Liked: 6

Default Ralt RT5 B Mod 2 liter Autocross 9 time National Winner

For Sale, 1982 RT5 previously owned by Greg Sharnberg and prior to that raced by Ed Pimm. Set up for Autocrossing by Greg and won numerous national titles with his daughter driving. With my friend driving it has taken FTD (other than a few shifter carts) at every regional event we have been to over the last few years since I purchased it and even beats the shifter carts at some events. Greg did an incredible job building the motor in this car, tons of torque throughout the entire rev range. it has a 2.0 VW motor with the Super Vee head. Electronic fuel injection, programmable and the laptop is included. Hewland Mk9 with low fixed 1st gear, annular slave, recently revised the cooling system with an electric water pump and got rid of the external super vee pump. Penske shocks, wider suspension and wheels and tires, recent slicks.
    Nearly ready to run, should have a battery jumper plug (included) installed due to adding the electric pump, and a good look over since it has been sitting for 9 months.
    The most enjoyable car I have ever autocrossed but I only had it out 1 time last year so time to let it go to someone else.
    There are a few youtube videos if you want to see the car in action search
    "Driver comparison SCCA Farm show autocross A mod "
    Asking $17500.00
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 21

That's a very neat package for someone serious about SCCA BM. For those who aren't familiar with that Ralt, it's a very narrow car, the overall width is not much different from the very fastest current crop of formula and sports racers in B-mod.

Final drive, limited slip, and transmission gearing along with engine tuning (cam timing and EFI) are very expensive to change for Solo on ANY car that was originally road raced and this car apparently has all of that done. That's probably worth $10k in parts alone, to say nothing of time spent experimenting and labor installing the gearing to match the motor.

The wings on it now are better than a road race set, but don't look like they even took full advantage of the rules back when they were built.

There have been updates to BM aero rules for both sports racer and formula cars in the last few years for equality, so there is potential left to be had in this car.

Liked: 9

Wow, This looks like a great car. The spec racer BM cars are weak in their suspension area; this is a great combination. For those of us who are not up to speed on the Super Vee, how does this compare to Spec racer BM cars? Hp for 2.0 VW motor? Weight of car? Wheel base and track? What shocks? Any other specifics?
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 63

This looks like a great car for Super Vee Restoration. I has history as Ed Pimm is a known Professional racer.
    Can be ran in Vintage events.

Good price for a quality car.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    Wow, This looks like a great car. The spec racer BM cars are weak in their suspension area; this is a great combination. For those of us who are not up to speed on the Super Vee, how does this compare to Spec racer BM cars? Hp for 2.0 VW motor? Weight of car? Wheel base and track? What shocks? Any other specifics?
    Mark
    What is a BM spec racer?
    Never heard of that.

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by B17overhead View Post
    What is a BM spec racer?
    Never heard of that.
    I thought that was what they call the fully enclosed cars with motorcycle motors that run autocross in B modified.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 308

Default Sports Racers...

I thought that was what they call the fully enclosed cars with motorcycle motors that run autocross in B modified.
    Mark
    Sports Racers not Spec Racers.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Mark
    I see how someone unfamiliar with the class and rules might coin that phase.
    That's pretty good.

You are probably thinking of a sports racer or closed wheel car, probably one at the lowest weight break and smallest motor sizes. The sports racers don't necessarily have to have a motorcycle engine.

What you describe is just one of many possible competitive cars in BM. BM is a growing class with a recently updated ruleset for better equality among many different car approaches.

Hopefully, you will see many different types of cars and motor combinations winning in the coming years.

BM is a class based upon engine size vs weight with numerous weight breaks as well as engine types.

There are motorcycle, automotive, and snowmobile 2-stroke engines allowed where the displacement of the engine for the different type of motor are tied to each weight break.

The aero rules are slightly different for open wheel vs sports racer as well as size (the wider the vehicle, the more aero size allowed). Sports racers derive a large portion of their front downforce from bodywork as well as much larger underbody area, so they have different wing rules than open wheel cars.

Sports Racers and All Open-Wheel Cars Including Formula Atlantics.
    1. May use any automobile-based 2v/cyl engine up to 1300 cc, any 2-stroke motor up to 900 cc, any 4v/cyl or more engine up to 1005 cc.
    Minimum weight with driver: 1020 lbs.

2. May use any 2v/cyl automobile-based production engines up to 1615 cc.
    Minimum Weight with driver: 1110 lbs.

3. May use any 4v/cyl or more engine up to 1615 cc. May use any 2-stroke up to 1300 cc, Mazda 12A rotary with any porting and any carburetion. May use fuel injection without weight penalty as required by the GCR.
    Minimum weight with driver: 1180 lbs.

4. May use any naturally-aspirated engine up to 3000 cc.
    Minimum weight with driver: 1285 lbs.

5. GCR table weight penalties and other restrictions on engine preparation are not applicable.
    6. Minimum rim width: none.
    7. Maximum allowed rim width: 15 inches

See the solo rules for more detail. This above was copied from an old Fastrack so even it may not be exact wording as per current printing. Those are just the engine rules and there is quite bit more on aero as well a how production cars can run in BM.

Liked: 18

Default Sounds like a really fun car

I also think I see a beautiful Lotus 7 in the photos. I am envious.

Default Some additional photos requested

Here are a few other photos with some of the body work off the car. The car weighs approx 1100 pounds and i am guessing on the horsepower at 230 but honestly dont know for sure. I am throwing in a photo of my 23B I have for sale as well which I may post in the sports racer section
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

Default Bmod

Just a quick question,what height (inseam length),weight and shoulder are you? I ask because I have driven a formula Mazda that I could barely have enough room on the sides to steer because you sit down into the car so much.. Thanks Rich

Liked: 310

The previous owner of the car was not a small man. That is Greg on the right of the picture.

Greg in the car.

Last edited by Lynn; 02.28.17 at 5:41 PM.

Rich, I am short at 5"5" but my friend drives the car he is 5'9 or 5"10" and weighs 210 and fits fine, not sure of his exact measurements

Liked: 0

Default fitting in car

Rich, I am short at 5"5" but my friend drives the car he is 5'9 or 5"10" and weighs 210 and fits fine, not sure of his exact measurements

I'll update as I am the other driver. I am 6 ft tall and weigh in at 210 -215 and it fits me fine. We move the seat forward with mike runs, and back when i run and it's no problem and a fantastic car to drive and run. See some split runs here what we loaded comparing runs about 3 years ago. You'll need to see more as they are early videos https://www.youtube.com/user/zoomhom...f_id=0&sort=dd

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by mg000000 View Post
    For Sale, 1982 RT5 previously owned by Greg Sharnberg and prior to that raced by Ed Pimm. Set up for Autocrossing by Greg and won numerous national titles with his daughter driving. With my friend driving it has taken FTD (other than a few shifter carts) at every regional event we have been to over the last few years since I purchased it and even beats the shifter carts at some events. Greg did an incredible job building the motor in this car, tons of torque throughout the entire rev range. it has a 2.0 VW motor with the Super Vee head. Electronic fuel injection, programmable and the laptop is included. Hewland Mk9 with low fixed 1st gear, annular slave, recently revised the cooling system with an electric water pump and got rid of the external super vee pump. Penske shocks, wider suspension and wheels and tires, recent slicks.
    Nearly ready to run, should have a battery jumper plug (included) installed due to adding the electric pump, and a good look over since it has been sitting for 9 months.
    The most enjoyable car I have ever autocrossed but I only had it out 1 time last year so time to let it go to someone else.
    There are a few youtube videos if you want to see the car in action search
    "Driver comparison SCCA Farm show autocross A mod "
    Asking $17500.00
    is the car sold ? any used parts available? contact: Alain at Teamatrat@aol.com THANKS ALAIN

Default Car has been sold thank you apex

Car has been sold thank you apex

Thread Information