Thread: Jeff Bower

Liked: 120

Default Jeff Bower

SALISBURY— A crash at Lime Rock Park has claimed the life of a 70-year-old New York man who was injured when his car went off the racetrack Friday afternoon, state police said.

Jeffrey Bower, 70, of Chester, N.Y., was fatally injured about 2:30 p.m. Friday.

There is a regional race for Sports Car Club of America at the track this weekend, said track spokesman Rick Roso. The track was being used for practice and qualifying rounds on Friday, he said.

Spectators and drivers said Bower was driving a Formula V car, described as an open-wheel car with a Volkswagen engine.

While driving down a straight portion of the track at a speed that exceeded 100 mph, Bower did not make a turn and crashed into a wall, spectators said.

Read more: http://foxct.com/2013/06/22/driver-i...#ixzz2X2CLlSgU

Liked: 0

We were chatting with Jeff early Friday morning, raced with him in the AM qualifier, and then spent a half-hour with him at impound. Both of us had come in early - he because he thought he might have a loose rocker arm, me because I was just scrubbing tires. He was back at our RV at lunchtime when he was looking for some parts for his D13 that was newly rebuilt after a serious accident at the Glen last year. In what I believe was the second lap of our afternoon sprint, his car drifted right on the front straight and onto the grass and went across Big Bend and into the tire wall. And that was it.

We ran 4 or 5 laps with a yellow just at Big Bend. We could clearly see his car buried in the tire wall. When the ambulance came out of pit road at full speed and cutting off FVs on the track, we knew it wasn't good. When the state troopers showed up, we knew it wasn't good. When we saw EMTs crying, the writing was on the wall. Dammit.

Jeff was a good man and a tough competitor. And a master bodywork man, too. His restoration of the D13 was remarkable. He was really proud of that car and gave Ann Marie and I the full story and rundown on it on Friday AM. It was hard to deal with his passing on Friday PM. It was even more difficult to race on Saturday especially during and after the Missing Man formation on the AM pace laps.

We don't know definitively what happened. The rumor is that it was a sudden health issue. We'll just have to wait and see.

Bye Jeff

Photo from Friday morning: Jeff on L, your writer on R.
    Last edited by Halifax; 06.23.13 at 7:11 PM.
    FV Lynx/B #8

Liked: 22

It was a very somber morning at the track yesterday, especially for all of us in group 2.

They say, If you have to go, go doing what you love. I took some solace without knowing Jeff that this was his passion as evidenced by his restoration of the D13.

God Bless,

Default Thank You

Halifax,

You're description of Jeff was perfect. He was good Friend and a solid "car guy" that I will miss every day. He loved that D13 and was really proud of how it turned out, he put the same kind of passion and effort into everything he did. He was an interesting guy for sure and like all good friendships we figured out a way to deal with each other, and it worked for twenty years. My life is better for that.

I'd like to thank the small bore formula guys for the well executed missing man lap on Saturday morning. He would have liked that...

Thanks for the photo,

Bob Dowie

Liked: 157

Default Sad news, thanks for posting

Harry, thanks for posting your story. The rest of us in the other groups did not know him, but were at first concerned and then saddened as the day progressed and the news was that he did not make it. The personal touch of your story helps.

I feel for his family and friends as they mourn. The missing man formation touched all of us watching yesterday

Steve

Liked: 127

Was a very ssd weekend. Had chills and goosebumps inthe car during the missing man formation. I never had the opportunity to meet him, but hopefully he enjoyed our small tribute Saturday morning.

My regards to all his friends and family
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 21

I typed this up Saturday evening in response to a few questions and texts I received:

Writing this because I am always wondering when I hear of a tragedy "Is there anything I can do to make myself safer racing?". Also, because I was the car closest behind Jeff when he went off.

Friday afternoon session, qualifying sprint, gridded based on times in the morning session. Best time of Friday's two sessions sets grid for Saturday AM and times Friday afternoon were going to be slower than the morning because of track temps. I assume it was close to 85-90 ambient. Top three finishers in the sprint go to impound to be weighed, but no points, contingency, or trophies.

Green flag flies and I immediately work on my plan - finish lower than third and work on finding speed in West Bend. The first part of my plan was to work my way back in the field and get some space. Jeff, and a few other vees before him, went by me and no one else was close enough to let by so I started working up some speed on the back section.

I came down the down hill and saw Jeff on the front straight about 50-100 yards in front of me. Close enough that when he started going off the line to the right around the start/finish I figured he was letting me by. My first thought was "that's weird cause I'm kind of far back, but whatever" and then it was "oh ****" as he missed the Armco driver's right by feet and crossed the grass inside the first apex of Big Bend, hopped the lip back onto the track, and continued straight across the track and out towards the tires towards the runoff area. At that point I turned into Big Bend and lost sight of him.

My first thought was "he lost the brakes - I wonder fronts or rears?". I had lost a brake line at NHMS a few years back into three and immediately had sympathy for Jeff and the bill he was going to face for repairs.

I continued on not seeing Jeff contact the tire wall, but knowing that he must have, but hopefully he was ok. The checkered flew a handful of laps later - not really sure on the exact number.

I finished fourth - so no impound. Headed to the trailer to pack up. As I was packing up I started going through the incident in my head. If Jeff lost the brakes why not go down the long runoff at the end of the straight? Why go right? If Jeff lost steering why not lock them up? And then it clicked and I had my real "oh ****" moment and things got really weird inside.

Within minutes one of the Stewards pulled up in a golf cart and asked me to come to the tower because they would like to talk to me. That’s when that weird feeling inside became an understanding. An interview and whiteboard drawing later I had a witness form to fill out. Form filled out I headed home and hoped for the best. No one would tell me anything concrete, but I knew he was gone before he left the track. I got the news this morning from the forums as I searched for new threads.

This morning we had a warm-up lap with the vees leading the field and the pole spot open for Jeff to start our race. It was a tough lap seeing the corner workers; their salutes and the looks on their faces.

I am so thankful for the work that the flaggers and other volunteers do. Amazing job by them based my personal interactions – yesterday especially.

Overall – yesterday sucked but it comforts me that Jeff went out the way he wanted - headed down the front straight with no one in front of him.

I received an SMS from a friend in Connecticut this morning that there had been a fatal incident at Lime Rock on Friday. I was deeply saddened to find out it was a long time member of our FV fraternity.

I had raced frequently with Jeff over the past 15 years and he was a true gentleman on and off the track. He will be greatly missed in our hearts.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Jeff

Colin
    FV88

I just heard about this crash for the first time this morning. While I didn't know Jeff personally, this accident hits close to home. Hopefully he did die before his accident, not because of the accident.

RIP Jeff

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by craigs View Post
    I typed this up Saturday evening in response to a few questions and texts I received:

Writing this because I am always wondering when I hear of a tragedy "Is there anything I can do to make myself safer racing?". Also, because I was the car closest behind Jeff when he went off.

Friday afternoon session, qualifying sprint, gridded based on times in the morning session. Best time of Friday's two sessions sets grid for Saturday AM and times Friday afternoon were going to be slower than the morning because of track temps. I assume it was close to 85-90 ambient. Top three finishers in the sprint go to impound to be weighed, but no points, contingency, or trophies.

Green flag flies and I immediately work on my plan - finish lower than third and work on finding speed in West Bend. The first part of my plan was to work my way back in the field and get some space. Jeff, and a few other vees before him, went by me and no one else was close enough to let by so I started working up some speed on the back section.

I came down the down hill and saw Jeff on the front straight about 50-100 yards in front of me. Close enough that when he started going off the line to the right around the start/finish I figured he was letting me by. My first thought was "that's weird cause I'm kind of far back, but whatever" and then it was "oh ****" as he missed the Armco driver's right by feet and crossed the grass inside the first apex of Big Bend, hopped the lip back onto the track, and continued straight across the track and out towards the tires towards the runoff area. At that point I turned into Big Bend and lost sight of him.

My first thought was "he lost the brakes - I wonder fronts or rears?". I had lost a brake line at NHMS a few years back into three and immediately had sympathy for Jeff and the bill he was going to face for repairs.

I continued on not seeing Jeff contact the tire wall, but knowing that he must have, but hopefully he was ok. The checkered flew a handful of laps later - not really sure on the exact number.

I finished fourth - so no impound. Headed to the trailer to pack up. As I was packing up I started going through the incident in my head. If Jeff lost the brakes why not go down the long runoff at the end of the straight? Why go right? If Jeff lost steering why not lock them up? And then it clicked and I had my real "oh ****" moment and things got really weird inside.

Within minutes one of the Stewards pulled up in a golf cart and asked me to come to the tower because they would like to talk to me. That’s when that weird feeling inside became an understanding. An interview and whiteboard drawing later I had a witness form to fill out. Form filled out I headed home and hoped for the best. No one would tell me anything concrete, but I knew he was gone before he left the track. I got the news this morning from the forums as I searched for new threads.

This morning we had a warm-up lap with the vees leading the field and the pole spot open for Jeff to start our race. It was a tough lap seeing the corner workers; their salutes and the looks on their faces.

I am so thankful for the work that the flaggers and other volunteers do. Amazing job by them based my personal interactions – yesterday especially.

Overall – yesterday sucked but it comforts me that Jeff went out the way he wanted - headed down the front straight with no one in front of him.

Thank you for this first hand view of what happened Craig I'm sure it's not somthing easy to talk about after seeing it happen.

I remember last year when Jeff twisted his car very badly at the Glen and contacted me about my D13 as he loved those cars and mine was for sale. He decided to rebuild his I believe as he called me back and asked if I had any spare parts. I sent him a spare exhaust system for the cost of shipping because that's how the FV people are, someone (well many have helped me) and this was my chance to help someone and make a new friend. Jeff was a very nice guy on the phone but I never was able to meet him in person. Just remember that he was doing something we all share passion for.
    Mark Filip

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

As sad as this was then and now it is important to keep something in mind.
    Jeff died at LRP.
    Jeff was not "killed" at LRP.
    Huge difference obviously.
    This is far from the first time a driver has passed away, either in the car or paddock, due to huge health issues unconnected to racing or any given race track.
    Regardless, when one of the seemingly shrinking family of club racers in general and open wheel racers in particular passes it hits all of us.
    Saturdays Missing Man pace lap in Jeffs memory really stirred a lot of emotion in the cockpit and clearly on the flag stations.
    Safe journey Jeff........

Liked: 5

Default Very sorry to hear

I learned of this yesterday and have been deeply saddened. I was part of the NARRC group for four years and know so many of the drivers, crew, officials and volunteers. I wish I could be there to grieve with you all. Thanks, Harry and craigs for sharing your stories.

Condolences to Jeff Bower's family and friends, and best wishes to all.
    Sherman
    2006 Stohr WF-1

Does anyone know, or have his address so I can send a RIP card too?

I'm sure there are others that would like to send cards also.

This situation really sucks regardless of how it really happened. It's almost like a long lost family member has died

Brian
    Last edited by Brian331; 06.25.13 at 6:34 AM.

Hi Brian,

Following Jeff's wishes the service will be a private family affair. I'll post an address soon, hopefully this evening where you can share your thoughts with his children.

Thanks, Bob

His passing is a loss for all of us in SCCA. Sometimes we forget that we are taking risks when we race, risks that can exacerbate a health issue.

I hope everyone pays attention to their body and listens if things don't seem quite right. Rest assured, that you will have an entire crew of people to help out if you do have something going on, so your stuff will get tended to. And there is always a crew in medical at every track who will look after you, so if in doubt please get checked out. We don't want to lose anyone else.

My sympathy to his family and friends, to Bob Dowey and the folks who witnessed the event. Hopefully we won't have this happen again in the near future.

RIP Jeff.
    Stephanie Funk
    NER

Default Address

Jeff's family address...

Janette Bower
    110 Cabrini Blvd Cottage 1
    New York, New York

Liked: 94

RIP, fellow FV racer and condolences to his family.

Matt
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Crash injuries caused death of driver in Lime Rock fatality

BY BRIGITTE RUTHMAN REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN

SALISBURY -- The driver of a Formula Vee race car that crashed into a tire wall Friday at Lime Rock Park died of injuries suffered as a result of the collision, not as the immediate result of a medical condition, the State Medical Examiner's Office in Farmington ruled Monday.

Jeffrey Bower, 70, of Chester, N.Y., died as a result of blunt chest and abdominal trauma following the 2:30 p.m. accident.

Track spokesman Rick Roso said it would not be unusual for a Formula Vee race car to crash without showing skid marks, one of the barometers of a crash measured by police in follow up investigations to help determine a cause.

State police were called to investigate, but have not released any findings.

"It appears he did start to turn, then went off into the grass and into the tire wall," Roso said.

Tire walls are made of tires folded in opposite directions and stacked to take some of the impact off the driver in a high-speed crash.

Bower's car, a popular small open wheeled car with a Volkswagen engine, was not seriously damaged even though it was traveling at speeds in excess of 100 mph before reaching a section of the track known as "Big Bend."

Bower rebuilt the car after a crash more seriously damaged it at a race last year at another venue, according to friends and fellow racers who gave tribute to Bower through Apex Speed, an online track forum.

"It had what we would call all four corners and all its wheels still on," said Roso, who explained that the car is designed to take the impact of a serious crash to protect the driver.

Bower was part of a group of Sports Car Club of America members who rented the track for the weekend to practice and race against one another.

The crash occurred during a qualifying round for a Saturday race. The track's ambulance and fire crews are on standby at all race events and were immediately dispatched. Bower was taken to Sharon Hospital.

Although many professional race car drivers are much younger, Roso said SCCA members are hobbyists who are typically 40-70 years old and travel around New England to test their cars and their skills.

Drivers are required to pass a health examination before racing.

"This is what they do," Roso said.
    FV Lynx/B #8

Liked: 8

SALISBURY -- The driver of a Formula Vee race car that crashed into a tire wall Friday at Lime Rock Park died of injuries suffered as a result of the collision, not as the immediate result of a medical condition, the State Medical Examiner's Office in Farmington ruled Monday.

Jeffrey Bower, 70, of Chester, N.Y., died as a result of blunt chest and abdominal trauma following the 2:30 p.m. accident.

Track spokesman Rick Roso said it would not be unusual for a Formula Vee race car to crash without showing skid marks, one of the barometers of a crash measured by police in follow up investigations to help determine a cause.

"It appears he did start to turn, then went off into the grass and into the tire wall," Roso said.

That certainly does not sound like the incident described to me. If you are in the grass in the braking zone you are not trying to start a turn, and the unusual thing
    would be for a car to crash without any skid marks or maneuvers to minimize the impact angle. It infuriates me to read newspaper stores describing how he " lost contol of his car " He was obviously in distress when he drifted off into the grass, driver's right at the entrance to the turn, went straight across the track, and straight into the tire wall.

I feel blessed that I was able to talk to him twice on Friday. Tom and Nick Galuardi
    went out and got number 58s for the Vee drivers, and Mike Rand and Mike Brent asked for them also for the Fords and F500s. As Mike Rand put it, " We are all
    family " Dave Panas, a steward came up with the idea of putting the Vees out front with the missing man formation for the first pace lap, and at the start of the second
    pace lap, the Vees split apart, and the CFFs and F500s went up the middle, and took their qualifying spots. It all worked very well, and I was very moved by the workers all being trackside with their hats off, and hands over their hearts. Thanks to all of your for the gesture of respect.

Bruce Rodman
    FV 55

Sorry to here the passing of Jeff Bower, He was a good man, always willing to lend a hand when needed. My condolences to his family and friends.
    RIP Jeff, you will be missed.

Roger Siebenaler , FV-72

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by veeracer55 View Post

That certainly does not sound like the incident described to me. If you are in the grass in the braking zone you are not trying to start a turn, and the unusual thing
    would be for a car to crash without any skid marks or maneuvers to minimize the impact angle. It infuriates me to read newspaper stores describing how he " lost contol of his car " He was obviously in distress when he drifted off into the grass, driver's right at the entrance to the turn, went straight across the track, and straight into the tire wall.

I feel blessed that I was able to talk to him twice on Friday. Tom and Nick Galuardi
    went out and got number 58s for the Vee drivers, and Mike Rand and Mike Brent asked for them also for the Fords and F500s. As Mike Rand put it, " We are all
    family " Dave Panas, a steward came up with the idea of putting the Vees out front with the missing man formation for the first pace lap, and at the start of the second
    pace lap, the Vees split apart, and the CFFs and F500s went up the middle, and took their qualifying spots. It all worked very well, and I was very moved by the workers all being trackside with their hats off, and hands over their hearts. Thanks to all of your for the gesture of respect.

Bruce Rodman
    FV 55

This sounds nothing like what craig saw while on track behind Jeff. Seems odd he would just drift right and almost hit the armco and this starting around start finish, he would have hit brake or turned by then unless he lost both steering and brakes which is highly unlikely or he was suffering from a medical issue.
    Mark Filip

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4345

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    This sounds nothing like what craig saw while on track behind Jeff. Seems odd he would just drift right and almost hit the armco and this starting around start finish, he would have hit brake or turned by then unless he lost both steering and brakes which is highly unlikely or he was suffering from a medical issue.
    It does sound like a political/legal conclusion. RIP Jeff.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 175

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    It does sound like a political/legal conclusion. RIP Jeff.
    As I read it, the medical examiner ruled that Mr. Bower died of crash injuries and did not die before the collision as a result of a medical condition. This certainly does not rule out the possibility/probability that Mr. Bower was unconscious or incapacitated as a result of a medical condition prior to impact.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by David Locke View Post
    As I read it, the medical examiner ruled that Mr. Bower died of crash injuries and did not die before the collision as a result of a medical condition. This certainly does not rule out the possibility/probability that Mr. Bower was unconscious or incapacitated as a result of a medical condition prior to impact.

EXACTLY right. Based upon my personal experience (stroke and congestive heart failure) they are things that can incapacitate you and not be fatal in and of themselves.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 5

I am with Bruce on this one. I listened to Matt Rodman's account of the incident from his vantage point in the tower who stated Jeff seemed to just drift off track like he was asleep at the 4 marker. I was also with Matt when he committed that statement in writing to the Stewards. While it doesn't change the outcome I disagree with Mr. Rosso's explanation of what he believes is typical in formula vee crashes. Having driven FV's for over 30 years I can tell you they stop very quickly when the brakes are applied and the distance covered by Jeff from marker 4 to the tire barrier under the LRP scoreboard is an awfully long way to not invoke any measures for bringing the car under control.

Unfortunately reading this comes on the heels of losing a long time FV driver which just doesn't feel right having been there.

My deepest sympathy is expressed to Jeff's family.

Jim Regan

Contributing Member
    Liked: 53

Jeff will be missed. The missing man formation lap was extremely emotional for me as we circulated slowly around the track.
    It was a great trubute to Jeff to see all the workers and Stewards pay their respect and salute Jeff.
    Thank you to the F500 and CFF guys for putting on Jeffs "58".
    Tom Galuardi

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

I'd like to believe Jeff this world on the straight, long before his car hit the wall. Godspeed !!!
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Obit:

Jeffrey L. Bower was killed in a Formula V racing accident at Lime Rock Park in Salisbury, Conn., on Friday, June 21, 2013.

Automobile racing had been his lifelong passion and avocation. He had competed in races throughout the northeastern U.S., notably at Lime Rock, Conn.; Watkins Glen, N.Y.; and Pocono Raceway, Pa.

Mr. Bower, a resident of Chester, N.Y., was 70 years old. He was plant manager for Belwood Aromatics in Ringwood, N.J.

Mr. Bower was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania, the son of Eleanor Cornell Bower and Dr. Ernest Z. Bower Jr. He spent his childhood in Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, and was a graduate of Abington Heights High School, Keystone Junior College and earned an engineering degree at Farleigh Dickinson University.

He is survived by his older brother, Ernest Z. Bower III of Lilburn, Ga.; and younger sister, Lisa Cornell Bower of San Francisco; he was the father of Jeffrey L. Bower Jr., Janette Lisa Bower and Cindi Williams Sinaird; and the grandfather of Pyper Dillow-Bower, Perle Victoria James and Noah Herndon.

Funeral services will be private and at the convenience of the family. Memorial contributions may be made to a worthy cause dear to the hearts of the donors.

Published in Scranton Times on June 25, 201

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/the...26#fbLoggedOut
    FV Lynx/B #8

Folks,

I had the chance to spend a few hours with Jeff's family last week. They have been following this thread and were truly comforted and moved by the thoughts shared here by his racing friends, as well as the tribute offered on Saturday morning. You guys are the best...

Thank you all, Bob Dowie

Track crash claims life

Thu, 06/27/2013 - 9:28am

By Karen Bartomioli

karenb@lakevillejournal.com

SALISBURY — A 70-year-old New York man died after a crash on the track at Lime Rock Park June 21.

Jeffrey Bower of Chester, N.Y., was racing with the New England chapter of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA), which had reserved the track for weekend club racing. Practice and qualifying rounds were being held Friday.

Bower was driving a Formula V open-wheel, open-cockpit car. Rick Roso, director of public relations for Lime Rock Park, said that the Formula V cars are small, lightweight vehicles that are popular with amateur racers. They typically reach speeds on the track of 85 to 100 mph.

Roso said that, because of HIPAA regulations, the track does not know the details of how Bower died.

He could say that at about 2:30 p.m. on June 21, the SCCA club member was driving along the Sam Posey Straight headed for a curve called the Big Bend.

He lost control and crashed into the tire wall there. The crash did not seem particularly catastrophic to onlookers, Roso said.

“There was no report that there was anything extraordinary about this lap,” he said, “not even in the tire tracks up to the tire wall.”

He said that it’s not uncommon for drivers to go off the track at the Big Bend but it is not a curve that is considered to be particularly life-threatening.

“At any curve,” he said, “a driver can enter too quickly and go off the road. And once you’re in the grass, whether you’re in a street car, a racecar or on a bicycle, you don’t have as much control.”

Bower was taken to Sharon Hospital.

No foul play is suspected, but State Police are investigating.

Lime Rock Park released a statement saying, “As both race fans and those of us in the business know, racing can be a cruel sport at times. This past weekend — at Lime Rock, Le Mans and the Nurburgring — three drivers lost their lives doing what they loved. We extend our thoughts and prayers and sympathies, to their families.”

[This is from the Lakeville Journal, our local paper in NW CT]
    FV Lynx/B #8

Thread Information