Liked: 1417

Default NOTICE: SFI Decertifies ALL IMPACT Racing Products

NOTICE OF DECERTIFICATION; NOTICE TO CEASE AND DESIST AND TERMINATION OF ALL CONTRACTS OF PARTICIPATION ISSUED TO IMPACT RACING

March 26, 2010 -- SFI Foundation, Inc., has issued a Notice of Decertification; Notice of Cease and Desist, and a notice terminating all Contracts of Participation to Impact Racing. Effective April 27, 2010, all products manufactured and/or distributed by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specification Programs 3.2A, 3.3, 16.1, and 16.5 are decertified.

Evidence obtained by SFI shows that over a period of years Impact Racing has engaged in the production and use of counterfeit SFI conformance labels and patches, and affixed them to Impact products for use in motorsports. Under the Contracts of Participation between SFI and Impact, SFI conformance labels and patches may only be obtained from SFI and no other source. Evidence shows that Impact had counterfeit SFI labels and patches made in Asia and then affixed them to Impact products it distributed to members of the racing community. To SFI’s knowledge, Impact never advised its customers that its products contained phony SFI labels and patches. Impact never advised SFI of its systematic and longstanding practice of counterfeiting and distributing SFI patches and labeling.

Impact has been directed to cease and desist from this practice. SFI has directed Impact to immediately notify all affected customers to remove the counterfeit labeling and to offer the affected customers a full refund of the purchase price. SFI is requesting that all counterfeit conformance labels removed from Impact products be sent to SFI.

SFI has elected not to decertify these products immediately in order to minimize the potential hardships to members of the racing community that have been brought about by Impact’s counterfeiting activities.

SFI has also elected to terminate all Contracts of Participation with Impact Racing effective 90 days from March 24, 2010. Under the terms of the Contracts, either party may terminate the agreements without penalty upon 90 days notice. This means that Impact will no longer be able to participate in any SFI programs after this 90 day period.

SFI has taken these actions in the best interests of the safety and integrity of the racing community. This is in keeping with SFI’s mission and purpose.

For a downloadable .pdf of this notice, please click on the following link: Decertification Notice 03-26-10.

Liked: 42

Okay folks, I know a lot of people out there have Impact stuff and I don't want people to be missing races because they have to buy all sorts of new stuff all of a sudden. If you're affected by this, shoot me a message and we'll work something out to make sure minimal track time is missed due to these unforseen costs.

Liked: 142

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!! COUNTERFEIT CERTIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?!!!!
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by HazelNut View Post
    DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!! COUNTERFEIT CERTIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?!!!!
    What's even more interesting is that now we see the money making scheme that SFI really is. They aren't saying the suits aren't safe as they aren't immediately removing the certification. What they are really saying is that SFI didn't get the label money so they won't certify it. The quality of the product doesn't magically change on the 27th. Oh well, I'd still be a bit leary of using something that people were trying to make an extra dollar on and make a fake label.

Liked: 22

Default WTF!!!!!!!

So the three sets of cam lock belts we just installed in are cars are not going to pass tech at our first race?
    Corey Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Westroc #19 View Post
    So the three sets of cam lock belts we just installed in are cars are not going to pass tech at our first race?
    After April 27th they will no longer be considered SFI certified

Liked: 22

UNBELIEVABLE.

How does sh*# like this happen.

We also have two newer Helmets and gloves.
    Corey Collins

Liked: 600

Default SFI - Impact

Corey,
    This does not effect your gloves, or Helmet. The SCCA rules only require a SFI (or FIA) on your suit and safety harness (I don't know why you chose Impact). For sedans, gt classes, also the window net. I don't remember if they require one on arm restraints.
    If you guys need Willans, give me a call.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 76

Not the first time this has happened. A few years ago there was a car in the SCCA booth at the PRI show with a conterfit SFI tag on the harness system. The questionable tag came from Europe and I belive the SFI handled the problem quietly. Wasn't Impact involved in some deal involving counterfit HANS anchors?
    Butch
    butch deer

Liked: 595

Default Doubt SFI ever reads this. I'll swear it and I have witnesses.

I involuntarily tested, at speed, my brand new Impact suit at Barber the other year. While strapped in the car, a fire started under my left thigh as I came around the last corners headed to the start/finish line. The positive battery terminal rubbed through the insulation shrouding it and then contacted a bracket holding the fire bottle. The resulting short and sparks ignited more than merely my suit. I smelled something suspicious in the final turn and got a little warmer than I wanted to be about start/finish. I pulled off about the top of the hill, which would be turn 2, because there were support, service and fire truck people right there. Uhhh......ever tried parking while you're guessing you're on fire and the car is not on level ground? So I exited the car not quite as quickly as I wished because I was, much to my surprise, a little busy doing some not-exactly-parallel-parking on the outside edge of the track at the same time. To consider the time in the corner, down the front straight, turn 1 and slowing and then the awkward exit from the car, the whole thing probably took about 20-25 seconds? Flesh was not burned and happily the car repair was easy. The 3 burn spots were each no larger than a quarter. Impact patched the suit - not for free but it didn't seem like that it was something they should do for free, so no complaints.

I haven't "tested" the suit since but the race where I figured out by lap 3 that I was sitting in a puddle of gas made me appreciate their suit all over again. You may all laugh now..................it wasn't my face that was red ..................( ! )

I'm laughing now because you've just been mooned.

If I'm reading this correctly, SFI expects Impact to pay me back in full for a suit that saved me..........that would not be fair. If arrangements are made to have me buy SFI's patch at fair market value, no problem. If arrangements are made to have Impact send me a patch they obtain from SFI at a fair market value for free, no problem. Any other arrangement involving a buyer/owner would seem wrong. If SFI mediates a fine from Impact, perhaps that's fair. I know my suit works......by the way......I wonder what goes on now with the fact that the SCCA, after inspecting all my gear earlier this year, passed all my gear for their annual.

Considering how this story is breaking as the weekend begins and how much Impact stuff gets used in NASCAR, I wonder what's going on in the tech booth at Martinsville.

Liked: 1417

This has nothing to do with the safety of the suit or any of their products. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that Impact willingly and intentionally cheated a standardized safety system that just about all sanctioning bodies in the US rely on for their safety standards—perfect system or not.

I don't know how anyone can defend such dishonest and ill-motivated actions by a company like Impact, that people rely on to save their lives in a race car. Following on the heals of the counterfeit HANS posts, I'd be surprised if this company survives this ordeal.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    This has nothing to do with the safety of the suit or any of their products. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that Impact willingly and intentionally cheated a standardized safety system that just about all sanctioning bodies in the US rely on for their safety standards—perfect system or not.

I don't know how anyone can defend such dishonest and ill-motivated actions by a company like Impact, that people rely on to save their lives in a race car. Following on the heals of the counterfeit HANS posts, I'd be surprised if this company survives this ordeal.

They won't

Liked: 595

Doug - first of all I'm not taking your comment personally but to have posted your comment right after mine, others could possibly read it that way. I agree with you, Impact has come into question because protocol apparently has come into question and there's no way I can discuss the patch on my suit nor the path it took getting there. I know nothing myself and would guess this issue probably ends up in Court. We will all care to hear what transpires, especially after April 27th.

I am mentioning the fire resistant ability of my suit for others to consider for their own purposes. I believe anyone who is a member of the I'm on Fire Club is grateful to their suit, that I am.

Liked: 111

Default for the rest of us?

So for those of us, who bought new equipment from impact, ie, helmet, gloves, and the associated other items, tearoffs from another company for an Impact helmet.. The have to take these items back and refund the total price? shipping as well? Or do I have to go thru the company I bought it thru?

-Bob

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting to get a refund on anything from anybody. Impact is going to fight this as long and hard as they can, and I'll be surprised if any refunds are given.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath waiting to get a refund on anything from anybody. Impact is going to fight this as long and hard as they can, and I'll be surprised if any refunds are given.
    Guess it's time to sell Bill Simpson a M3 Bimmer that is actually a Ford Fusion with M3 tags on it......LOL.

Liked: 5

Even if they Impact fights this in court, I don't see how they will survive this. With the SFI certification of their equipment in doubt, I can't see anyone purchasing their stuff not knowing if it will be accepted at tech. A court fight could take years to come to a final conclusion.

Some other posts regarding the HANS issue has shown that they knowingly purchased counterfeit posts. We as racers are the lucky ones that HANS stepped up and offered new posts free of charge to us. I'm really glad I decided to return a set of belts I had purchased from them and went with Schroth instead. All of us with Impact gear are going to be the ultimate looser in this fight. I don't see SFI stepping up to the plate and issuing gift certificates in exchange for your counterfeit SFI gear so you can replace it with a legal one.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    Even if they Impact fights this in court, I don't see how they will survive this. With the SFI certification of their equipment in doubt, I can't see anyone purchasing their stuff not knowing if it will be accepted at tech. A court fight could take years to come to a final conclusion.

Some other posts regarding the HANS issue has shown that they knowingly purchased counterfeit posts. We as racers are the lucky ones that HANS stepped up and offered new posts free of charge to us. I'm really glad I decided to return a set of belts I had purchased from them and went with Schroth instead. All of us with Impact gear are going to be the ultimate looser in this fight. I don't see SFI stepping up to the plate and issuing gift certificates in exchange for your counterfeit SFI gear so you can replace it with a legal one.
    The sad part is that Impact may be making perfectly good equipment, as good as Sparco,Bell,Simpson or anyone else......but who will ever trust or buy from them in the future!!

Liked: 0

They issued a statement on their website: http://www.impactraceproducts.com/

Thread Information