Liked: 3279

Default Helmet requirements for 2011?

What date helmet will be required for 2011?

Thanks,
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 77

No change for 2011 (Snell SA 2000 or later).

For 2012, it will become Snell SA 2005 or later.

Dave

Liked: 1417

FWIW, the new SA2010 helmets should be available towards the end of October.

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gomberg View Post
    No change for 2011 (Snell SA 2000 or later).

For 2012, it will become Snell SA 2005 or later.

Dave
    Thanks, Dave!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    FWIW, the new SA2010 helmets should be available towards the end of October.
    The 2010 standard won't be published officially until October. Not all manufacturers do big runs before the standard is official. SCCA has for a long time delayed updating the required standard date to allow the vendor "pipeline" to be filled by all manufacturers.

Dave

Liked: 42

The Snell standard for SA2010 has been finalized

http://www.smf.org/standards/sa/SA20...er_5-18-09.htm

Labels are already available and we are supposed to see the first helmets out in 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    The Snell standard for SA2010 has been finalized

http://www.smf.org/standards/sa/SA20...er_5-18-09.htm
    I sit corrected on the standard date.

Labels are already available and we are supposed to see the first helmets out in 2 months.
    That's why we give some time before the standard becomes required.

Dave

Liked: 2

Default SA2000 helmet

Can someone provide a link to the source of info that a SA2000 helmet will be accepted by the scca for 2011. I am trying to convince someone that many racing organizations are doing this. I just want to use my SA2000 till I can purchase a SA2010. If the new helmet specs will be safer than the old I don't want to spend money for a helmet that is obsolete the day I purchase it. Thanks Rob

Liked: 306

One thing I have never seen displayed, in layman's terms, is what the differences are between each evolution of the Snell Standards. What additional requirement there are in going fron the SA2000 standard to the SA2005 to the SA2010.

Are the standards really being changed or is the required sticker just being changed?

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    One thing I have never seen displayed, in layman's terms, is what the differences are between each evolution of the Snell Standards. What additional requirement there are in going fron the SA2000 standard to the SA2005 to the SA2010.

Are the standards really being changed or is the required sticker just being changed?
    The 05 to 10 standard does have more significant changes than in the past. I believe that both standards are on the Snell website.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leonick View Post
    Can someone provide a link to the source of info that a SA2000 helmet will be accepted by the scca for 2011. I am trying to convince someone that many racing organizations are doing this. I just want to use my SA2000 till I can purchase a SA2010. If the new helmet specs will be safer than the old I don't want to spend money for a helmet that is obsolete the day I purchase it. Thanks Rob
    Rob:

I'm a member of the Club Racing Board - the folks who make these rules. What I said in my answer above is what SCCA has done for at least the last three iterations of the helmet standards. I can guarantee that there will be no change in the requirement for SA2000 or later helmets in 2011. Your SA2000 helmet will be accepted throughout 2011.

Dave

Liked: 2

Thanks Dave, I think I have provided enough info to my rule makers that if it's good for the SCCA it will be OK for us too.

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gomberg View Post
    Rob:

I'm a member of the Club Racing Board - the folks who make these rules. What I said in my answer above is what SCCA has done for at least the last three iterations of the helmet standards. I can guarantee that there will be no change in the requirement for SA2000 or later helmets in 2011. Your SA2000 helmet will be accepted throughout 2011.

Dave
    Dave,

Can you "make sure" that the Solo Rule book for 2011 takes the same approach?

Thanks,

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post
    Dave,

Thanks,

Dick
    Nope. The CRB has nothing to do with the Solo rules.

However, if you look at the Solo rule book, you will see that the rule is the current and previous two standards. So, currently, you can be using a 1995 helmet. Even if the 95 standard is axed for 2011, there should be no issue for competitors. Does anyone really want to be using a 15 year old stinky, ratty helmet?

Dave

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Old helmet

...I dunno, Dave, my motorcycle helmet is 15+ years, and I spend more time in it than I do my racing helmet. But then, I've got the proverbial $20 head. Incidentally my helmet worn in USAF while flying ejection-seat aircraft was 10+ years old, too.

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 310

Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post
    Dave,

Thanks,

Dick
    It does not. However, Snell released the M2010 standard in 2009 and helmets meeting that standard have been available since October 2009. Many SA2010 certified helmets will be available in October.

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    It does not. However, Snell released the M2010 standard in 2009 and helmets meeting that standard have been available since October 2009. Many SA2010 certified helmets will be available in October.
    That was what I thought also. It looks like for Solo folk who want an new SA2010 helmet we get to be "early adopters". This won't be too bad if the road race demand isn't stressing the supply chain.

Thanks,

Dick (with a 15 year old helmet)
    CM 85

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Not to hijack the thread, but how many others on this board besides Larry and Stan Clayton have flown high performance military aircraft and can any of you get me a ride in one?

that has to be about the only thing neater than racing
    Last edited by Steve Demeter; 08.06.10 at 1:34 PM.

Liked: 0

Steve,
    As a current F-18 pilot I'm sorry to say that unless you're in the media, an actor or a high level government official it ain't gonna happen. And yeah, from personal experience, I can tell you that flying a fighter takes the racing drivers skill set and fun factor to another level. Can you imagine going 10 times faster and pulling twice the number of Gs than an F1 driver for much longer periods of time, shooting missiles and dropping bombs on your competitors and at the same time having it coming at you, having to take into consideration a third dimention, and then pull back into the pits at 150mph while it was continually moving in hopes to staying within a 3 foot window? All the while making .2% of what Sebastain Vettel does because not only do you love what you do but more importantly you love this country and would die (or have died) to keep it the best place in the world.

Keith

Contributing Member

Default Adrenaline

We're all pretty much adrenaline junkies. Flying high-performance aircraft is just another step up from race cars. But if you really want an adrenaline-high, there's nothing like being (unsuccessfully) shot at. This is competition in its ultimate form!

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 29

sure, flying the jet has to be a blast... but all that speed up in the air with noting around is not the same feeling as you get 3 inches off the ground. and when you mess up, the trees and walls do not setoff the missile lock warning to give you a chance to avoid....

Liked: 0

Hmm, can't say that I agree with you. At 50 feet and 750mph things have a tendancy to go by fairly quickly;

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...07920311995235

And although incidents don't happen nearly as often (thankfully for all those taxpayers), just as it is in racing, imovable objects have a tendancy to hurt just the same if not worse as seen in this video;

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/25116/fighter_jet_crash/

OBTW the pilot in this video didn't happen to make it.

Liked: 29

50 ft? oh, you must be flying ground support for the marines.... as a former ground pounder, always appreciated watching the big boom after you guys drop payload.

just talking about navy pilot stuff, once you launch and trap, always think of flying as up in the clouds.... of course, them AF weenies are a whole nuther story. big bombers with 2d flight crew onb board so they can nap on the way to target...

Contributing Member

Default Big Bombers

I spent a segment of my military career in the big bombers, and we never had a second crew. At best, we had a spare copilot on training missions. We also flew our low level missions at 300 kts indicated airspeed and 500' above ground. In a plane with a 186' wing span, you found youself surprisingly close to things such as trees and towers, and there was definitely a sense of speed...and vulnerability.

I also spent part of my time flying fixed-wing gunships, and I was an instructor pilot in the supersonic T-38. Flying a 4-ship formation with 3' separation (and a foreign student in the front seat) was always "interesting."

I still need and love adrenaline. The big difference is that now I have to pay for my own!

Larry
    Larry Oliver

Contributing Member
    Liked: 25

Default Cool Stuff

I had a sales rep who was in the Air Force reserve and brought me out for a "take your boss to work" day at Travis AFB. Went up in a KC-10 for refueling excersises, with other KC-10's. Got to look over the pilot's shoulder, then sit alongside the refueler, that was pretty cool, but unfortunately would be my only military aircraft ride. Now a carrier take-off and landing, WOW! that would be cool.
    And Thanks to all of you for your service!
    Chuck

Contributing Member
    Liked: 25

Default Helmets

Sorry, forgot the real title of the thread. I got a great deal on a Sparco Carbon Fiber helmet from Wine Country Motorsports with an SA2005 and the FIA spec (cant' remember the spec # off the top of my head). After 5 years my Dominator was gettiing pretty rank no matter how much Molecule I sprayed in it......

Thread Information