Liked: 9

Default Mechanical Brake Switch Install

I'd like to replace my rain light with a dual rain/brake system. I don't want to tap the brake line for hydraulic actuated switch. What systems have you guys figured out that works well with vintage formula brake pedals?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedals.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	111164  

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 902

I may be a bit confused about your post. On my sports racer, all I did was use a simple pressure-activated switch, mounted between the caliper and the brake line banjo fitting. Took 5 mins to install, works just fine. Think I got it from Pegasus....

best,
    bt

Liked: 9

Default Girling

** Actually I'll need to verify that. Currently up on the storage lift and I can't get to it **

My vintage Girling Master doesn't use a banjo fitting. I either have to tap the hard line or install a mechanical switch.

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    I may be a bit confused about your post. On my sports racer, all I did was use a simple pressure-activated switch, mounted between the caliper and the brake line banjo fitting. Took 5 mins to install, works just fine. Think I got it from Pegasus....

best,
    bt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3500-2023 (1).jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	111165  
    Last edited by scottjk; 05.07.24 at 1:39 PM.

Liked: 141

Default maybe?

look up "backup alarm switch". Typically a spring wand operating a micro switch.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Ken Lawrence's Avatar
    Liked: 53

Default Brake switch

My GP Spitfire used a switch like this

Beck/Arnley Stop Light Switch - 201-1105 from Amazon

Had a small tab off the pedal in the linkage

worked fine for years

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 285

Steven Johnson used a reed (edit -- a mecury switch, closes when tilted) switch on Lola S2's, whenever the car slowed significantly, the switch activated turning on the brake light. You might need a magnet to turn it on for tech.
    Last edited by David Ferguson; 05.09.24 at 10:23 AM.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

I've never seen a Vintage Formula car (or any formula car) with a brake light so your question is puzzling. Common/required on Sports racers though.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default Brake light

I believe Sovren requires a brake lights on all cars including FF. Several good options for you to look at.

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by scottjk View Post
    ** Actually I'll need to verify that. Currently up on the storage lift and I can't get to it **

My vintage Girling Master doesn't use a banjo fitting. I either have to tap the hard line or install a mechanical switch.

The Austin Healey Sprite uses a T fitting on the brake line and a pressure switch available from Moss Motors https://mossmotors.com/542-110-switc...ed-pipe-thread
    $10 or a mechanical switch from e- type Jag is available for $27 from Moss https://mossmotors.com/26-1005-brake...tch-mechanical

Regards
    Paul

Liked: 141

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by marchsv View Post
    I believe Sovren requires a brake lights on all cars including FF. Several good options for you to look at.
    Brake lights are required. We have not seen the brake plumbing at the master but it could be hard line plumbed using inverted flair. Why change something simple that works?

Liked: 323

Most of us at Sovren run a banjo bolt brake light switch. Easy to add to the rear master cylinder and can be disconnected electrically when you don’t need it. No springs or rods mounted around the pedals..

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=5028

if you use one of these, use some silicone where the wires come out of the switch as they are easily pulled out..

use this adapter if you have hardlines.
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=4195
    Flex line is a snap

scott, talk to Tracy - he has done a lot of work with this group
    Last edited by scorp997; 05.08.24 at 12:25 AM.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 59

Default Steven Johnson (RIP) brake light switch

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    Steven Johnson used a reed switch on Lola S2's, whenever the car slowed significantly, the switch activated turning on the brake light. You might need a magnet to turn it on for tech.
    I recall reading that Steven also (actually?) used a mercury switch of the type that activates as it is tilted. One would need to adjust/calibrate the mounting angle so that a desired stopping deceleration rate (say 0.25g's) turns the switch on. Steven's intention was to avoid putting a pressure actuated switch in a brake line. His reasoning was that if not installed in the right orientation, they can retain an air bubble during bleeding & yield a soft brake pedal. A secondary effect would be that getting off the gas in a lowish gear ratio (or going down a steep hill) might turn on the brake light.

Lee

Liked: 707

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Johnson View Post
    I recall reading that Steven also (actually?) used a mercury switch of the type that activates as it is tilted.
    This is also my recollection, I think I read it on the old S2000 board when it was active. I don't recall how he activated it in Tech, though.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Contributing Member
    Liked: 94

I used a small microswitch that has a soft spring lever that just bends after contact with the front side of the brake pedal.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information