Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disaster!!!

Liked: 310

Default Disaster!!!

The warehouse where I rent shop space caught fire at 2pm. The Reynard, its trailer, the original Darth Vee, Johnny Billingsley's old Zink and my beloved 1968 AMX are all destroyed. Also gone are all the spares for the cars, and all my tools and support equipment. It could be worse. Steve Scheifler lost several rental Spec Miatas, an IMSA GTU RX-7, two race prepped Datsun 510's, a stock 510 which was his first car. He also lost a Dyna_Pak dyno. Other people lost a Van Deiman FF, and Lotus Europa and several antique cars.

The building is huge old cotton warehouse with 20 bays. Each bay is about 115' x 180'. I rented space in the third bay from the top of the pic. https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...!4d-90.1994042 My space was just inside the east door.

The fire stated in Bay 4. Someone was welding on a car and set it on fire. The buildings extensive fire sprinkler system failed. The person attempted to push the burning car out the back of the bay through the overhead door on the west side of the building. He failed. He then called the fire department and told them the rear of the bay was on fire. Unfortunately, the fire hydrants are in front of the building so the fire trucks had to go to the front and the firefighters had to drag hoses through the building to the fire. They fought the fire in bay 4. There is speculation that if they let bay 4 burn while trying to prevent it from spreading bay, bays 5, 3, 2 and 1 might not have burned.

At least the blue solo vee and its trailer were are Solo Performance Specialties.

https://www.kmov.com/news/massive-wa...a3da77868.html If you go full screen on the smaller video you will see bay 3 full involved.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/lo...a-966fa91d3161

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    The warehouse where I rent shop space caught fire at 2pm. The Reynard, its trailer, the original Darth Vee, Johnny Billingsley's old Zink and my beloved 1968 AMX are all destroyed. Also gone are all the spares for the cars, and all my tools and support equipment. It could be worse. Steve Scheifler lost several rental Spec Miatas, an IMSA GTU RX-7, two race prepped Datsun 510's, a stock 510 which was his first car. He also lost a Dyna_Pak dyno. Other people lost a Van Deiman FF, and Lotus Europa and several antique cars.

The building is huge old cotton warehouse with 20 bays. Each bay is about 115' x 180'. I rented space in the third bay from the top of the pic. https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...!4d-90.1994042 My space was just inside the east door.

The fire stated in Bay 4. Someone was welding on a car and set it on fire. The buildings extensive fire sprinkler system failed. The person attempted to push the burning car out the back of the bay through the overhead door on the west side of the building. He failed. He then called the fire department and told them the rear of the bay was on fire. Unfortunately, the fire hydrants are in front of the building so the fire trucks had to go to the front and the firefighters had to drag hoses through the building to the fire. They fought the fire in bay 4. There is speculation that if they let bay 4 burn while trying to prevent it from spreading bay, bays 5, 3, 2 and 1 might not have burned.

At least the blue solo vee and its trailer were are Solo Performance Specialties.

https://www.kmov.com/news/massive-wa...a3da77868.html If you go full screen on the smaller video you will see bay 3 full involved.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/lo...a-966fa91d3161
    That's horrible, or as an old illiterate supervisor of mine once wrote: "Terrocious".

Liked: 530

major bummer!

Liked: 553

Very sorry to hear this, Lynn.

Hopefully you'll be compensated as well as possible.

I'm sure all of us folks on Apexspeed will try to help, maybe provide expert appraisals of all you've lost.

Keep us posted.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

Tough to take a loss that way. Generally, we hypothesize that if we were to write of the car, it would happen at full fun at the track. This really sucks. Any chance of financial recovery? I suppose the welder has responsibility and shallow pockets.

No insurance, but maybe my homeowner's will cover some of the tools.

My space was just to the left of the door.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...ize=1200%2C754

Liked: 530

you didn't have STP insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    you didn't have STP insurance?
    No.

Liked: 295

No.
    Wow! Very sorry to hear of this Lynn. Very sorry also to hear you don't have insurance. With the welder and a bad sprinkler system perhaps enough financial responsibility can be applied to compensate your loss.

Tom

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

I used that warehouse when I raced with Bryan Cohn as he ran his business out of there, just inside of the east door where Lynn was, during the 2000-2002 time frame. That place was like an automotive commune....lots of cars and motorcycles and racers and restorers and plenty of tools, equipment, and help to go around. Even had a paint booth in the back. The place is 10-15 minutes from Gateway. Some people are speculating that there may have been 25-35 cars lost today, maybe more. If it was still like it was 20 years ago, I would assume so. Other racers have posted their losses online as well. Sad day. It seemed like the heart of StL SCCA racing was in that building.
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

Awful news. I only hope that some items can be salvaged eventually, even if not complete cars.

I cannot understand why anyone welding wouldn't have had suitable extinguishers, etc. readily on hand to deal with a possible fire when this is one of the basics of safety.

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    Awful news. I only hope that some items can be salvaged eventually, even if not complete cars.

I cannot understand why anyone welding wouldn't have had suitable extinguishers, etc. readily on hand to deal with a possible fire when this is one of the basics of safety.
    Exactly.

Before picture. My area was on the right just inside the door. Notice the IMSA GTU Mazda on the lift. It is gone as is a brand new super late model stock car.
    https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/rx555/Car%20displays/Sauget%20shop/IMG_0037_zpsrgloxfxn.jpg

Three IT cars, seven Spec Miatas, a Van Deiman FF were among the other cars destroyed in this bay. Two other bays were also used for storage of race cars and collector cars. One bay which did not burn contained 20 collector cars insured for $30,000,000.

My area was on the left just inside the door
    https://www.roadraceautox.com/attach...5&d=1587086231

Before the roof collapsed.
    https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...ize=1200%2C754
    Last edited by Lynn; 04.17.20 at 11:19 AM.

Also destroyed in that bay was another FF, 2 IT cars, seven Spec Miatas, an IMSA GTU Mazda, a brand new never raced super late model stock car, a Lotus Europa, two Datsun 510 race cars and a stock 510. and many other cars and equipment.

One bay which did not burn contained 30 collector cars insured for a total of $30,000,000. The man renting that bay restores cars. He got there in time to get them all out, but that bay didn't burn.

I contacted by insurance agent. My tools are covered by my homeowner's as is the open trailer. The spares might be covered. The AMX and race cars are not, as I expected.

I would buy another FF, but I don't have shop space anymore.

One more thing.

Insure your toys!!!!!

Well, the sprinklers if in good operating condition would probably have stopped the fire from spreading. l believe it is still true that nobody has died in a sprinklered building in which the sprinklers were operating correctly.

Liked: 15

So sorry, Lynn.

I have a RF88 if that other guy needs a replacement.
    TeamFRD-1988 Van Diemen RF88-1267 FF1600 Solo:CM#99/199 http://yspect8.weebly.com

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1896

This is my worst fear about being in an industrial complex with other businesses who may not be as cautious as me. Sorry you're going through this nightmare.

. Absolutely horrible !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

I have been told that the sprinklers and hydrants are tested annually. My contact is baffled that they did not work.

I really appreciate the support of the members of the board. Thanks. If I located reasonably priced shop space, I will have another FF.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142704...n/photostream/

In the foreground is an SE30 and an Alfa. At the extreme left is the remains of a very nice ITR Mustang.

If you click on "back to the photostream" in the upper left you will see several pictures of the inside of Bay 3.

Last edited by Lynn; 04.17.20 at 7:07 PM.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11986480_10153605143269127_9172553523254768815_n-2.jpg 
Views:	2988 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	91769  

It is hard to think of the yellow Reynard destroyed. Of course your frame of mind must be much more, losing all those cars, Lynn. The owner of the building should be responsible for it all and should have insurance for it all.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

The portion of the building that burned is actually in East Saint Louis, IL. Their fire department will be in charge of the investigation. Considering the rampant corruption in ESL, I have little faith in any positive outcome.

One of the tv station helicopters shot video of the fire. I just saw it. At one point they zoom in and show the AMX on fire. I almost cried.

Liked: 141

26 pages of fascinating pictures
    - and not all cars
    - no I haven't looked at them all
    - yet.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    It is hard to think of the yellow Reynard destroyed. Of course your frame of mind must be much more, losing all those cars, Lynn. The owner of the building should be responsible for it all and should have insurance for it all.
    Same here - particularly sorry for the loss of your Reynard - I have a real 'thing' for those as an 85F was the first race car I ever ran myself.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Lynn;

This is terrible. I am sick over this. Is there anything salvageable?
    V/r

Iverson

No, I don't think so. John Powell and I were going to go over this afternoon, but it is supposed to still be too hot. In the picture above, my area was just inside the door on the left. We will try tomorrow afternoon. I'll post pictures.

Liked: 66

Default Sauget fire

Hello Lynn, when looking at this picture our stuff was just on the other side of the MR2, it is incinerated. My son derek had just moved everything from next to Bob Crepin and his go carts to the other side of the building. He lost his Supra, Miata and his cherished Corolla GTS which he had just built the 4AC and dumped a ton on mods, just needed paint. He also lost tools, a fortune in parts, engines and so much more.

I lost my Caldwell D10, a vintage motorcycle we had just restored, sheet metal working equipment, a ton of vintage car parts and wheels/tires and much, much more. We lost over 100K.

I blame Richard Sauget for the inoperable water pumping station that supplied water to the sprinkler system. I also blame E. St. Louis FD for their slow response, running out of water and not inspecting the sprinklers and warehouses every month as they required to. The E. StL FD Chief was in jail for extorting money so there was no leadership. This was the perfect storm that was just waiting to happen............

In the foreground is an SE30 and an Alfa. At the extreme left is the remains of a very nice ITR Mustang.

If you click on "back to the photostream" in the upper left you will see several pictures of the inside of Bay 3.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. There were several people who lost more than I.

East Saint Louis, the most corrupt city in the US.

Maybe we can sue the Sauget family and end up own a minor league baseball team.

Default Sauget

Lynn, I know exactly what you had, you lost quite a bit as well. The Sauget family is on the top of the list. We were the first ones to move into Bay 3 along with Fred Garcia about 25 years ago. I was prepping cars for Grey Eagle Racing at the time.

I worked on an '85 Reynard many years ago. Put more ackerman in the front end and the front end planted like it was on rails..........

Liked: 0

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. There were several people who lost more than I.

East Saint Louis, the most corrupt city in the US.

Maybe we can sure the Sauget family and end up own a minor league baseball team.
    Lynn: As a recovering lawyer I can tell you the liability of the landlord depends on your lease. Who had the obligation to maintain the sprinkler system? The person doing the welding of course has liability. Was the welder working for someone who might have insurance. You should looking at any possible negligence/ insurance source.
    It is worth discussing with an experienced business lease and/or negligence lawyer.
    I know that you all knew each other, but this is such a major loss take care of number 1. Good Luck

Liked: 3787

What a gigantic loss. Not only in terms of cars, but the "community" that thrived under that one roof.
    I'm wondering how many had their cars were insured?
    I'm the self-proclaimed "King o' Cheap" but over the years seeing these accidents happen again and again I have bought insurance for both my shop and toys. It just isn't that expensive with all the competing companies like Heacock, Grundy, and Hagerty.
    If any good comes out of this disaster i hope some readers take note.

37. The following 2 users liked this post:

DanW, dc

Liked: 941

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    What a gigantic loss. Not only in terms of cars, but the "community" that thrived under that one roof.
    I'm wondering how many had their cars were insured?
    I'm the self-proclaimed "King o' Cheap" but over the years seeing these accidents happen again and again I have bought insurance for both my shop and toys. It just isn't that expensive with all the competing companies like Heacock, Grundy, and Hagerty.
    If any good comes out of this disaster i hope some readers take note.
    I've seen similar losses from others as well. About 7 years ago my neighbor lost his truck and 20' enclosed car hauler full of all his tools for his custom finish carpentry business. No insurance. I got a Hagerty policy on my FF, trailer, tools and my Lotus Elan for less money and better coverage than my premium for just the Elan.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 3

It is just heartbreaking hearing what everyone lost. We didn't lose nearly as much as some, that is my 87 MR2 race car. I also lost a 88 Supercharged MR2 street car. My parents lost their 67 Chrysler 300 hardtop. I feel worse for them then myself. My dad was really proud of that car. A barn find with 61,000 original miles. This just sucks for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast2stop View Post
    Hello Lynn, when looking at this picture our stuff was just on the other side of the MR2, it is incinerated. My son derek had just moved everything from next to Bob Crepin and his go carts to the other side of the building. He lost his Supra, Miata and his cherished Corolla GTS which he had just built the 4AC and dumped a ton on mods, just needed paint. He also lost tools, a fortune in parts, engines and so much more.

I lost my Caldwell D10, a vintage motorcycle we had just restored, sheet metal working equipment, a ton of vintage car parts and wheels/tires and much, much more. We lost over 100K.

I blame Richard Sauget for the inoperable water pumping station that supplied water to the sprinkler system. I also blame E. St. Louis FD for their slow response, running out of water and not inspecting the sprinklers and warehouses every month as they required to. The E. StL FD Chief was in jail for extorting money so there was no leadership. This was the perfect storm that was just waiting to happen............
    Bryon Prokopf

Bryon, it's hard to believe that our cars were sitting next to your MR2's and they were completely incinerated. We all lost so much, some more than others. Even if we receive some sort of compensation it will never replace what we lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryon Prokopf View Post
    It is just heartbreaking hearing what everyone lost. We didn't lose nearly as much as some, that is my 87 MR2 race car. I also lost a 88 Supercharged MR2 street car. My parents lost their 67 Chrysler 300 hardtop. I feel worse for them then myself. My dad was really proud of that car. A barn find with 61,000 original miles. This just sucks for all involved.

We went over to the warehouse to get some pics, but police lines are keeping everyone about 100 yards from the burned bays. Bay 1 is still burning and the walls of the other bays are unstable. So, here are a few before the fire pics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160416_101946536.jpg 
Views:	2081 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	91824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190302_190641380.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	91818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160416_101953222.jpg 
Views:	2084 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	91825  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190302_190627441.jpg 
Views:	2114 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	91822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190302_190649657.jpg 
Views:	2091 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	91819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190302_190657561.jpg 
Views:	2077 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	91820  

Name:	IMG_20190302_190703585.jpg 
Views:	2086 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	91821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160416_094952685.jpg 
Views:	1438 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	91823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190302_190638909.jpg 
Views:	2073 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	91817  

Name:	IMG_20190302_190635553_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg 
Views:	2122 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	91816  

Liked: 96

Ouch! I am so sorry for everyone's losses. I am also fond of AMX's. They are getting harder to find. I feel bad about all the cars and tools lost, but especially that.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

I haven't been able to get in. Security is now requiring a waiver, but can't or won't tell me how to get one. Someone did get in and posted a pic on Facebook. In the foreground is an almost new F-350 Platinum. My area was to the right of the door against the wall and was 28' x 45'. The AMX was between the metal frame and the tall wall.

44. The following members LIKED this post:

Some more info about what was in the fire. https://mazdaracers.com/topic/7312-f...t-louis/page-2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information