI Global Media Award Winner
    PRI Booth 7100

Liked: 0

Default lo jaqck supported!?!?!

OK i remember when lojack was the new toy on the block & it ws only in one city. I though it had come a long way since then & was universally supported. I guess that is what happens when you assume.
    Stephen

Hard at Play Racing
    Crewing at it's Best!
    Hemmingway Said "the only true SPORTS are Bull Fighting, Mountain climbing & Auto Racing, Everything else is just a game."

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnmorad View Post
    OK i remember when lojack was the new toy on the block & it ws only in one city. I though it had come a long way since then & was universally supported. I guess that is what happens when you assume.
    They have come a long ways, but they are basicly a theft recovery device. They have a new product called an early warning device. But read the FAQs for more info.

Lyle
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default LoJack story.

Seems they were getting a hit from some South American country from a stolen(from Texas) Big SUV and when they called said countrys police to request their help returning it they found out the cops had recovered the SUV from some Drug Lord and THEY were using it!

Liked: 7

Good news, The police busted the thiefs. A 17 and 19 year old that also were stripping a race car that was on an open trailer. The police returned the wheels to us today, to late for our trip to Mosport so we had to order another set of wheels and rains.

Great news!

Lyle
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

Thread Information