Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 142

Default Dump your zetec! apparently the USF2000 will be powered by Mazda

The following was posted on the new (IRL series) USF2000.com site in a public shared folder. Albeit difficult to find, but very public.

It's fairly obviously the layout concept for the USF2000 site. Notice the series logo, sporting a large mazda badge.

You make your own call but it sure looks like the zetec isn't going to be the power plant of choice for this series.

I've posted a link to it, below. I've also saved it to another location and posted a secondary link as I'm SURE the primary one will be deleted pretty quickly.

So Dan, what the deal? Whoever designed your site just got really creative and thought that incorporating mazda's logo into your's would just "tickle you pink"? Or more like you'll be incorporating a mazda engine into your series? Lemme guess, your cars will be the mazda "factory team" cars right?

Primary Link: http://usf2000.com/images/news/layout-design-3.png

Secondary Link: http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...t-design-3.png

FYI don't leave work in progress and stuff you don't want getting out on unsecured directories on your webserver. It's just bad form.

I can't wait to see the spin from this.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Maybe....Since Ford/Mazda have share lots of stuff they are going to slap Mazda valve covers on the Zetec motor and call it a Mazda?

dunno. Maybe. All I know is what you see and what has been posted.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Senior Member Franklin Futrelle's Avatar
    Liked: 6

lay off the hazelnuts. im sure the mazda decal comes with some exciting perks and prizes. mazda has junior open wheel taken care of now, skip barber, star mazda, formula e, formula mazda, atlantic, rotax karts.

it very well might, but it also might mean new engines and chassis. Or does mazda make a similar wieght, power, dimension, replacement for a zetec?

My concern is that we don't know what it will entail. I do know that any big changes like this are going to upset the fragile stability and relative cost containment we're now enjoying and will probably end up costing more $$$.

I'm hoping for some more info.

Liked: 12

I'm told they are going to use the Mazda MZR-R engine. It's perfect for an F2000 at 2.0 liter displacement, and is already designed for racecar applications:

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/a...zr-r-lmp2.html

Should be fun!

Nathan

P.S. I think Mazda uses a Zetec engine in a couple of their cars or SUVs. Could just be a relabeling for marketing...happens all the time!
    Last edited by nulrich; 10.27.09 at 2:07 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by nulrich View Post
    Could just be a relabeling for marketing...happens all the time!
    if that is the case, great! But let's hear it from the horse's mouth. Let's also see a solid rule book that will be stabilized for a few season, not just one.

Liked: 195

Anyone that wants to dump their zetec car for half price just let me know
    I would be more than happy to help relieve you of your car

Quote Originally Posted by bre86 View Post
    Anyone that wants to dump their zetec car for half price just let me know
    I would be more than happy to help relieve you of your car
    ha! I wasn't actually serious about dumping a zetec. However anyone that wants to sell at half price, i'll buy a few of them too.

Quote Originally Posted by HazelNut View Post
    ha! I wasn't actually serious about dumping a zetec. However anyone that wants to sell at half price, i'll buy a few of them too.
    I know you weren't serious but I am definitely serious at buying a zetec for half price, sign me up!!!

Liked: 309

Lessee now...all Mazda, all the time? Check...

2.0 Liters? Check...

450 horsepower? Check...waitadoggoneminutethere...wut?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 309

The following was posted on the new (IRL series) USF2000.com site in a public shared folder. Albeit difficult to find, but very public.

It's fairly obviously the layout concept for the USF2000 site. Notice the series logo, sporting a large mazda badge.
    I think I totally called this in the first IRL F-2000 thread: Linky

Do I win a cookie?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 1417

What's the big deal? It's not the SCCA. They don't have to use anything the club mandates. They already said that all SCCA FC and other ProF2000 cars would be legal, with a possible second engine option coming along with support and benefits for those who choose to use that option.

Who really cares if it's Ford, Mazda, Honda, Hyundai or Caterpillar in the engine bay?

Liked: 6

Default Half Price Zetec -

Quote Originally Posted by bre86 View Post
    I know you weren't serious but I am definitely serious at buying a zetec for half price, sign me up!!!
    You got a deal. I'll sell you mine. Was $130K, yours for only $65K. But you gotta act now....

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
    You got a deal. I'll sell you mine. Was $130K, yours for only $65K. But you gotta act now....

130k what? Pesos? you overpaid boss!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

How the hell am I going to fit a Mazda in the Swift? SCCA allows a split in FF. Ford responds?

Liked: 973

Will there be any real concern about parity?

As to engines, the current Zetec engine will be legal, and we may be introducing an alternate engine as well. Those with Zetecs need not worry, but if and when we announce that alternate, it will come with sizeable rewards for those utilizing it, and that partnership will benefit everyone

Liked: 15

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    What's the big deal? It's not the SCCA. They don't have to use anything the club mandates. They already said that all SCCA FC and other ProF2000 cars would be legal, with a possible second engine option coming along with support and benefits for those who choose to use that option.

Who really cares if it's Ford, Mazda, Honda, Hyundai or Caterpillar in the engine bay?
    Well Doug, I can't speak for everybody but I can tell you my worries. This will only be a few of them and not real well thought out as I'm sitting here on beer number three with a sick kid and not too much sleep.

For me the beauty of FC/F2000 right now is that we can take a car from club to the pro series without doing a whole lot other than changing the tires and spending a bit of time on the setup pad. That equates to a lot of affordable racing options. They said that the first year or two the Zetec would be legal. I don't recall anything about the pinto and I didn't see any promise about the rules past year two. You say, "what's the big deal? It's not the SCCA. They don't have to use anything the club mandates." and you are right. They don't. However, I feel that if they want to start a new class of car then do so from scratch. If they compromise the health of the current East and West Pro Series by pulling competitors from them to get their series started only to abandon those cars a year or two down the road then you haven't really done any of the current FC/F2000 guys any favors. You've only cost them money to convert their cars to your series or possible robbed them of a series where their car was legal all together. Why split this field of cars up in order to start a new class?

Look, pro racing in this country is a mess because of these stupid splits. We don't need to introduce another one to what I see as one of the only truely healthy classes out there.
    Brent Borland

Armsup Motorsports LLC
    http://www.armsupmotorsports.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Star Mazda Light just thank god it's not Star Mazda.

Liked: 20

Im sure, time will tell. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a simple case of "badge engineering". All the cars at Skip Barber that are branded Mazda still all have Dodge Neon motors. BTW, I think Brumbaugh is trying to register for a race car as a wedding gift.
    2005 Cooper Tires Zetec Championship #35 GTP Motorsports

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default its inevitable...

this will become a spec-car series as are both current IRL shows

and that is not necessarily evil

Quote Originally Posted by DBS Motorsports View Post
    Im sure, time will tell. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a simple case of "badge engineering". All the cars at Skip Barber that are branded Mazda still all have Dodge Neon motors. BTW, I think Brumbaugh is trying to register for a race car as a wedding gift.
    Smith
    I do think a zetec would be an excellent wedding present. Since you will be coming (June 26, no conflicts) I can put you in charge of that

Default Mazda powered F2000

FYI:
    The Molecule FM Challenge series has been calling the current Zetec F2000 car a Mazda in the 2009 races that they participated in. The current engine did power the first generation Tribute.

See one of our press releases from this season:
    http://formulamazdachallenge.com/res...esults2009.pdf

Default To LJennings

Zetec & Duratec are different engines. Don't know if they can be direct replacements for each... I doubt it. Ford has divested itself of it's holdings in Toyo Kogyo, the parent company of Mazda. They may still do joint ventures, but for how long, which will make interchangeability a question. Everyone's guessing about what DA is going to do. I think he made a mistake not having a publishable rule book ready before hisa announcement. He's stirred up to much guessing.

Bumpdraft

Liked: 698

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpdraft View Post
    Everyone's guessing about what DA is going to do. I think he made a mistake not having a publishable rule book ready before hisa announcement. He's stirred up to much guessing.
    To the contrary, I'm betting that his phone is ringing off the hook with young karters that are chomping at the bit to join a pro series that runs on IRL weekends.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

The new Mazda Miata uses a 2 liter engine with an output of 170 + hp. I also race a 1999 Miata in SCCA ITS class and the 1.8 liter engine of the older miatas has been bulletproof (1 - 24 hour race, 3 - 6 hour races, many many 1.5 hour enduros and many many 30 minute sprint races with SCCA and others. The compression is still solid. In addition, MazdaMotorsports will sell me a NEW longblock delivered to my door via FedEx for about $2500.

If Mazda came out with an offer to SCCA to supply a 2 liter miata engine for FC in the ball park of $2500 I would jump on it. I know I would need a new tranny and oil sump etc. But if I didn't have to worry about a $6500 rebuild of a 30 year old Ford Pinto engine I would probably sign up.
    Rob

Contributing Member

Default Dump your zetec! apparently the USF2000 will be powered by Mazda

I wonder if this has any future in NA F2000 ?

October 29, 2009 News[SIZE=2]Formulino: Entry-Level Dallara to Make USA Debut at Sebring
    ]
    The Dallara Formulino is easily converted to three different configurations
    (Photo: Dallara)

The newly-created Dallara Formulino ("little Formula" in Italian) is set to make its North American debut via a test at Sebring International Raceway on November 9th.

Designed and built as an entry-level formula car for use by both racing schools and championships, the Dallara Formulino has an emphasis on durability, reliability and economy. It is a unique concept in the motorsport world, as the same basic car can easily be updated in three steps from a BASE version to a PRO version, with no need to source separate chassis and engine suppliers.

Conforming to the 2008 F3 FIA crash test regulations - making it as safe as a Dallara F3 car - and featuring the Hewland tried and trusted FTR gearbox, the car can go from a from a simple no wing or diffuser configuration (BASE version), to a car with the same suspension and wide range of suspension and aerodynamic configurations of an F3 car (PLUS and PRO versions).

The car that will be tested at Sebring will feature a Mountune 2-litre Duratec engine, with horsepower ranging from 170 bhp in the BASE version to 250 in the PRO version.

Default Formulino

Pretty car, and I think the concept makes a lot of sense. SCCA could copy that idea by making the chassis rules identical for FF, FC and FB so one car could be easily adapted to run in all three.

Unfortunate timing for Dallara with the economic downturn, but maybe the idea will still catch on.

It would be quite safe on ovals with the carbon tub and wider sidepods, as well as the fact it meets the latest FIA safety regulations.

Of course, it's really far afield from SCCA FC regulations, with the carbon monocoque, sequential gearbox, wide sidepods, aero design, etc, etc. Unlikely those rules will change any time soon, but SCCA compatibility may not matter after 2010 for the new series.

Sounds like about $70k for a roller, which seems reasonable.

Why is the IRL car the only Dallara that is ugly? Not just ugly, REAL ugly .

Nathan

The Formulino concept is very cool. It's currently used in Europe (with Tatuus chassis and Honda engines, IIRC) as the basis of International Formula Masters -- the series in which Alexander Rossi just finished up a very strong debut year from FBMW.

Steve

Liked: 48

Default neat car ...but

yes the Dallara is a very cool car ... 70K isnt outrageous for what it is ...
    that being said CERTAINLY not the kind of cars we have now and not a car that would be able to run in multiple series ... under FC rules or anything like it ....

and most likely $100K to put on the track .... very near the Star Mazda ... so then you have to ask WHY BOTH ...??? AND ATLANTICS too ?? all ABOUT the SAME but different .. I dont see them ALL surviving ... one or even 2 would have to be folded into the other ... leaving ONE maybe ...Dallara is VERY cool tho !!
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

listen up folks I've had my ear to the ground and guess what I've got some more
    news. Not engine related but DA series.

Think elan intake manifold and the players in that whole mess.

listen up folks I've had my ear to the ground and guess what I've got some more
    news. Not engine related but DA series.

Think elan intake manifold and the players in that whole mess.

I've seen mention of the "elan intake manifold" but have no clue of what that means. Are there any discussion threads about that on ApexSpeed? Or does someone want to explain in detail?

Default maybe related to this incident???

http://www.eformulacarnews.com/news_info.php?n=3823

i have heard references but do not claiam any knowledge about the "elan manifold"

just dug this up on the net

Quote Originally Posted by WorldSpeed View Post
    I've seen mention of the "elan intake manifold" but have no clue of what that means. Are there any discussion threads about that on ApexSpeed? Or does someone want to explain in detail?
    Try reading this:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25919

You have to go a few posts down to see the discussion of the Elan intake manifold.

Hope I'm not digging up something most would rather forget!

Nathan

Default more likely this reference...

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

I have no horse in this race, but has anyone asked dan andersen what engine will be used?

Liked: 15

Default Why does it matter....

which engine will be used in 2011? You can either run his series or the other.

If Mazda is the new engine for the series they should hurry up and modify the current F2000 engine section of the GCR and submit a proposal to the BOD to allow it in the club as an alternate engine just as Honda did with FF.

I have heard those pinto's and Zetecs are out of production and are hard to find parts for.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Out of production...

Zetecs are Not hard to find parts for. Ford still has hundreds of NEW crate Zetecs on hand. They can be purchased thru Ford Racing dealers. I just bought one last summer for a very reasonable price.

Liked: 120

which engine will be used in 2011? You can either run his series or the other.
    If Mazda is the new engine for the series they should hurry up and modify the current F2000 engine section of the GCR and submit a proposal to the BOD to allow it in the club as an alternate engine just as Honda did with FF.

I don't get your logic. This helps SCCA how? Further dilution of an existing series?

We should move more drivers out of SCCA racing to alternate venues?

We should also encourage SCCA workers to run those events as well?

Do you honestly think in this economy there is room for another series?

Do you intend to purchase a new car and go and try to become an Indycar driver?

Keep watering everything down until the guys who are actually racing in the club say

forget it and find another hobby. Of course all of those young guns with disposable

income will step up and replace the old crowd........sure they will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information