Liked: 22

Default Formula Vee on Steroids

Found this on e-bay, FV with a corvair engine transplant and wings... cool!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHRIN...cd7e281b#v4-39

This unique offering is for a Chevy Corvair powered open wheel race car. It was purchased here in Indianapolis 10+ years ago and has been stored in my hanger since then. The owner (who's name is painted on the car) and driver was Stan Lethig of Stan's Auto Electric Company of Indianapolis. He regularly drove it in local Shriner's parades. It displays USAC annual car registration stickers on the rear wing.Their dates range from 1988 to 1993. I was told that this car may have been constructed by popular local race car builder, Grant King. However, I have not attempted to verify this story. The body work is fiberglass.The steering wheel is a "quick release" racing style.The chassis which is constructed mainly of welded square box steel tubing could have originally been powered by a Volkswagen engine and operated as a Formula "V" racer earlier in its life. It's now powered by a Chevrolet CORVAIR air cooled 6 cylinder engine which is mated to a VW transaxle which uses a hydraulic clutch actuator.The front axle is VW. The 15" x 8.5" HALIBRAND ENGINEERING 5 spoke MAGNESIUM WHEELS were made around 1963-66 for LOTUS INDYCARS.The wheels use a 4.25", 5 pin or lugnut pattern (the same 5 lugnut pattern and size as the 60's vintage FORD MUSTANG) The wheels have "LOTUS" cast into their backside. There have been no attempts at starting the engine.This car is offered and will be sold exactly as it is pictured.

Liked: 49

Could this have been part of the transition from FSV to FA? Looks weird, but should be fun to try haha..

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Crazy rig, but I think those badass wheels are worth more than the rest of the car.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 1397

There were several cars like this that were built for the Speedway Shriners. And Grant King did build at least one.

One of my old Zink FV went to the Shriners.

A certain amount of noise was desirable during the parades and FV engines were not sufficient. Aircooled cars were best because of heat issues.

I would think twice about going to the track with that car.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    Crazy rig, but I think those badass wheels are worth more than the rest of the car.
    Same thing I thought, but still doesn't justify the starting price....

Liked: 0

Run AM solo with it. That way if something falls off you won't be going that fast.

Thread Information