Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: AP 4 puck disc

  1. #1
    Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.24.02
    Location
    Tehachapi, CA
    Posts
    6,462
    Liked: 1452

    Default AP 4 puck disc

    There's been discussion on here before regarding the cracking that occurs in the small holes of virtually every make of clutch disc. Just noticed AP makes a 4-puck and 3-puck disc that shouldn't have those issues.

    https://www.burtonpower.com/ap-racin...400-a036h.html

    I used to use a 4-puck on my FSV - it was a off-road buggy part (not any of our usual FC suppliers).

    Has anyone used these discs and if so, what were your impressions?

  2. #2
    Global Moderator Mike B's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.03.00
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    3,774
    Liked: 690

    Default

    Rick,
    We switched to the Tilton 4 disc on my son's Pinto early in the '23 season and the 6 puck disc that I removed showed signs of cracking at the base of each slot. It failed for other reasons but the cracks would likely propagate sooner or later. The 4 disc performed flawlessly all year. I bought it from Scott Young.

    Not an answer to your exact question, but that's what we do on Apexspeed!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

    www.gyrodynamics.net


  3. The following members LIKED this post:


  4. #3
    Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.24.02
    Location
    Tehachapi, CA
    Posts
    6,462
    Liked: 1452

    Default

    That's exactly what I needed. Didn't know Tilton made them too.

    Any difference in takeup/slip/feel?

  5. #4
    Senior Member rockbeau25's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.02.18
    Location
    Fitchburg, WI
    Posts
    124
    Liked: 135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    That's exactly what I needed. Didn't know Tilton made them too.

    Any difference in takeup/slip/feel?
    It felt exactly the same.
    Van Diemen RF99 FC

  6. The following members LIKED this post:


  7. #5
    Contributing Member DaveW's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.25.01
    Location
    Bath, OH
    Posts
    6,127
    Liked: 3170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    There's been discussion on here before regarding the cracking that occurs in the small holes of virtually every make of clutch disc. Just noticed AP makes a 4-puck and 3-puck disc that shouldn't have those issues.

    https://www.burtonpower.com/ap-racin...400-a036h.html

    I used to use a 4-puck on my FSV - it was a off-road buggy part (not any of our usual FC suppliers).

    Has anyone used these discs and if so, what were your impressions?
    I think the linked one is much thicker - 0.287" vs our standard 0.103 ". There do seem to be some in use that look like 0.103". I'm also interested.
    Dave Weitzenhof

  8. #6
    Global Moderator Mike B's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.03.00
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    3,774
    Liked: 690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I think the linked one is much thicker - 0.287" vs our standard 0.103 ".
    The Tilton disc is also half the price of the AP disc, at least the 5.5" size.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

    www.gyrodynamics.net


  9. #7
    Contributing Member DaveW's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.25.01
    Location
    Bath, OH
    Posts
    6,127
    Liked: 3170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Rick,
    We switched to the Tilton 4 disc on my son's Pinto early in the '23 season and the 6 puck disc that I removed showed signs of cracking at the base of each slot. It failed for other reasons but the cracks would likely propagate sooner or later. The 4 disc performed flawlessly all year. I bought it from Scott Young....
    Not an answer to your exact question, but that's what we do on Apexspeed!
    I just ordered two 7.25" 1x23 spline 4-puck disks from Scott. These have the 0.104" disk-puck thickness.

    I'll be VERY happy to no longer have to worry about the 6-puck disks always cracking (never have worn one out). I had one crack to the point that one of the segments broke loose and penetrated through the bottom of my bellhousing and undertray at PIRC in October 2022.
    Last edited by DaveW; 02.11.24 at 10:58 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    04.10.02
    Location
    Fairfax Va
    Posts
    156
    Liked: 48

    Default

    I have been using the 4 puck for the past 4 seasons.I use Tilton from Scott Young and No issues
    You won’t regret it
    Tim MinorFc88
    Tim Minor

  11. The following members LIKED this post:


  12. #9
    Contributing Member DaveW's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.25.01
    Location
    Bath, OH
    Posts
    6,127
    Liked: 3170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I just ordered two 7.25" 1x23 spline 4-puck disks from Scott. These have the 0.104" disk-puck thickness.

    I'll be VERY happy to no longer have to worry about the 6-puck disks always cracking (never have worn one out). I had one crack to the point that one of the segments broke loose and penetrated through the bottom of my bellhousing and undertray at PIRC in October 2022.
    Just got a call from Scott. The 4-puck disks are in. He's shipping today.
    Dave Weitzenhof

  13. #10
    Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.13.06
    Location
    Danbury, CT.
    Posts
    3,668
    Liked: 1811

    Default

    Yeah, we Cryo treat those for customers also.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

  14. The following members LIKED this post:


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




About Us
Since 2000, ApexSpeed.com has been the go-to place for amateur road racing enthusiasts, bringing together a friendly community of racers, fans, and industry professionals. We're all about creating a space where people can connect, share knowledge, and exchange parts and vehicles, with a focus on specific race cars, classes, series, and events. Our community includes all major purpose-built road racing classes, like the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) and various pro series across North America and beyond. At ApexSpeed, we're passionate about amateur motorsports and are dedicated to helping our community have fun and grow while creating lasting memories on and off the track.
Social