Liked: 0

Default Fittings for draining oil

Does anyone have a good way of draining the oil other than pumping out of the top or taking off the side pod to pull the plug? I was thinking of doing something like a quick disconnect from McMaster (see picture below). Is this not such a good idea? I don't know if there is sufficient vibration to unseat the valve in the fitting. The last thing I need is to be shooting oil out of the back of the car.

P/N 5478K71 (for reference)

P/N 5478K101 (for reference)

Put a piece of tubing on the end of the barb, plug it in and let 'er drain. Unplug when done.

Tony

Default Oil Drain

Hi Tony,
    FWIW, We tried using the 1/8" BSP fitting on the bottom side of the oil tank...but the oil drained so SLOWLY. We went back to our previous system. Basically, we put a -10 swivel tee at the bottom of the oil inlet to the pump. One side of the "run" of the tee goes to the oil tank. The other "run" side goes to a -10 hose with a -10 female "Jiffy Tite" fitting (PN JIF51610)on it. To drain the oil, you plug a -10 hose with the matching male jiffy tite fitting into the female and and the oil drains pretty well.

I've attached a picture which shows the "tee" installed at the bottom of the picture.
    Hope this helps,
    Barry

That is another thing I was afraid of. It probably wouldn't drain very quickly. The largest size of barbed fitting is 1/4" I think, maybe 3/8".

The last car I put together I decided to put an oil drain in the bottom of the tank. This will require cutting a hole through the belly pan. The plug sits up high enough that contact with a rock or curb should be a none issue. Also, you need to insure that you safety wire the plug. See attached photo.

A couple years back I got this.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=89224

I searched and found it for $89 shipped but that was a couple years ago. It's great because it get's all the oil from the very bottom and keeps everything nice and clean.

What is the size of the standard plug on the drain (NPT, BSP)?

ajs: If you are asking about my post, it is a standard 1/2" 20 thread oil drain plug which I drilled for the safety wire. Don't use an NPT plug, over time you will run it out. The seat was drilled out of solid aluminum stock and tapped, it is about 1/2 inch deep so there is plenty of thread. Needless to say you will leave 1/4" or so of oil in the bottom of the tank which is not a problem. Remember, over time the oil will seep from the tank into the oil sump pan, warm the engine and then immediately drain the oil. Chuck

Liked: 218

I would be careful putting a plug on the bottom of the tank. We bought a car that had that installed and the oil would seep through the welds in the bottom of the tank. It took a long time to clean that up. We took the plug out and rewelded the tank. Just use the vacuum system now.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Contributing Member Lee Shumosic's Avatar

Default Oil changes

I also use the vacuum system....
    LJS Motorsports

Chuck,

I was actually wondering what size the standard drain plug on the side of the tank is.

Tony

Steve: I agree that can be a problem if it is not a good TIG job and the machined surface on the bung isn't square for a good fit with the plug. That's why I had a machine shop do it for me......LOL....I'm not that good! Also, it was a brand new dry tank. If the tank had oil in it previously I think that could create a problem with a good weld as the oil would be absorbed into the aluminum and potentially corrupt the weld as it would be difficult to clean, but I would look to a real expert to confirm that statement.

ajs: I am pretty sure it is BSP, I have the size somewhere, if I can find it I will post it, my memory isn't that good at my ripe old age. Search this site, if I recall correctly someone has posted it here previously.

Chuck

Vacuum here also.

Tom Mihelich

Thread Information