Liked: 757

Default 2015 ARRC Formula Ford Race on Toyos

Hot on the heels of our thread about running on Toyo treaded tires at the 2015 ARRC at Road Atlanta, and in the wake of the current discussion on this forum Lee Williams and I would like to formally announce the 2015 Kentledge Cup!

Such has been the interest from our previous thread, the SCCA have been gracious enough to create a sub class within the ARRC Formula F race for all Kent powered Formula Fords running on the Toyo R888. It's a simple recipe - Ford power and longer life treaded tires.

The idea is to have a bit of fun at the end of the season, and make this a mini Formula Ford Festival. All Ford powered cars welcome, what ever the vintage. If we can get enough cars there will be prizes for pre-72, pre-85 and pre-90 cars, as well the overall winners name being immortalized forever in silver on the trophy itself!

If anyone else thinks this sounds like a good plan feel free to pm myself or Lee with your email address so we can keep an idea of potential winners of the inaugural Kentledge Cup!

It's worth mentioning again that this is not anti Honda or anti slick tires - just a group of like minded Formula Fordsters getting together for a thrash around Road Atlanta.

Who's interested!?

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65467
    Last edited by SEComposites; 12.05.14 at 4:24 PM.

Liked: 79

I'm in, and already praying for rain half way through the final!!!
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    Hot on the heels of our thread about running on Toyo treaded tires at the 2015 ARRC at Road Atlanta, and in the wake of the current discussion on this forum Lee Williams and I would like to formally announce the 2015 Kentledge Cup!

Such has been the interest from our previous thread, the SCCA have been gracious enough to create a sub class within the ARRC Formula F race for all Kent powered Formula Fords running on the Toyo R888. It's a simple recipe - Ford power and longer life treaded tires.

The idea is to have a bit of fun at the end of the season, and make this a mini Formula Ford Festival. All Ford powered cars welcome, what ever the vintage. If we can get enough cars there will be prizes for pre-72, pre-85 and pre-90 cars, as well the overall winners name being immortalized forever in silver on the trophy itself!

If anyone else thinks this sounds like a good plan feel free to pm myself or Lee with your email address so we can keep an idea of potential winners of the inaugural Kentledge Cup!

It's worth mentioning again that this is not anti Honda or anti slick tires - just a group of like minded Formula Fordsters getting together for a thrash around Road Atlanta.

Who's interested!?

I suggested this in the spec tire thread months ago for the 2014 ARRC. Nobody bit.

So, I'm in.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 102

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    I suggested this in the spec tire thread months ago for the 2014 ARRC. Nobody bit.

So, I'm in.
    Good things come to those that wait…. so the saying goes.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Default I'm in

Lee, I hope to give you an excellent view of that gearbox you worked on many years ago, maybe twice!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

I was only planning on driving fast enough to lap everyone once Garey, but it's nice of you to offer the double, Thanks!

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 102

Who's interested!?

20 cars signed up in 2 wees for this event. Who wouldn't want that type of interest and turn out at their local venues?
    Each region needs to copy this format.
    The midwest guys need to organize a race either at MidOhio or Road America, the Pacific Northwest guys need to step up also.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 87

Default Def a change from the ARRC in years past...

I have not been to the ARRC for a lot of years, and it was always disappointing how few of FF's that were there....BUT this has all the appearance of really being big!!!
    Select regions can probably host "warm up" events for tire testing, etc and help a bit on the gaining of momentum for this type of venue... four years away from the FF 50th!!!

Mike W

C'mon down Mike! You'd be more than welcome. What car do you have?

We have a Facebook page too!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kentledgecup/

It's a work in progress - I'm not much of a Facebookist!

Please feel free to post photo's of your Formula Fords here!

Liked: 186

If a vintage FF racer were interested in running in the "Kentledge Cup" what would be required for licensing? Would a vintage competition license be accepted? Also, would you accept/accommodate treaded vintage tires (Avon/Dunlop)?

Cheers,

Liked: 87

I fit the 1981 Crossle 45F the best and probably would race it... but I also have a 1969 Merlyn Mk11A, and two 72 Caldwell D9B's and may go that route if a large enough group of pre 72 cars come. Is there a reason why not to break the "club class" at 1981 as usual and keep 1982+ full inboard suspension type cars classed together rather than the break points as posted?
    It seems natural that there is a up to 72 class, 73-81 class, 82 to 90ish class, and 90ish to current class.
    Basicly keeping the DB1's and Reynards together and not in the ultra modern class...Am I correct to think that an almost 50 year old class can be divided in 4 catagories and not three?

Mike Winebrenner

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Hi Mike,
    Nothing is set in stone as far as the year divisions are concerned. Our primary goal is to get as many Formula Fords on track on treaded tires as possible. We don't want to put people off with age group divisions in case a car doesn't quite fit into an earlier class but is not necessarily competitive in the one above. This is more about just getting a bunch of cars out there. We can fine tune age breaks as we get closer so don't be put off! A good selection of vintage cars would be great (I might run my '69 Titan if my VD is not ready). We are thinking that vintage cars can run on their Dunlop/Avon tires if they wish. We are also looking into licensing requirement as some drivers are coming from a vintage club rather than the SCCA.
    Last edited by SEComposites; 12.08.14 at 6:49 PM.

Liked: 1432

Default The "Kentledge" Cup.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kentledge

I see what you did there.

The proverbial "boat anchor".

21. The following 6 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kentledge

I see what you did there.

The proverbial "boat anchor".
    Ok, you got us, nothing wrong with having a laugh at yourself every now and then!!!!

23. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 8

Default 2015

It has been added to my scheulde!

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 280

I'm in. See you there. Calling Tire Rack today.

Joe Marcinski
    1977 Royale RP24

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 553

Default Great video - 1980 Road Atlanta Runoffs ...

Apologies...
    • If this has been posted before, ...
    • or if it's the wrong thread/forum.
    On Facebook there is an interested page called Remembering the Original Road Atlanta. It's fun to see pictures from Pre-T10A days.

Here's a link I saw there and I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it. I certainly did (and was cheering on the GoJo car). :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pURt...ature=youtu.be
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

29. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

Default ARRC Dates: 11/6 - 11/8/2015

The 2015 ARRC will be the weekend of 11/7/2015.

(An earlier SEDiv schedule had it listed a week earlier - 10/31).

31. The following 3 users liked this post:

Another requirement from all Kentledge Cup drivers as ably demonstrated by James Weaver
    Last edited by SEComposites; 11.25.15 at 9:07 PM.

33. The following 4 users liked this post:

Another requirement from all Kentledge Cup drivers as ably demonstrated by James Weaver
    Looks like Old Hall at Oulton?? One of my favorites, alongside every other corner at Oulton!!

35. The following members LIKED this post:

With all the excitement around the new pro series Hoosier tire we just wanted to assure everyone interested in the Kentledge Cup that we are fully committed to Toyo tire!
    Last edited by SEComposites; 11.25.15 at 9:07 PM.

37. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C in Az View Post
    20 cars signed up in 2 weeks for this event. Who wouldn't want that type of interest and turn out at their local venues?
    Each region needs to copy this format.
    The midwest guys need to organize a race either at MidOhio or Road America, the Pacific Northwest guys need to step up also.
    Us Western FF types already have planned a similar event. Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing is planning another FF Invitational (read "all FF, all tires" event during our 2015 Charity Race to be held August 1, 2015 - August 2, 2015 at Colorado's High Plains Raceway.

Ask Reid H. about our 2014 event. He attended (and was a hero fund raiser, I might add). Here's a write up on the 2014 event --- 44 FFs. http://rmvr.com/race-against-kids-cancer/

39. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 30

Default James Weaver

I think that might be Druids at Brands Hatch.

Ian

Last edited by ianashdown; 12.17.14 at 2:38 AM.

Poll results here show a real interest in the Toyo tire -

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...286#post457286

Imagine a 52 car entry for the Kentledge Cup! We'd have our very own Formula Ford Festival on our hands

42. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Haven't been to the ARRC because its a long tow and track time in the past has been very limited. However, this sounds like it may be worth it. Any idea of how much track time we'd get?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

We would love to have you race with us! Track time is really dependent on a few factors out of our control at the moment. The idea of announcing this plan so soon was to gauge the interest so we can build from there. All together Lee and I have had 25 serious inquires about doing this race. Obviously not all of these will translate into entries but in all honesty this could be the biggest Formula Ford race of 2015. Formula Ford at its best.

Any help you or anyone else needs regarding the Toyo tire please feel free to contact Lee or myself here or on our Facebook page. Just search for Kentledge Cup. We'll endeavor to help as much as we can!

Default ARRC schedule-2014 track time response

We weren't a featured group this year with 5 FFs and 1 CF but we had 2 quallies (20 and 15 minutes), a 10 minute warmup RIGHT BEFORE our race, and a 20 lap race.
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

16 hours of towing for an hour on track is hard to sell. I hope, with increased numbers, we can do better than that.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 302

Jim,

16 hours? From Charlotte to RA is about 3.5 hours, so 7 round trip. The worst case from the ne corner of SC looks like it would add another 1 to 1.5 hours. Maybe you are not towing from SC?

Barry

Default ARRC schedule-2014 track time

It should be noted that FV had a championship race of some sort and they had another group they raced in, which was FV only (double the qual and race times). Not sure how the schedule will turn out with our group.

BTW, I think any event with more than 10 car to race against is worth quite a bit of travel time for me! An FF-only group would be even more enticing!
    Garey Guzman

8 hours each way in the RV. Maybe I am as slow off track as on!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 302

Jim, my brain doesn't process RV speeds

I can tow my open trailer at 80 with my trusty 300K Suburban...

51. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 8

Default 2015 arrc

Well for what its worth, my sons and I are seriously considering making the drive from Colorado.
    I'd bring my Crossle for one son and my Caracal FV for the other, we all would love to come. Road Atlanta is one of those must race at tracks in our book and with the Kentledge cup and switch to Toyo's, well lets just say its on the calender and we are starting to make plans to be there.
    I don't even want to think how long our tow will be, probably 50 hrs. round trip, but hey why not, if we can we will.
    Chris Wogrin
    Connor and Cam

53. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Thread Information