Liked: 0

Default Complete Noob, looking to get into Formula Cars

I just got to spend a weekend at Barber with a friend of mine who just got into FE's. I had an absolute blast and am hooked and want to start racing formula cars.

I have like a billion questions, and if you guys could help point me in the right direction that would be great!

- I don't really know what class to do, FE, FC, FM, FB is there a huge performance, ease of maintenance/setup, or average cost to run difference?

- I like the idea of F1000 (my understanding is paddle shifters are only available in F1000) is there any reason to start in a different formula class if that is where I want to end up?

- What price should I expect to pay for a car in the FE, FC, FM, FB car?

- What should I budget for each weekend of racing?

- Where should I do my racing school at? I am sure there are many, but what are the good ones or one to go to?

- I am sure there is a bunch of questions I am not thinking, of... What else should I know or consider?

Liked: 121

You can help yourself to a huge amount of info regarding all your questions right here on Apex. Use the search function and have fun!

Liked: 8

Default A few answers and more questions...........

Racing is a lot of fun! But it does require time, equipment, and "space" as in a garage....

Look at the classified section of this site and research the different cars. I think that a Formula Ford (a club ford) would be a good place to start. You may also look at a Sports Racer Ford (SRF). While not an open wheel car they are a cost effective way of getting into road racing. Then there is the tow vehicle, the trailer, spare parts, wheels, tires, tools etc.....

I do not know your budget, or your mechanical skill level, but I advise you to buy a car in the best possible condition you can afford to start with. You want a reliable car to get you through racing school, and get your license.

Good Luck!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 6

Default formula car

Check out Bertil Roos school. I'd also look at a school where you plan to do most of your racing. All the classes have their advantages and disadvantages. If you've never driven formula before, I'd start in ff or fm. In my opinion fm is a little heavier built safer car and is less expensive to maintain, and very easy to work on. The paddle shifter is a lot easier in the other classes as is the sequential shifter, but you'll find very experienced drivers who are significantly more financially dedicated to winning in those classes. Pick a class where you have a chance at winning and your not spending 5000. a weekend. I have done a cost breakdown of my regional racing for the last 3 years and would be happy to share it with you in pm. I picked formula because it was the fastest (arguably) way around the track for the least amount of initial outlay. In looking back, there are other classes (not formula) that have smaller participation where your chances of winning are greater. Whatever you decide...welcome aboard!

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

If you can make the time come to the Runoffs at Road America - you will be able to see the best of each of the classes you are looking at and lots of people to talk to about their cars and what is involved.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default THE First Question

Should be: Will you be able to spend on and justify the cost of a race car and weekend activity to your girl friend, wife or both?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 861

Default come to a race

You live part way between two great race tracks; Watkins Glen and Lime Rock. There is a race at Lime Rock in two weeks (Sept 20-21st) called the NARRC. You are about 2 hours from the track. A bunch of us will be there, and I can put you on my crew so you can get in for free. Walk round, ask questions, watch some racing, look closely at some FC's, FE's, FF's, CF's, etc.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 83

Default ...between two great race tracks..

And, the Watkins Glen Vintage Grand Prix is this weekend! Practice starts tomorrow, many, many racers there right now, every vintage class. Wander through the paddock and ask away, and you'll even see a few for sale signs. However, my advice is leave your checkbook at home and just take it all in the first time and learn.

Liked: 530

Dear newly hooked on formula cars..

You sound a lot like I did about a year ago. I'm in FE now and my car is 50 miles from you if you're in Fort Johnson, NY. PM me your email, I'll send you some details about how we can link up. I will be out there next weekend and you're welcome to spend a day at the track with me.

Mike

michael.ellis1@verizon.net

Liked: 157

Default Fun One is the following week at the Glen

Which is a great weekend to check out a strong regional racing field. Talking to people who have had the addiction for years and seeing how a race weekend plays out is a great way to see if you are doing the right thing

Liked: 49

If you're asking this after spending the weekend with your buddy, I will assume you have at least an approximate idea of how much he's spending!

The classes you're considering are all pretty fast. It's not impossible for someone with zero racing experience to enjoy and survive racing in those classes, but you'd also do well to learn in something a bit slower, like a FF or (gasp!) FV.

If you're set on the faster cars, F1000s are incredible cars in my opinion and would be my choice if I had the budget for it. They are FAST though, pretty easy to hurt yourself or the car. Sure, you can putz around for a season or so, trying to get used to it. Personally I'd rather get into something I could push hard right away and grow from there, but you wouldn't be the first guy to get into racing way over his head

The best way to pick a class is to attend your local races and see what's popular. You may really love one type of car, and if you're doing track days, definitely pick something you love driving. But once you experience the thrill of RACING, the car you're driving will matter much less. So get something that you can RACE often, with as many people as possible After the novelty of speed wears off a bit, you'll have a lot more fun racing in a slow-ish pack of 10 cars, than blasting around the track by yourself!

Liked: 5

If you were at Barber watching the formula car race you got to see the F600's racing. F600 is targeted at entry level racing and is some of the best bang for the buck racing you will get. We run 600cc motorcycle engines with 6 speed sequential gear boxes and paddle shifters turning 15,000 rpm at redline. The cars sound like a mini F1 car going by. Laps times are comparable to FF yet the cars are 1/2 the cost to buy new and 1/2 the cost to operate. I just bought a competitive engine/transmission shipped to my door for only $1500! Do some searching on rebuild costs for a FF engine or a Hewland transmission. Our engines are so cheap, when they are done we just sell them to a scrap dealer and buy another one. Its cheaper than it costs to rebuild one. As an entry level racer, I would avoid winged cars for your first one. Wings add another level of complication in car setup not to mention they are expensive to replace when you go off track.

Another benefit to the F600's is the F600 Challenge which is a paying race series. The purse for the Barber race weekend for us was $4000 with $3000 of that being tow fund. That means every F600 that showed up and turned a wheel on track got a piece of the $3000 regardless of finishing position! Even with 9 cars there that was enough to cover the tow fuel costs for most of us! We still have two more races left for the season, Mid-Ohio and the ARRC at Road Atlanta. You can also rent a F600 to try out before you buy.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Here is a video from Watkins Glen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugf2s...zEPBqNn9AkF7Rg
    Chris Ross
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 107

Quote Originally Posted by belair View Post
    Racing is a lot of fun! But it does require time, equipment, and "space" as in a garage....
    are you saying someone would actually sell their house, move in a new property, and start a garage renovation project all due to formula car racing?!!? insanity !!!!

BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Liked: 0

First let me say thanks everyone who has helped me out by replying, or emailing with all of their help, several of you have given me your phone numbers to call so we can talk in more depth and I really appreciate all of you being so willing to help me.

I am just crazy at work and life right now, so I probably won't be able to take anyone up on their offer of a phone call or visit for a few weeks, also am going to be busy for the next 3-4 weekends so I won't be able to make it to any of the races that you all have invited to give me crew passes for (thank you so much and if the offer is still good a little later when I have the time I will definitely take you up on it!).

So let me try to hit everyone's questions that you had for me:

- I found the classified section, and am able to get at least an average for what different cars are going for, thank you for pointing that out, I didn't realize there was a classified section.

- My mechanical skill level is not very high (I can change brakes, oil & filter, but after that, can't do to much, I do normally pick it up pretty quick once I have been shown once or twice though) but I have a couple of friends and coworkers that are mechanics (though never on a race or formula car) that I think could help me out in that department.

- I am looking to purchase a car probably sometime next year.

- Are there any racing schools that run at watkins glenn or lime rock?

- I do have a rough idea how much my friend spends per weekend, but it is a little squed because he has a crew that handles 3-6 cars a weekend as well as his car and I don't expect to have to pay that kind of money for a crew.

- I have seen the F600's for rent (there was at least one at Barber) but I didn't get a chance to talk to the guys that ran or rented it. Can you rent cars from the other classes to? If so, could you point me to who rents them and what I should expect to pay for the rental for the weekend? (Ideally it would be great, once I got through school, to rent several different cars and see what one I like the best)

- I haven't been able to find an "average cost per weekend" that I should expect it to cost me for each of the classes. I want to make sure that after the purchase price I can run at least 6 race weekends (regionally only) each year.

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

I'll shoot you a PM with Clint McMahan's contact info for discussing renting a F600. Buccaneer Region puts on an awesome driving school around the 1st or 2nd weekend in February at Roebling Road. Very safe and easy track to learn on. Clint rented one of his car to a driver to complete the school in and he has rented from Clint several times since then for other races in the South East.

Cost per weekend can vary a huge amount even in the same class depending on whether you are running a shoe string budget at a local track less than 2 hr from your house to a full blown nationally competitive effort running the Majors and the Runoffs. For F600 figure anywhere from $1000 or maybe less for a weekend for a shoe string budget running old tires at a local track, sleeping in the trailer/camping, and cooking. Top level could be as much as $2-3K a weekend for fresh tires, long distance tow, hotel, restaurants, etc. This excludes crash damage.
    Chris Ross

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: Complete Noob, looking to get into Formula Cars

All inclusive race weekend for FC is $1500 to $2000. Travel, entry, tires, pro-rated rebuilds or new crate engines. Costs go up with frequent new tires, damage... by all means, get to a race & try some on for size... many options
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Thread Information