Thread: RALT Super BMW

Liked: 27

Default RALT Super BMW

I took these years ago, I wonder if it has been to a track recently.
    I admired the execution of the engine swap

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 101

Hubba Hubba !!’

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 482

Can I just HEAR it???

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Jerry Kehoe. He frequents the site, maybe he'll speak up. I believe he transplanted that into a mid-80s March F3000 with similar attention to detail. He runs with VARA and SVRA when they are out here.

I don't think I've ever heard it at speed, unless I'm around it, helmet on. It seems to be pretty quiet and low RPM.
    Last edited by Rick Kirchner; 10.16.20 at 10:35 AM.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 268

Default Ralt RT4 /BMW

Yes, I'm the one who created this conversion. Because of the space ahead of the BDA in the RT4 the wheelbase only increased by 4" even though the motor was quite a bit longer. Also because of the aluminum construction of the V12 vs the iron block in the BDA the weight overall only increased by about 50 lbs. I raced it for a number of years in that configuration and it worked very well. Between stints with the BDA in SCCA, WCAR, and then conversion I probably put about 135 races on it. I made the V12 because I couldn't afford to continue with the ever increasing costs of the BDA , very reliable engine that I really haven't touched in over 8 years now. To put it into the Ralt I built a bulkhead and replaced the legs with a tubular sub frame and semi stressed the oil pan I made, probably stiffer than with with the BDA in it. Without a doubt the RT4 had better ground effects than the March I put it in with sealed tunnels and flexible skirts it would hardly slide at all! Not bad for a $2000 bone yard motor, of course a fair amount of work creating the oil system, ignition system, adapters, fuel injection, headers, flywheel, etc. By the way I still have another motor with about 5000 miles on it from Japan for a spare, $2000 by the way! With it in the March I get more people at RA around the car than Brian French gets with his Benneton or Jordan! If anyone is interested BMW ran a feature in their club magazine which I would be happy to email a copy of the article to you, forward your email and I will send. This simply is what lots of people used to do before everything became a write a check car.

Liked: 49

Am I correct in saying that is a stock BMW 7 series

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Ralt

Yes it is other than the oiling systems, fuel injection, ignition, exhaust, flywheel, and of course, pumps. Revs comfortably to 7000 rpm and because of the exhaust, FI, ignition changes makes more power. How much I don't have a clue because I'm too cheap to have it on a dyno! I would guess it makes between 350-400 hp which compared with what I have to compete with puts me at a significant disadvantage but also my racing budget is a set of tires/ entry and travel, wine and scotch, and the usual misc maintenance parts. Either way probably costs far less than running a FF!
    Last edited by Jerry Kehoe; 10.16.20 at 1:21 PM. Reason: Additional info

12. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 896

Is there anyway that i can love this project any more?
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

I bought the car from Jerry when he decided to upgrade to the March. The mods were all very well done and it must have been a very stable car with the extra length. Having bought all of the Ralt parts from Brian several years ago, I had the facility to convert it back to standard RT-4 specs. I then sold it on to make room (in garage and wallet) for another one.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 309

I was fortunate enough to have been at the track back most times when Jerry and his fabrication partner (I forget his name) brought the Ralt RT4-V12 to many San Francisco Regional races to enter in FS. Not only are they great guys who would let you pour over their creation, freely answering any and all questions, but the car was beautifully prepared and seemed to run flawlessly.

Jerry had nice mufflers on it and, as Rick mentions, the engine had a silky-smooth deep note that everyone on the pit wall loved. If you ever have a chance to catch Jerry and his car at a West Coast vintage event, don't pass it up!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    Yes, I'm the one who created this conversion. Because of the space ahead of the BDA in the RT4 the wheelbase only increased by 4" even though the motor was quite a bit longer. Also because of the aluminum construction of the V12 vs the iron block in the BDA the weight overall only increased by about 50 lbs. I raced it for a number of years in that configuration and it worked very well. Between stints with the BDA in SCCA, WCAR, and then conversion I probably put about 135 races on it. I made the V12 because I couldn't afford to continue with the ever increasing costs of the BDA , very reliable engine that I really haven't touched in over 8 years now. To put it into the Ralt I built a bulkhead and replaced the legs with a tubular sub frame and semi stressed the oil pan I made, probably stiffer than with with the BDA in it. Without a doubt the RT4 had better ground effects than the March I put it in with sealed tunnels and flexible skirts it would hardly slide at all! Not bad for a $2000 bone yard motor, of course a fair amount of work creating the oil system, ignition system, adapters, fuel injection, headers, flywheel, etc. By the way I still have another motor with about 5000 miles on it from Japan for a spare, $2000 by the way! With it in the March I get more people at RA around the car than Brian French gets with his Benneton or Jordan! If anyone is interested BMW ran a feature in their club magazine which I would be happy to email a copy of the article to you, forward your email and I will send. This simply is what lots of people used to do before everything became a write a check car.
    I would love a copy of the article. Kjchristopher@gmail.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 41

Jerry,
    May I ask what transaxle you ran? Upgrade axles and brakes??
    I also would love a copy of the article. johnr at tricksolutions dot com
    Thank you and beautiful car, John

Default Rt4

We ran the FT200 in the RT4 which Hewland said would not handle the 150 lbs more torque but I used the same ring and pinion and everything else in both the Ralt as well as the March although the March has bigger cv joints and locker but also I don't jump curbs and use the clutch and lucky we don't do standing starts. By the way the original r&p in the March is now 10 seasons in and still looks great. I use Redline Heavy Duty pink gear lube if that makes any difference. Same dog rings and forks as well. I am pretty mechanically sympathetic I guess!

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information