Liked: 5

Default Fc water pump pulley grinding

The water pump pulley on the crank seems to stick out too far. It is rubbing on the coolant tube.

I looked at pegasus and don't see the right combo. I also don't see how to remove the pulley on the water pump.

Hopefully I don't have to replace the water pump.

Also, does the upper coolant tube need to have a rolled end to hold the hose on?
    It seems to be an engine mount + coolant tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I may be mistaken but from pic1 it looks like the pulley on the pump is sticking out too far. The one on the crank looks typical, every one tat I have seen is right up against the timing belt pulley.

The pulley on your pump looks really long to me.

Can it be removed ad the back side somehow machined to allow it to line up with the one on the crank.

It is important that they be in perfect alignment or else it will either e at the belt or throw it off.

Ask how I know

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    I may be mistaken but from pic1 it looks like the pulley on the pump is sticking out too far. The one on the crank looks typical, every one tat I have seen is right up against the timing belt pulley.

The pulley on your pump looks really long to me.

Can it be removed ad the back side somehow machined to allow it to line up with the one on the crank.

It is important that they be in perfect alignment or else it will either e at the belt or throw it off.

Ask how I know
    OH WOW! I didn't even notice that.
    It looks pressed on, I don't see any keyway or anything holding it.

Oh gosh that sounds really bad.

It kinda looks like this one.
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=3799

Liked: 3787

You have to be careful when moving the pulley on the shaft because the impeller is also pressed on. Moving the pulley can cause the impeller to move on the shaft and it can then rug on the housing or block. That work usually has to be done with the pump off the engine. It almost looks like that pulley doesn't have enough concave dish. Or... the water pump housing is too long.

Memory is foggy... but there might have been two models of water pump: long snout, short snout.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

Rubbing on the coolant tube - WHICH coolant tube - the crossover pipe at the bottom? Those can be moved closer to the firewall by simply pushing them farther into the short pieces of hose that connect to the radiators.

Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by redcar9 View Post
    The water pump pulley on the crank seems to stick out too far. It is rubbing on the coolant tube.

I looked at pegasus and don't see the right combo. I also don't see how to remove the pulley on the water pump.

Hopefully I don't have to replace the water pump.

Also, does the upper coolant tube need to have a rolled end to hold the hose on?
    It seems to be an engine mount + coolant tube.
    The pulley is pressed on the shaft. If you try to move it you have a 50\50 chance you ruin the pulley.

Any water pipe\connection should have a bead roll to help hold the hose under pressure.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Rubbing on the coolant tube - WHICH coolant tube - the crossover pipe at the bottom? Those can be moved closer to the firewall by simply pushing them farther into the short pieces of hose that connect to the radiators.
    Yes, that was the issue. It chewed up the belt.

Now trying to solve the pulley alignment issue. Put a laser level and it's off water pump sticks out further, but the engine isn't level. Fun times!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    You have to be careful when moving the pulley on the shaft because the impeller is also pressed on. Moving the pulley can cause the impeller to move on the shaft and it can then rug on the housing or block. That work usually has to be done with the pump off the engine. It almost looks like that pulley doesn't have enough concave dish. Or... the water pump housing is too long.

Memory is foggy... but there might have been two models of water pump: long snout, short snout.
    Do you know where I can buy the correct water pump?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

From your later pictures, it looks like the belt is rubbing on the hose clip? Can you not simply rotate the clip, so the tightening screw is away from the belt?

All Pinto water pumps are the same height. The body designs and materials vary, but the actual units are all the same dimensions where it's important.

Don't bother with trying to laser check alignment of the pulleys - just put a straight edge (steel rule is perfect!) across the face of one and check from that. You should be able to see if there is an alignment issue.

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post

Water pumps are all the same height - different body designs/materials and either cast or pressed impellers, but the critical dimensions are all the same.

Isn't the belt rubbing at the lower pulley? If so why is there focus on the upper one? And yeah, that clamp is inconveniently placed. Any way to re-engineer that to move the clamps to someplace where there's no interference and easier adjustment? Like, lengthen the aluminum tube.

Something just seems not quite right. If the lower pulley was somehow "out" a little and corrected, that would make the belt run funny because the upper pulley wouldn't be in alignment.

I don't have a late model car but the arrangement of pipes doesn't look right either. The Beauchamps have two late model pinto cars, maybe they can shed some light on this.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Sorry for the rough picture, but take the hose clamp off, turn it around and relocate it something like this...

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 167

I won't be near my car again until Friday night. Mike may be able to look for you in the meantime. I will say the plumbing on these cars is unnecessarily complicated.
    Van Diemen RF99 FC

Liked: 707

The Beauchamps have two late model pinto cars, maybe they can shed some light on this.
    Just one, and we're running an electric water pump so not much help.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    Sorry for the rough picture, but take the hose clamp off, turn it around and relocate it something like this...
    Thanks for this feedback, yes I'm going to get longer silicon hose and move the clamp to a better spot.
    Yes! you could totally rotate it too.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

From your later pictures, it looks like the belt is rubbing on the hose clip? Can you not simply rotate the clip, so the tightening screw is away from the belt?

All Pinto water pumps are the same height. The body designs and materials vary, but the actual units are all the same dimensions where it's important.

Don't bother with trying to laser check alignment of the pulleys - just put a straight edge (steel rule is perfect!) across the face of one and check from that. You should be able to see if there is an alignment issue.
    I put a straight edge across the lower pulley. The upper is within 0.5mm looks pretty good to me.
    The pictures made it look off by 1/2" or so. Strange optical illusion.

Thanks for the help!!

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

I put a straight edge across the lower pulley. The upper is within 0.5mm looks pretty good to me.
    You can't beat 'old school' at times

The pictures made it look off by 1/2" or so. Strange optical illusion.
    They say the camera never lies...it does

24. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3305

You can't beat 'old school' at times

They say the camera never lies...it does
    When I look at photos that "seem" to indicate an issue, I am often baffled by that conclusion, and just can't see it. So pictures sometimes don't tell the story completely enough for anyone but the cameraman.
    Last edited by DaveW; 05.01.24 at 11:58 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

some of this is "barrel" produced by wide angle lenses

Contributing Member

some of this is "barrel" produced by wide angle lenses
    Very common with mobile phone cameras. Despite all their technology, they are still nowhere near as sophisticated as the human 'Mark 1 Eyeball'!

28. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information