Thread: 1995 Toyota WSR

Liked: 0

Default 1995 Toyota WSR

Toyota WSR (World Sports Racer) 1995

Built by Smart Performance in 1995 in California for a one-make sports car support series to the IMSA racing series. This car was raced by Fred Bross in SCCA New England Region and won the CSR championship in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010. I purchased the car to race hillclimbs in the northeast. I have raced three hillclimbs since I bought the WSR: Mt Washington, and Burke Mountain twice. See video from the Mt Washington hillclimb in 2014 here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-ajvjUEms

Current Specification
    Chassis
    Mild steel square tube frame chassis. Original roll hoop carefully removed, new full halo cage installed using 1.5 inch x 0.095 wall DOM tubing. Can be converted back to original hoop if desired. Original side protection square tubing removed by previous owner; new side protection round tubes 1.5 inch x 0.095 wall DOM installed by my fabricator.

Body
    Fiberglass bodywork cut and modified to fit around new full cage. Most cuts are short slots to fit the cage tubing. Fiberglass is in reasonable condition otherwise. The rear wing attachment needs fixing.
    Currently the car is fitted with open-wheel bodywork made from .032 aluminum sheet. Large front and rear wings. Aluminum flat bottom has been trimmed to fit the narrower bodywork, but trimmed material has been saved and can be reattached to enable the fiberglass body to be fitted. Lexan windscreen bolted to the cage. Aluminum roof can be fitted.

Engine

• Toyota 4AGE, Loyning cylinder head with shim under bucket tappets
    • Web camshafts part # 45-072 (.398/.398 lift, 257°/257° duration)
    • Toyota adjustable cam sprockets
    • TRD forged racing crank
    • forged rods
    • 12.85:1 JE forged pistons
    • Custom oil sump
    • Electromotive HPX ignition unit
    • Holley fuel pump
    • Weber 40 DCOE twin carburetors
    • New K&N air filter

Transmission is stock MR2 as fitted to the original WSRs. Differential has some kind of spring-loading system to mimic a proper LSD. Radiator moved rearwards and SPAAL electric puller fan was installed. New radiator plumbing, solid aluminum tubing plus flexible silicone tubing.

New Parts
    • Radiator plumbing
    • SPAAL electric puller fan
    • About half of the suspension heim joints are new
    • Momo steering wheel
    • Schroth Formula Harness FIA expiration date XXXX
    • Poured foam seat
    • Starter switch

Spare Parts
    • Weld aluminum wheels with low-use Avon slicks
    • Diamond steel wheels with low-use Hoosier wets
    • JDM transmission apparently with Cusco LSD (but never verified by me)
    • Original roll hoop
    • Original fiberglass radiator ducts through front suspension
    • Original copper radiator

Dodgy Bits
    • The current front wing support is aluminum tubing and angle bolted together. I can’t guarantee it won’t fail, your own solution will probably be better.
    • Electrical wiring is a bit of a mess. Starter wire is broken somewhere.
    • Fuel cell is expired. Also fuel filler neck is cracked a little at the base.
    • Tilton pedal pivots are a bit worn.

Large set of pictures of the car in various stages of development:
    https://goo.gl/photos/y3tJgv5Cbur8LyXQ8

Price $15,000 or best offer. Car is located in Massachusetts. Contact me at email j.melhuis at gmail dot com or PM on ApexSpeed.
    Jamie Melhuish

Extra Parts
    The following are available to the buyer at a negotiable price. If the buyer doesn’t want these parts, I will sell them separately. These were bought by the previous owner but never used. Apparently they came off a sand rail dragster running a Toyota 4AGE engine.
    • TWM intake manifold
    • TWM individual throttle bodies
    • Injectors with fuel rail
    • Custom intake plenum
    • Garrett turbo with integral wastegate. Turbo bearing feels good; compressor spins easily
    • High quality stainless steel turbo headers/manifold, true motorsport quality
    • Assorted intake and exhaust tubing
    • MoTeC M4 ECU
    • Various oil lines with AN fittings
    • Motorsport quality custom wiring harness with fuses and relays
    • Crank sensor and cam sensor and sensor wheels for ECU pickup
    • Four Nissan coil-on-plug ignition coils
    • Walbro GSL 392 fuel pump
    • Fuel regulator with B&M gauge (with broken glass face)
    • MAP sensor PBT-GF30, 3 bar
    • Two GM MAP sensors
    • 5 Wire Wideband Oxygen Sensor Bosch OE # 0 258 007 057

See photos here: https://goo.gl/photos/hDxYhm1DRMDnYffr9
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 0

Default WSR Toyota

Great car looks like a lot of fun I also have a WSR but it is not running right now I need a intake manifold and a rear wing and I can finish this car can you sell me the spare intake for 400.00 ?

Thread Information