Liked: 8

Default 1985 Reynard Formula Ford

1985 Reynard Formula Ford *** SOLD ***

Believed to be an early (all pushrod) chassis, updated to late ’85 (rocker arm) rear suspension. pushrod rear suspension in a box included.

Car has 2 sets of bodywork. orange body is conventional 85f, silver (lightweight autocross) bodywork is (i believe) a one-off. some repairs needed to use silver bodywork. But orange bodywork is much better looking!

Kodiak wheels on car, one set of rains on revolutions, one set of good dries. Rears are mounted on revolutions, fronts currently loose. There are two loose wheels that need slight straightening for those tires.

Engine disassembled in feb. 2016 due to internal noise at idle. #3 piston came out in two pieces. Block overbored and .oo5” o/s pistons installed. all new main and rod bearings installed. Crank and rods magnafluxed. valves lapped and lift checked. Other than pistons, all components are oe ford (possible exception of valve springs.) Engine run in on dyno, and measured 93.6 hp at the wheels, which corrects to ~113 hp at the crank. AFR corrected to 12.8 by Huffaker Engineering and total advance set to 36 degrees on dyno.

Fixed layshaft first gear. Currently geared for 50/74/91/110. Spare gear sets come with the car.

Momo steering wheel

new since 3/15:
    odyssey pc680 battery
    electronic tach
    fuel pump
    rev limiter
    pertronix ignition
    clutch disc and pressure plate
    .005” o/s cp pistons and main and rod bearings (see above)
    6 point m&r pull up harness

spares:
    carburetor
    starter
    Mechanical fuel pumps
    Carb rebuild kit
    various ignition parts
    spark plugs

Price includes pit trailer and quick jack

Asking $9500 or best offer for car.

Carson single axle open trailer also available: $1500.00

I have really enjoyed some autocross moments in the car, though I don't drive it very well. It's way above my capabilities. I'm 5'9" 225 lbs, and I just don't fit very well. Car will accommodate much taller drivers, though being somewhat slimmer through the middle and shoulders than I am might be good. At 61 years old, I find that I'm just not in condition for this car and need to go back to Street or Street Touring.

Both are located in Northern California.

Charlie Davis
    STXE36@gmail.com
    (650)740-7898
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CharlieDavis; 04.16.17 at 1:07 AM. Reason: car and trailer sold

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 309

Default Photo

Recent photo...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Having a hard time attaching photos...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CharlieDavis; 05.07.16 at 9:00 PM.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3

Sorry to see you selling Charlie, but at 62, I understand your reasoning. Hard to keep up with the young folks. For those interested, this is a beautiful CM car that is competition ready. It won't last long.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 74

Quote Originally Posted by george schilling View Post
    Sorry to see you selling Charlie, but at 62, I understand your reasoning. Hard to keep up with the young folks. For those interested, this is a beautiful CM car that is competition ready. It won't last long.
    To add to that, Josh won the National championship last year in an '85 Reynard, and that's the second championship for that car. So, this is a great car for CM.

Barry

Default Price drop: Car for $7900.

I'm dropping the price of the car to $7900 or best offer.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 18

is this car still available?

Liked: 9

It could be. I bought it from Charlie. It is currently sitting in my garage. I was hoping to turn it over to another west coast autocrosser after I did some R&D with the car, but I also don't need two FFs in my garage.

The car has a lot of potential. I've run two events in it and it isn't far off right now. I feel it needs some tweaking to make it a really fast autocrosser, but I think some of that perspective is me sitting in this car back to back with 7 years of R&D in my 82 Reynard. The 82 is really fast. This car is not slow, but it isn't currently as fast as the 82.

Since I bought it I have:

Added some radiator duct work
    Added a muffler
    Swapped gears
    Contemplated a lot of little changes to better fit me and my driving style, but not implemented them yet

Andy

Liked: 0

Default Is this car still available?

Is this car still available?
    Thanks
    Ron

Liked: 80

Just to let you know because I don't think Charlie on Apex anymore but it's Sold

Ben

Liked: 310

Andy Howe has it now and he may be willing to sell it. Ron, 85 Reynards are tight in the shoulder are, but they can be "stretched" a bit.

Thread Information