Liked: 0

Default Question: Best practice for Fuel Cell Storage

I had to invest in a new fuel cell this last spring and it was a considerable investment as Im sure you know. Is there anything I should do for the bladder durring the non racing winter months to prolong the life of the fuel cell bladder. Keep it Full of fuel or drain it and let it dry, or put some kind of addative or conditioner in it ???? Looking for your suggestions and experience.

Thanks, Hail Mary Racing

Liked: 210

No addative or conditioners.

There are mixed thoughts on keep it FULL to the top over the winter or drain and let dry out.

We just had an 89 and 90 Reynard. The 90 cell had never been out of the car till we opened it up. Yes it was probably wet the entire 20 years. Yes the rubber bladder was clearly saturated with fuel.

My suggestion would be drain and dry in car. Not only does the bladder get soaked but, the foam begins to fall apart too.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 553

Whatever you do, don't let the cell sit with street gas with ethanol blend. I made that mistake last year.

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Whatever you do, don't let the cell sit with street gas with ethanol blend. I made that mistake last year.
    What happened? How new was the cell?

Dick
    Brand new Eagle cell . . . currently dry.
    85 VD

Liked: 553

My cell was probably 14 years old. I went to a race and used street gas, finishing with about 2 gals, then parked the car for a couple of months. Later I discovered the cell was empty. I had smelled gasoline but stupidly did not realize what was happening. I removed the cell and discovered it was sitting in a pool of gasoline and had lots of pin holes in the bottom. After some research discovered that metro Atlanta gasoline has ethanol, and older fuel cells often don't cope well with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    My cell was probably 14 years old. I went to a race and used street gas, finishing with about 2 gals, then parked the car for a couple of months. Later I discovered the cell was empty. I had smelled gasoline but stupidly did not realize what was happening. I removed the cell and discovered it was sitting in a pool of gasoline and had lots of pin holes in the bottom. After some research discovered that metro Atlanta gasoline has ethanol, and older fuel cells often don't cope well with that.

Thanks. I think E10 street gas is pretty much universal now.

Here is what Eagle recommends for aircraft cells:

http://eaglefuelcells.com/ga/tech_tips.html

How do I get the longest life out of a fuel cell?
    • The best thing you can do for your cells is keep them as full as possible.

• Aircraft used weekly may keep the tanks less than full but should be topped off when prolonged un-use is expected.

• Occasionally rocking the wings of parked aircraft will wet the upper half of the cells and help extend their life.

• If practical and safe for your aircraft, alternate topping mains and auxs.

• Cessna twin owners should always keep their auxs topped because their mains are generally metal.

• Fuel cells should be stored in a plastic bag and boxed to protect them from ozone, UV, high temperature and humidity.

• Project planes should have the fuel cells worked on and preserved first so they do not deteriorate beyond repair.

• Properly preserved fuel cells can be stored for several years before retesting / re-oiling with lightweight non-detergent oil.

• Preferably, do not use auto fuel. It is not very stable and the high quantity of chemicals in the fuel is harsh on rubber.

• If auto fuel is used, do not let it stand for long periods of time and inspect all rubber fuel system components frequently.
    Dick
    85VD
    CM85

Liked: 313

Great info from Eagle. Thanks!

I run 100LL avgas in my car so I am going to follow Eagles recommendations. Sounds like auto fuel is definitely out.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

Ditto that experience. After running AV gas for 5 years, my admittedly old cell, failed a week after I used track gas.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Speaking of track gas, the stuff at Road America that we had to run at the Runoffs was junk. I made the switchover to it at the Sprints figuring it would save me having to drain and refill at the Runoffs, and in the two months that my car sat between races, that **** evaporated and turned into white powder that gummed up my carburetor. I had to disassemble it and soak it twice just to get the car to run. I was disgusted to say the least. Meanwhile, I have left 100LL AvGas in the car for six months over the winter and the engine fired on the first rotation.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

What is a reliable way in a medium size city of obtaining AV gas for a race car? I have no airplane and the nearby airport is RDU and from what I've heard it is not likely that I will be able to get av gas from anyone there. I will be less hassle for me to go across town to buy unleaded race gas or simply pump street gas out of the fuel cell between autocrosses.

Dick

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Your best bet is to find a small general aviation airport, preferably one with self-service pumps. I've used two airports near me. One is on the way to the track, a minute off the highway, with self serve pumps. I've never seen another person at the place and I've been there at least 4 or 5 times in the past two seasons. I usually buy 20-30 gallons at a time. The closer one I have walked in and the lot attendant helped me fill my cans and carry them back to the truck. YMMV.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I go to the local general aviation airport and have since 1979.

I buy 55 gallons at a time in 5 gallon cans.

The attendant has me drive right out to the pumps and then fills the cans for me.

all I have to do is tell him it is not going in a street car (it helps to have a few pics of the race car handy).

But in all those years never had a bit of problem.

And the price is right particularly when compared to never knbowing how long the race gas you buy has been wherever. AvGas has stabilizers in it so it does not go bad.

Liked: 210

Well the word from Fuel Safe is a bit of the opposite:

• Avoid fuel additives
    • Do not store fuel in the cell for long periods
    • Do not expose the cell to harsh chemicals
    • Do not use solvents on the cell
    • Store your bladder in a cool dry place, out of direct sunlight
    • Inspect the interior and exterior of your cell once a year
    Perhaps there's a different formulation to the glues used and other materials between racing cells and aircraft ones.l
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 0

The problem being that the recommendations from manufactures mean nothing if they aren't telling you what they consider fuel. Most likely Eagle's directions are based on using an aviation grade gasoline which has a large amount of stabilizers in it. Where as fuel safe is probably considering the use of standard pump gas which we know will pick up water and turn to sludge over a winter.

Sounds to me as if you need to have a specific discussion on this with your brands manufacturer with input on your fuel type. You just have to hope you don't get the sales guy who really knows exactly zero technical information about what he is selling.

Thread Information