Liked: 0

Default 1982 viking formula ford

1982 VIKING FORMULA FORD..same car Bob Lobenberg drove at the 40th FF Reunion event. Also, it is the same car the Bob won the 1982 SCCA Championship with. It has a fresh Loyning rebuild, car and engine..engine has dyno time only. The car is now in the Oregon Historical Museum on display as a part of an Oregon exhibit of Oregon racing history. Pictures of the car can be seen on this website by searching "Viking Formula Ford". These pictures are of the car at the 40th Reunion. Due to the fact that I am exiting racing, I am offering this car at $18,500 or "all reasonable offers considered". Some spares are included as well as a set of spare wheels.
    Reynold Watt, renbarb@aol.com, or cell phone 503-260-9434

Last edited by Reynold Watt; 10.02.11 at 11:18 PM. Reason: to add photos

Liked: 190

Reynold,

Forum rules, all classifieds must have a price. If not, the ad will be removed.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 190

Thank you for posting the price
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Default Tacoma boys

I used to hang around a bunch of racers in Tacoma Wa. in the late 60's and early 70's. There was Jann Helzer, Arnie Loyning, Marty Loft and John Taylor. John Taylor had a garage in the north end of Tacoma where we worked on the race cars. Taylor had a Lotus 23 and Loyning and Loft had a Lotus Elan. Later on Taylor and Loyning formed a company in Portland called Viking Racing. They were building a Formula Ford in an old barn about 1975-76. They also had an engine dyno and a couple cars they rented out. I lost touch with them about that time, but I believe this car is the one they built. Here are a couple of pictures from those days- The #2 car was Taylor in the Titan Mk6 purchased from Marty Loft and used as a rental. The 3 cars are Taylor, Tom Weichman and Arnie Loyning at Seattle.
    Would like to hear from any of these guys or from someone who might know where they are. ( I know Loyning is still in Portland)

Glenn

Artie still runs a engine shop in Portland. Loyning Engines. His business number is 503 775 2999

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by pitgopher View Post
    I used to hang around a bunch of racers in Tacoma Wa. in the late 60's and early 70's. There was Jann Helzer, Arnie Loyning, Marty Loft and John Taylor. John Taylor had a garage in the north end of Tacoma where we worked on the race cars. Taylor had a Lotus 23 and Loyning and Loft had a Lotus Elan. Later on Taylor and Loyning formed a company in Portland called Viking Racing. They were building a Formula Ford in an old barn about 1975-76. They also had an engine dyno and a couple cars they rented out. I lost touch with them about that time, but I believe this car is the one they built. Here are a couple of pictures from those days- The #2 car was Taylor in the Titan Mk6 purchased from Marty Loft and used as a rental. The 3 cars are Taylor, Tom Weichman and Arnie Loyning at Seattle.
    Would like to hear from any of these guys or from someone who might know where they are. ( I know Loyning is still in Portland)
    The car in second place in the photo, might be an ADF...nice photos

Liked: 9

tom is in the lola t440 with number 37 on it. I do not know who is in the adf.
    tom is living with wife june in north carolina i think....area code is 352.
    spoke to him yesterday.
    also arnie built several of these cars and i built some of the frames and suspension pieces for them. he was the guy to do the radiator under the roll bar thing before swift.
    tom weichmann bought one in 1982 also. arnie made the first of these in 81, i think, with the shock in the wind and refined the car in 82 with rockers at both ends
    Last edited by archie; 08.23.12 at 8:38 AM.

Liked: 32

The one and only 81 Viking has always been the one that got away for me. Last I knew it had settled down from changing owners to someone doing a full restoration. I have not seen any in progress photos but maybe he will bless us and add to this thread.
    Last edited by AJWALKER; 11.21.14 at 8:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    tom is in the lola t440 with number 37 on it. I do not know who is in the adf.
    tom is living with wife june in north carolina i think....area code is 352.
    spoke to him yesterday.
    also arnie built several of these cars and i built some of the frames and suspension pieces for them. he was the guy to do the radiator under the roll bar thing before swift.
    tom weichmann bought one in 1982 also. arnie made the first of these in 81, i think, with the shock in the wind and refined the car in 82 with rockers at both ends
    Actually, John Taylor was the one who put the radiator behind the seat - Before Loyning and Taylor joined up to form Viking Racing, Taylor was still in Tacoma in that north end garage. He was also building a Formula ford chassis- I helped him with the first wooden mockup, then cut and fitted tubes for the first regular chassis, he had a radiator mounted behind the seat area and in front of the motor- air was to be pulled from under the car by a big fan driven off the flywheel behind the engine. He talked a lot about getting the entire rear area sealed so all the air would pull from under the car and there was speculation that the engine bay would actually be in a vacuum, providing some boost to the air entering the carb. His chassis also was fully welded with a roll hoop over the steering wheel and all around the engine. Most of the cars back then had a removable cross member across the rear to pull the engine. In Taylor's car, you removed the radiator and slid the engine forward to clear the gearbox and lift it out. Having the engine bay fully welded was supposed to make the chassis a lot stiffer. I don't know if that chassis ever got finished, I think there were just too many different ideas all rolled into one car to ever sort out, but some of those concepts ended up in the Viking design when Taylor and Loyning were partners. Another feature of that Taylor design was a high nose like current F-1 cars. Taylor's idea was to put the pedal assembly up high so air would pass under the nose then flow under the seat bottom and up to the radiator creating an upside down wing shape to get downforce.

Thread Information