Liked: 678

Default Does Solo 1 still exist?

Years ago the SCCA had Solo 1, a one-car-on-track / run-against-the-clock event on regular road courses like Roebling or CMP. Does this still exist? Trying to justify keeping my Swift DB-1 FF.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 13

No, solo 1 is now time trials program or hillclimb program. Time trials is only allows fendered cars, hillclimb allows all types. Penna. Hillclimb Association has two events at Summit Point, next weekend and Labor Day weekend.

Rich

Liked: 842

Quote Originally Posted by pahillclimber View Post
    No, solo 1 is now time trials program or hillclimb program. Time trials is only allows fendered cars, hillclimb allows all types. Penna. Hillclimb Association has two events at Summit Point, next weekend and Labor Day weekend.

Rich
    I disagree with that ... from the Time Trials section of the SCCA website..
    SCCA TIME TRIALS VEHICLE ELIGIBILITY SCCA Time Trials are open to most four-wheeled vehicles that pass the safety inspection. Different regions, tracks and events may have different rules, so entrants should check with the organizers, rules or supplementary regulations of the event you plan on attending.

1. SCCA Time Trials Events are open to any vehicle that:
    1. Meet all of the Safety Level 1 Standards, and when necessary, the SCCA rules required for special construction (GT, Sports Racers, Formula Cars, Specials etc).
    2. Has at least four (4) wheels, grouped in equal sets of half of the wheels on the vehicle per side.
    3. Is properly muffled.
    4. Does not have a high center of gravity. Potentially unstable vehicles with a high center of gravity–determined by whether or not they are wider than they are tall–are excluded from SCCA Time Trials. Width is the average track width of the vehicle, and height is measured from the ground to the highest point. Extra caution should be exercised with non-traditional vehicles (e.g., trucks using racing slicks or tires with less than 200 tread wear rating.)
    5. Is a vintage or alternate-series racing car that meets safety specifications for their sanctioning body.
    6. Cars need not be licensed or licensable for road use, so long as they otherwise comply with these rules.

As far as I can tell.... open wheel cars are STILL part of the Time Trials process... However, it is NO LONG one car at a time. There are Time Trials SESSIONS now.. all cars in a group go out at the same time and get TIMED. It's still 'fastest laptime'.. and 'position' is no matter. It's up to the driver to position him/herself appropriately during the sessions to get the BEST LAP TIME POSSIBLE.
    There ARE however, events that do NOT allow open wheel.. but it's not because SCCA says no.. it's up to the region putting on the event.

At least.. that is what I THINK I KNOW about it
    Anyone with more experienced knowledge can correct me.
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Steve. I like your response better, but I suspect Rich's will have enough truth in it to mess with my plans. I had gotten the impression that Time Attack didn't cater to open wheeled cars. It really doesn't matter since it's still multiple cars on track. If I do that, I can just run track test-days. It seems that would at least keep me with cars similar to my own.

BTW: the hillclimbs aren't going to work. I'm in central Florida. [But I did climb mount Dora!].
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 44

Jim

CFR does have Track Sprints. Think of a flat hill climb. Single lap, standing start. There was one scheduled this Saturday afternoon at The FIRM in Keystone Heights, but was canceled today do to the weather forecast (lightning). We will be running the SOLO event, see the email below.

CFR has 3 road race weekends this year at Daytona. We have autocrosses on the kart track in the eastern part of the infield. One 3 cone slalom and an offset gate or two for the entire course. We run clockwise one day, counterclockwise the next day.

I run a Lola T342 in BM. Daytona video below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13GE...ew?usp=sharing

Hope to see you at an event.

Dave

Due to the high likelihood of damp conditions and lightning on Saturday we're going to cancel the TrackSprint portion of the event. The TrackSprint makes the event run to the very end of the day without any cushion for a lightning delay and it doesn't seem particularly prudent to run a high speed track event in the wet. If you are registered for both the TrackSprint and autocross and you don't do anything, your autocross registration will remain. If you no longer want to participate you can cancel your registration from your Motorsport Reg Dashboard. If you're only registered for the TrackSprint but want to now run the autocross please send me an email and I'll update your registration. If you're on the wait list we're increasing the autocross cap slightly to get everyone in so look for a confirmation email in the next day or two.Thank you for your flexibility and understanding as we do our best to host safe well run events.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    I disagree with that ... from the Time Trials section of the SCCA website..
    SCCA TIME TRIALS VEHICLE ELIGIBILITY SCCA Time Trials are open to most four-wheeled vehicles that pass the safety inspection. Different regions, tracks and events may have different rules, so entrants should check with the organizers, rules or supplementary regulations of the event you plan on attending.

1. SCCA Time Trials Events are open to any vehicle that:
    1. Meet all of the Safety Level 1 Standards, and when necessary, the SCCA rules required for special construction (GT, Sports Racers, Formula Cars, Specials etc).
    2. Has at least four (4) wheels, grouped in equal sets of half of the wheels on the vehicle per side.
    3. Is properly muffled.
    4. Does not have a high center of gravity. Potentially unstable vehicles with a high center of gravity–determined by whether or not they are wider than they are tall–are excluded from SCCA Time Trials. Width is the average track width of the vehicle, and height is measured from the ground to the highest point. Extra caution should be exercised with non-traditional vehicles (e.g., trucks using racing slicks or tires with less than 200 tread wear rating.)
    5. Is a vintage or alternate-series racing car that meets safety specifications for their sanctioning body.
    6. Cars need not be licensed or licensable for road use, so long as they otherwise comply with these rules.

As far as I can tell.... open wheel cars are STILL part of the Time Trials process... However, it is NO LONG one car at a time. There are Time Trials SESSIONS now.. all cars in a group go out at the same time and get TIMED. It's still 'fastest laptime'.. and 'position' is no matter. It's up to the driver to position him/herself appropriately during the sessions to get the BEST LAP TIME POSSIBLE.
    There ARE however, events that do NOT allow open wheel.. but it's not because SCCA says no.. it's up to the region putting on the event.

At least.. that is what I THINK I KNOW about it
    Anyone with more experienced knowledge can correct me.
    Steve, FV80
    Steve,
    I asked Heyward Wagner about running a formula car at a time trial event and was told to buy a Miata, open wheel cars have no place in time trials program.
    The theory was competitors were supposed to filter in from the Track Night in America program and since tt events ran open sessions, open wheel cars would need a separate session taking valuable track time from everyone.
    Now, PHA runs events at Summit(Jefferson and Shenandoah) either like a flat hillclimb or a couple of cars at a time spread out. Only downside at $300+ for 10 minutes of track time is it worth it for a weekend. I think a hillclimb is going for $200 to $250 for a weekend with 6 to 8 minutes of track time. It has gotten to the point I have given up on the SCCA and would rather run karts, for $50, I get the same amount of track time, if I do well take some money home, sleep in own bed, and race every weekend from Easter to Thanksgiving.
    Rich

Funny how things come back around. Out of college, we ran Malibu Gran Prix go-carts for a buck fifty a lap. Then I started autocrossing and found a one-off Formula Ford to run. Turns out it had a small clutch and road racing gears and I didn't know how to change either, so I went to Solo 1. Then I realized I was paying like I was racing and getting very little track time, so I went racing.

Now I can't race but have a Formula Ford with a small clutch and road racing gears. I can change the gears, but the clutch change requires a new flywheel and a work-space I no longer have, so Solo 1 looks more reasonable. However, costs, 1 lap at a time and standing starts makes carts look appealing, and while it's not a buck fifty anymore, it's cheap compared to clutch, flywheel, gears, tires and a trailer. We ran at Andretti last week and there is an outdoor track not far away, so I have come full circle it seems.

Thanks for all the input. Not sure what I'll do at this point.

BTW: Thanks for the video.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

11. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Jim,
    Yes.. I think there is a story somewhere about life going full circle ...
    I think you are on the 'right track'.. which is, whichever suits your needs/desires at any given moment
    Enjoy it ... whichever it is...
    Steve
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 69

I too inquired about open wheel cars in time trials and was told open wheel cars "have plenty of other places to run". They did however state is a regional time trail had enough vehicles for a session, they MAY be allowed to compete.
    Craig Butt

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 502

Solo 1 was a great time to learn a track and make sure car was ready to race before ruining everyone's practice on Saturday morning. 8 to 9 tenths

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 553

Don't quote me but I think the National TT program has no place for formula cars, but regional events can have them (and I expect most would gladly accept them).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Don't quote me but I think the National TT program has no place for formula cars, but regional events can have them (and I expect most would gladly accept them).
    The events I've seen them at were Divisional races that were SHARED with a TT. The TT sessions were used by many Divisional drivers to get extra track time, so there were enough open wheel cars to justify the session time. Seen it at both Road Atlanta and Barber, though not recently.
    Steve
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 134

Since 2013, the SEDIV Double SARRC at Barber has been combined with a TT. The TT has 3 groups - TTA - Open Passing for Tin Tops; TTB - open Passing for Wings N Things; TTC - restricted passing for Tin Tops. Car classes recognized are all of the National and SEDIV Regional GCR and the TTN National and suggested Regional classes. Over 50% of the TT entries are Road Racers looking for the extra Practice time. The TT sessions are run before Race Qual and after Race Qual to facilitate their effectiveness as practice time.

Prior to the new TTN system, SEDIV had an outstanding SOLO 1/TT Championship Program starting back in the 80's. Usually 1/3 of our TT entrants had Formula cars. In his rush to implement TTN, Heyward deliberately killed the SEDIV TT Program as no longer necessary to meet his overall design. He and I had many discussions/arguments about inclusion of the Formula cars in TTN. SEDIV is now trying to re-establish its SEDIV TT Program.

In 2024, Barber will still be held as a Double SARRC and also part of the SEDIV TT Championship Series.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 32

Default solo I

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    Solo 1 was a great time to learn a track and make sure car was ready to race before ruining everyone's practice on Saturday morning. 8 to 9 tenths
    That's how I started... back in 1975(?) - Has a great program in CalClub with SCCSCC.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by Craig71188 View Post
    I too inquired about open wheel cars in time trials and was told open wheel cars "have plenty of other places to run". They did however state is a regional time trail had enough vehicles for a session, they MAY be allowed to compete.
    I have heard the same. With non-SCCA clubs there are also a lot of insurance related restrictions. Insurance companies seem to hate open wheel race cars for some reason

Liked: 78

It looks like the June race at AMP is going to have a similar format at the Barber SARRC / TT event.

Yeah there was no reason for SCCA National to throw the baby out with the bath water the way they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrout48 View Post
    Since 2013, the SEDIV Double SARRC at Barber has been combined with a TT. The TT has 3 groups - TTA - Open Passing for Tin Tops; TTB - open Passing for Wings N Things; TTC - restricted passing for Tin Tops. Car classes recognized are all of the National and SEDIV Regional GCR and the TTN National and suggested Regional classes. Over 50% of the TT entries are Road Racers looking for the extra Practice time. The TT sessions are run before Race Qual and after Race Qual to facilitate their effectiveness as practice time.

Prior to the new TTN system, SEDIV had an outstanding SOLO 1/TT Championship Program starting back in the 80's. Usually 1/3 of our TT entrants had Formula cars. In his rush to implement TTN, Heyward deliberately killed the SEDIV TT Program as no longer necessary to meet his overall design. He and I had many discussions/arguments about inclusion of the Formula cars in TTN. SEDIV is now trying to re-establish its SEDIV TT Program.

In 2024, Barber will still be held as a Double SARRC and also part of the SEDIV TT Championship Series.

Liked: 134

Quote Originally Posted by douglap1 View Post
    It looks like the June race at AMP is going to have a similar format at the Barber SARRC / TT event.
    Still waiting for the AMP TT Supps but it appears that there will not be a TT group for the Formula cars. That is probably not a big issue as most, if not all, of the former SEDIV TT guys with Formula cars have either gone on to SARRC, retired or sold their cars.

I wish them well, Had not raced at AMP since we did an old TT there years ago. Running the DSR AMAC was a blast.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Thread Information