Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

Would it be legal to spray a mist of water into the cooling scoops or even directly onto the heads while on the track?

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    Significant. Run the engine up on the dyno, hold it at peak HP, then spray some water on the heads.. Watch what happens..

Liked: 50

I think any water sprayed on or near the track would be unacceptable. Also depending upon how you read the rules, FV is an spec'd AIR cooled engine.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    I think any water sprayed on or near the track would be unacceptable. Also depending upon how you read the rules, FV is an spec'd AIR cooled engine.
    I read the gcr, and yes it only mentions that you're supposed to use an air cool engine... But it never said you cannot spray water into the cooling scoops, for cooling purposes or any other reason...

Liked: 49

Isn't it usually a case of if it doesn't say you can do it, you can't?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

A lot of good that clause has done in regards to intake manifolds, just to mention ONE thing... Who's to say you aren't using a Cool Suit system that just happens to have a leak! Better to have that stray water vaporize on the heads than to allow it to drop directly onto the track.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 22

Default Want to be creative Cooling heads...

[FONT=Verdana]Water would weight a lot...create steam,,, get on the track... etc.. you should just use a [FONT=Verdana]CryO2 Intercooler Sprayer Kit[/FONT]... They are used to cool intercoolers on turbos, just put a nozzle in each cooling scoop.... CO2 is a component of air... [/FONT]

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

I'll develop a test for the dyno using a windshield wiper spray pump and see what is possible. I think the system would have to be pneumatic when installed on the car because of the battery rule section. There is also the issue of the water's weight. Sounds like a push to pass type of feature at best.

Brian

Default CryO2

Since the system sprays cool CO2 over the heads... it also acts as a secondary fire supression system.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    I'll develop a test for the dyno using a windshield wiper spray pump and see what is possible. I think the system would have to be pneumatic when installed on the car because of the battery rule section. There is also the issue of the water's weight. Sounds like a push to pass type of feature at best.

Brian
    Ahaha, to be clear: I asked the question because the GCR didn't specifically say you couldn't do that. I only wanted to know whether it's allowed and everybody can do it, or it's not allowed and it shouldn't be attempted.

Default Gentleman start your CAD'S

This thread has gone way off topic... but this should start to make it interesting...

A Mono Shock rotary damper system...

https://sites.google.com/a/slu.edu/m...-racing/design

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Wow has this thread ever got off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
    Wow has this thread ever got off topic
    Just how we like it!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Actually, it has just morphed from which chassis? To this one is better because...to head cooling is to be weighed against aero to difference in suspension design, aero drag and Cg height...to just about anything built in the last 20 years that is set up and driven well will be competitive against 95+% of the the FV's out there.

I guess this is now the definitive thread on FV's, then!

Liked: 16

You certainly could not use water. You would get meatballed for leaking fluid.

CO2 does not exist in liquid form a 1bar of pressure, so you may be able to get around it there. However, I think creating a smoke screen for your competitor to try to drive through would not be taken to kindly. I think you'd leave the track with a broken nose after pulling that on someone.

Contributing Member

A properly sourced mister or nozzle is not going to even cause steam. A following car will not see any indications of such a system in use. Gross symptoms that you are mentioning would just be a waste of water and weight.

The CO2 system is ideal and again would not be detectable. I'm not sure about the weight of liquid CO2. I would think it could be lighter per unit of cooling.

Brian

Default I would protest.

Water or any liquid would certainly not pass any protest. I also suspect (and would protest) any cooling method with any gasses other than ambient air. While I don't see anything specific in the rules, the preamble to FV would certainly make this illegal.

[FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]"Formula Vee is a [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Univers-Bold][FONT=Univers-Bold]Restricted Class. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]Therefore, any allowable modifications, [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]changes, or additions are as stated herein. There are no exceptions.[/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Univers-Bold][FONT=Univers-Bold]IF IN DOUBT, DON’T."[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]Also since it is "air cooled" I would determine that CO2 or anything else, etc. is not a definition of normal air. (O2, N, CO2, etc.) [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]While mentioned above the manifold changes over the years were not a similar issue. The GCR stated allowed mods, with weights, sizes, etc. Thus it would be assumed that it could be modified within those rules. [/FONT][/FONT]
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Contributing Member

OK, CO2 is out, back to water. The rules do not specify the HUMIDITY level of the cooling air. Do I get clearance for takeoff?

"IF IN DOUBT, DON’T" Remember I never have any DOUBTS about what I am doing, so I would not consider that statement an impingement.

Brian

Well, Give it your best shot.. My guess is this one won't fly..
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Liked: 76

I thought some GT I cars sprayed water on thewre brakes to cool them.
    Butch
    butch deer

The big rigs (Freightliners, Mack's etc) do it when racing but not the GT-1's
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information