Liked: 11

Default Never sell a car to family or friends...

I know you've all heard the expression before, but just to remind you-

Never ever ever ever sell a car to family or friends.

I've done it a few times and it has always given me grief- hearing about mechanical issues or dealing with issues of disclosure...
    Just trust me, its not worth it. Sell the car to someone you don't know and as issues come up- which they will on every car on the road- they will deal with the issues without your involvement.

I'd rather deal with an annoyed friend when I tell him I won't sell him the car than risk the friendship when the motor blows in a year (or whatever).

Maybe a race car is different, but I sort-of doubt it.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 551

Now you tell me, after I placed a bid for your RV on ebay.

I guess I'm lucky that I've since been out bid. That's not surprising, though, since my maximum bid was $5,000. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 3772

Never buy a car from family or friend... unless it happens to be Sean. He arranged for Mrs. Frog to get a nice car a few years back. It was one of the best deals ever.

Russ, I was willing to bid up to $47.5K

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 852

Fortunately, I never liked anyone on this board! Anyone got anything else for me to buy?

I wish I was a big spender like PF but Russ already outbid me on the RV.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Broke that rule a few times myself!

I was in the used car biz (part time) for many years to pay for my racing habit! Although I tried to avoid selling to friends and family it was mostly unavoidable as they depended on me for transportation and turning them away would have been like sending Sheep to the slaughter house. I took care of them and don't regret it. One story stands out that is kinda funny. My clueless Brother-in-law was driving a car I sold him that he used to commute great distances to and from College. He called me up one day to say his car was making a "Funny Noise" and would I come by and check it out? I told him to drive and I would listen to it and let me know when it was doing it. After driving a few miles the cars "Low Oil Pressure" warning alarm went off-"That's it!" he exclaimed! "It's been doing that for a week,drives me nuts" I had him pull over and checked the dipstick-nothing showed on the stick (it was a "miler" so consumption was to be expected) so we drove to a local Auto parts store and I bought him a case of Oil and added 3 Quarts till it showed full on the dipstick. I had long ago given up on him as to routine maintainance so I just told him "When THAT buzzer goes OFF again just pour in a Quart of that Oil (from the Case I left in the Trunk) and the noise will go away!" Kinda like a "Rolling Oil Change" schedule? He drove that car for a few more years until one day he called to tell me he "Had a Flat Tire"-I went to help him change it and found out his "Flat Tire" was really a case of removing the entire right front suspension on a center divider curb!! I should write a book?
    Last edited by D.T. Benner; 12.31.07 at 5:09 PM.

Liked: 29

Default You mean!?!

Garey, I'm crushed!!! I thought we were 'buds'...

I can hear you now , "...hell no, you old fart!!"

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 852

Default Oops

Sorry Dave,
    Since I've only lived here for a short time, I haven't perfected the "Southern Charm".

Do ya want to git rid of yur Citation? To a bud like me?!

Sean,
    Do you have a specific story that moved you to start this thread?
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Greg Mercurio

Hey Daryl: Shouldn't you have told him to pour a quart of oil in the engine? Pouring that quart of oil in the trunk will just shorten the agony.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Oil light

I had an old Ford 250 that leaked a lot of oil. Rather then always checking the level I would just wait till the light came on and add 2 quarts. Well I was working on a project with my brother and the light was flashing on the way to the job. I told him to add the oil while I was doing something else. On the ride home the light was still flashing? He confirmed he added oil. Well when we got home I asked him to show me where. Yep, put 2 quarts of oil in the radiator. I guess that was low too.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default OK Greg, I fix it.

Darrell

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Never buy a car from family or friend... unless it happens to be Sean. He arranged for Mrs. Frog to get a nice car a few years back. It was one of the best deals ever.

Russ, I was willing to bid up to $47.5K
    Hey... its still not up to that yet! Might just be keeping that RV.
    Anyway, thanks for saying that Mike, I do try.

Sean,
    Do you have a specific story that moved you to start this thread?
    It's not you Gary... (Gary purchased my trailer) and no, I don't want to mention any specifics. It's just no fun when you do your best to be fair and it ends up becomming a negative situation. For that reason, sell to a stranger (and buy from one).
    Even when everyone agrees not to blame or even tell about problems they may run into it's easier said then done.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Thread Information