Contributing Member Mike Milner's Avatar
    Liked: 6

Default H & N R Statistic

I am a new statistic :

This is a freindly note to all those who are considering buying some form of H&NR . I would also like the attention of those who have one and just don't bother to use it or think it is uncomfortable and/or restricts them somehow .
    It is also a statement to those who oppose the future mandate that has been ruled .
    I am one of those who has had a Hans for years but , because it was a very tight fit in one of my cars, sometimes I left it sitting on the bench . I look back on that now and shake my head at the foolish person I was then .
    Anyway , let me get to the point ..........
    I was at PIR last weekend here in sunny Phx with one of my FFs ( the big one that likes the Hans ) . It was the last very last lap on Sunday . The last friggin lap of the weekend .
    The fastest place on the track : Just past Start / Finish .....the end of the straight just about to lift for turn one . 6700 rpm , top of fourth gear . I'm guessing about 118 mph . BANG ! The right rear Toe link departed it's attach point on the chassis and let that wheel go divergent . The first hit was the left rear as it snapped around and backed into the outside wall . It then spun 180 degrees and straightened out to do the worst possible thing ....head down the banking toward the inside wall head on .
    It hit at about a 70 degree angle , speeding at approximately the century mark .
    I could give many more details here but there is only need now for one . .....I truly believe the reason I can type this to you is that my Hans did it's job magnificently .
    I hit that bloody wall so hard to made my tiny car a crumpled mess . It crushed my tootsies and drove me so far down in the cockpit my head bent the steering wheel away from me 30 degrees .
    It moved everything forward in the car about an inch ...... Me , seat , Engine , gearbox , everything was compressed like it had been in a trash compactor . The Hans kept my head parallel to my body for that terrifying nano second when everything was forced forward at who know how many Gs . Enough to bend steel and vaporize fiberglass .
    Enough about that . The point is I am now a statistic . One of the good ones . I am living proof that those thing really work . I know it like I know the sun came up today .
    If I had left that thing on the bench.......Well , my world would be a different place right now and my wife and family would have a whole new agenda .
    So ...Rant Off . I'll stop the preaching . Just PLEASE...get a H&NR system and wear it .
    Thanks for listening .....
    Best of luck
    Be SAFE !!

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

That's very scary - how about your feet and legs? Sounds like an awful impact

Thanks Dennis
    I'm fit as a fiddle .
    Just lumps and cuts . tender jaw . Bruises where all the straps were . Sore all over .
    Mostly soft tissue trauma and small fractures in my left foot .
    A few weeks swinging on the walker and I will be back 100 % .
    My has a happy ending . Thanks to beautiful horse collar I was wearing .
    Cheers ,

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

That's pretty intense - hopefully no one here has to experience that, but if they do, I hope they come out thanking their safety equipment like you!

Liked: 27

Default Witness

I just happened to be loading cars on a transporter in the paddock at PIR turn one, either the noise or the visual caught my attention and I noticed Mike & his car just as it passed the flag station very much out of control and broken but still at speed (I thought a wheel center broke).... watching and praying he could keep it off the wall. It became apparent that it was not up to him and he hit fast and hard.

From what I saw I'd say it was a classic example of the type of impact a HNR was designed for. The impact was sever enough that after emergency arrived I turned away and went back to loading cars, glad for the distraction and afraid for the driver. I Was very relived to hear of Mike's condition later.

Glad to hear you're doing well Mike, my prayers have been with you. One note: AZ SCCA reacted quickly, the yellow at turn one seemed to be out almost as you passed the flag station, the other worker was moving to see where you were going to impact and the emergency crew arrived very quickly.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Liked: 9

Default HANS

Mike,

Glad to hear you were wearing your device when it really mattered (although it always matters!).

You may want to forward your story to the HANS folks. They are always interested in learning about their devices in action.

The Director of Sales at HANS is Howard Bennett - hbennett@hansdevice.com

Linda
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Liked: 267

Congrats on making it out in one piece - always good to hear of fellow drivers surviving such events.

I do still think the mandate is the wrong thing - despite having two H+N devices.

Boy do I hate rovals...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Default thanks

Thanks for your remarks Linda and John .
    I forwarded my thanks to the Hans folks . It is the very least I can do .
    And yes , John , I would be remiss to not mention the importance of the SCCA emergency folks .
    They were , in a word , excellent . I was attended to so quickly It was as if they were all there waiting for me .
    There was a seemingly long moment after I realized I was pinned in the car and couldn't move my legs out of the foot well that the terrifying idea of a fire struck me but no sooner did I have that thought than they were there . True heros .
    I made a posting on the AZSCCA site forum about all that . Not only were they there for me then they are here for me now . What a great bunch of fine people . There are not enough words.
    Thanks again for your kind thoughts
    Mike

Liked: 2

You've just given me another wonderfull idea Mike... stay tuned.

Nice seeing you over the weekend and good luck keeping the dogs off that foot!

See ya soon.
    Man will race anything. It's in his blood. His Soul. He must.

Kurtis C. Shirley MacLane FV (sold), Lola T644 (sold), Murray FK1 FST (sold), Vector MG-95FF (sold), PRS 82F (sold), Lola T340... AKA PRS82F

Thread Information