Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 110

Default HELP - Need a Ford Diesel Mechanic!

Hi folks,

My "new" truck has been at the shop for a month while they tried to figure out what was wrong with it. After fixing an EGR cooler, hung up brake calipers, dead rear end sensor, and a few other irrotating issues, It is blowing anti-freeze out or presurizing the cooling system and looses a gallon of anti-freeze during about a 1 hour trip.

Please help! I need a diesel mechanic in the Milwaukee area, and I need my truck fixed in a week so I can go to my first National...(prefer in the Oconomowoc area - or Fond du Lac area)

Any thoughts! Lots of smart people on this forum with lots of contacts.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks!
    Corky!

Ctjahn@hotmail.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

PM sent. Sounds like you have a blown head gasket. Check your dipstick and make sure you aren't also getting coolant in the oil; not good for main and rod bearings.

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

When my f-350 blew the water out it was blown headgaskets. That was after the egr cooler was replaced.
    Mine blew without a tuner. Not an easy fix, they remove the cab to get access.
    Sorry,
    John

Default Head Gaskets...

Thanks Folks...
    Thats what I was afraid of....
    No oil in the anti-freeze and no anti-freeze in oil
    Hopefully its covered...5 year 100k warranty.
    May be headgaskets...

Update: Appointment at Service Motors in Fond du Lac tomorrow. Maybe they can assess it and resolve it....Just had some bad luck with this truck...

Corky!
    Last edited by cjahn; 04.22.09 at 3:16 PM.

Liked: 896

The late model F350 diesel has had cylinder head stud problems. Make sure you ask about this.

Thanks ... Jay Novak
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar

Default Die-easel

Jay - Are you sure the head stud issue is only on 350's and not 250's as well.
    Are you talking about 6.4's, or 6.4's and 6.0's?

GC
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 04.22.09 at 7:00 PM. Reason: Figgreed it out

Liked: 896

6.0 engine Glenn & you are right both F250 & F350.

Thanks ... Jay
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Default I should add....

I should add that I thought this issue was resolved based upon research with the other problems by 2005. (Based upon TheDieselStop.com the 2003-04 had issues resolved late in 2004 and solved by 05 but not sure about the head gasket deal.)

My mechanic replaced two sensors, the calipers, changed the oil, filter, and etc and didnt charge me a dime for an honest value of $1200+ in parts. He was very upset that he was unable to resolve the issue in a timely manner. Not to mention he is a dodge expert and not so much a ford expert - the most honest mechanic I have ever found and have even not charged me for labor when he has gone over his estimate. So, if you need an honest dodge mechanic - contact me.)

Corky!

And thanks everyone for the PM's, the e-mails, and replies. Much appreciated.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Fixed

So is it fixed Corky? If not I would check with Marc Blanc and the folks at Schultz Automotive up there. I know their Ford V10 and Diesels are usually tricked out and if they can't fix the issue they would know someone that would know how to fix it.

Default Schultz...

Thanks Joe!!!

Gosh, I didnt even think of Schultz...SHUCKS!

Long story short....or maybe not...

Took it to the Ford dealer this morning. They checked it in at 7:30 am this morning. Diagnosed it as faulty head gaskets. Ordered the parts and started teardown right away (I think the mechnic was actually waiting to dig in because he was hovering...). Apparently Ford says they need to replace the EGR Cooler again (because Ford is very particular about how it is done) before they can replace the gaskets. Called me three times today with status updates before 3pm )

At this point I am out $100 for the whole ordeal for the last month of repairs which is the ford deductable...plus $75 for a hose that was ok but looked a little rough including the rental...

If I choose to go with THEDIESELSTOP.COM forum reccomended ARP head studs, they will cover everything associated with it with the exception of the studs...

They promise to have it done before Thursday (next week). I will believe it when I see it....The contingency plan is a flatbed trailer and a van... Or drive the racecar to the track!- but I may get black flagged.

Feeling better about the situation...I was ready to blow it up for insurance money 12 hours ago.

Corky!

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Good news

That's good news, I would go with the ARP studs and be done with it. I'm really peeved at Ford right now as well since they decided to put cheap studs for the exhaust on my 5.4 engine so 2 broke causing and exhaust leak. While trying to remove the exhausts to replace them all of the others broke which resulted in a considerable amount of labor getting them out of the head. God forbid they spend a dime more and put stainless in there! Good luck hope they get it done for you. Just as they are calling you every 3 hours I would start calling them, is it done, well is it huh huh huh?

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar

Jump at the opportunity to change to the ARP studs vs the stock head bolts. My dealer would not touch them and the local diesel hop up shop wanted 1200 to do it. Be prepared though, them studs aint cheap.

Default What a stud...

Thanks John,

I think I might if they get that deep into it...and dont find any items that are not covered...

I believe I heard prices between $400 and 800!? Geez are they gold plated? Just for the studs??...Any APEX partner who might sell em? If they are cheapr than the dealer I will buy them from an APEX supporter...I cant imagine the dealer would be cheaper...

Corky!

Default Continued...

The second ERG cooler was installed Friday and tested today. Now it is getting new head gaskets....Hopefully by Thursday.

Default Done and.....Done

All done.

Total cost was about $500.00 but I had a lot of extra stuff done that was not necessary but suggested. Deductable was $100.00. They were able to do the EGR, remove the body, do the head gaskets, send them out to check for cracks and warps, and put it all back together and test it in a total of 7 days (5 week days).

Service Motors in Fond du Lac, Wi -

Now we will see what happens. Thank you everyone for the input, help, e-mails, and PM's. I appreciate the info and hope to be heading out tomorrow afternoon...depending if the truck makes it.

Corky!

Liked: 309

I'm wondering what the total bill was? I ask because Thursday evening while driving east on I-80 my 2000 Excursion's 7.3L PSD engine started making loud noises as I got onto the Carquinez Bridge. Then the "check engine" light and high temp warning light came on and the engine started to lose power, and died about 50 yards short of the toll booth.

I got the truck towed home, and Kevin Mitz came up to rescue my trailer (*THANKS!* ), but I am sick to my stomach about the potential cost of repair.

I called around for estimates, and am looking at ~$2700 just to change the head gaskets. However, for the last mile or so as I worked my way over and started looking for a safe pull over (none on the bridge itself) the engine was making loud rattle and banging noises, so I am very concerned about additional damage.

I wonder if buying a rebuilt engine would be cheaper than having the shop just keep digging?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 123

The known head gasket/stud problem is on later engines than yours. The 7.3 is a pretty different beast. Ask on Ford diesel truck forums for advice. It sounds like it could be a fuel issue, rather than a gasket issue, actually.

Brian

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Something to think about, Stan . . . . presently there are some great deals on new (and maybe used) tow vehicles . . . I.e. no interest, 0 down on some Chebby Duallies. Considering tax issues, etc., it might be worth looking into.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Default More drama

Dont buy a 6.0 Ford....

More drama. Long story short, I got to the track but it was an adventure......

Dealer picked up the truck in Milton and arranged for a tow home

Default broke down again

Anyone experience a used lemon? Do I have any options besides dumping it and loosing all the repair costs I put into it? Seller has been non-responsive (used dealer in Chicago) I am done with this thing...(sitting on the highway waiting for a tow)

Update: Service Motors (Fond du Lac) towed it for free to the shop ($250.00), provided a free rental, and fixed the high pressure oil leak. - should be done today. Again, the truck has been a POS, but Service Motors has been truely amazing....
    Last edited by cjahn; 06.01.09 at 7:36 AM.

Liked: 17

Check your state's Lemon Law, but often it just covers new cars.
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 123

I had one like that, a 1994 Dodge Ram. It got 4 transmissions or rebuilds in 6 weeks, as soon as they got it going I traded it on a Chev. So my advice is bite the bullet and trade it.

They will just wholesale it off, and you'll never see or hear about it again.

Brian

Default Its for sale...

Its for sale.

If it doesnt sell I may trade it...Not sure if I want to sell it...I dont want to subject someone to the same issues I have had. Dont want to sell it to a friend...or forum member.

I may trade it...

Corky!
    Last edited by cjahn; 05.31.09 at 9:43 PM. Reason: verbage.

Liked: 0

Default sorry you are having probs....

I have had Fords truck tow vehicles since 1968 or so, both gas and a couple of 7.3 diesels.

My current 2001 CC dually has a 7.3 and has had no major issues, except for water pumps in the 4 years that I have owned it. i am on my 2nd wp.

In the 70's I did have a Dodge 'club cab' (one of the first manufacturers to make a club cab) with a 318 gasser--- many issues with the dodge, so i went back to ford. got a new 78 f250 gasser.... continuous overheating problems, though with that one. nobody could find the problem, so i traded it.

I have heard about issues with the 6.0 but don't know any details.

Hope your luck changes soon.

Thread Information