Liked: 1417

Default ApexSpeed Photos

I had a camera attached to my head for most of the weekend, and I wish I would have been able to meet more of the ApexSpeed members that attended, but what a great weekend it was. Glad to have met everyone I was able to shake hands with.

I have about 3,400 photos to process and go through tomorrow, but I wanted to throw out my weekend cookie as a whistle wetter (thanks Ian).

Ok, a full list of all of the ApexSpeed assembled photo galleries from the 40th FF Celebration & Milwaukee Region CAT Nationals. This should make it easier to find everything. I'll update this master list as I add them, too.

40th Anniversary Formula Ford Celebration : Friday, July 24th : Vintage + FF70

40th Anniversary Formula Ford Celebration : Saturday, July 25th : Vintage + FF70

40th Anniversary Formula Ford Celebration : Friday, July 24th : Formula Ford - Gallery 1

40th Anniversary Formula Ford Celebration : Friday, July 24th : Formula Ford - Gallery 2

40th Anniversary Formula Ford Celebration : Friday, July 24th : Formula Ford - Gallery 3

40th Anniversary Formula Ford Celebration : Sunday, July 26 : Formula Ford, Parade of Champions

Honda Performance Development Fit Engine Proposal

Road America, Central Region CAT Nationals : Saturday, July 25th : Formula Vee

Liked: 47

AWESOME!!!!!!!

That was my off when my throttle cable broke and carb was stuck open.

Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Looking forward to seeing your pics Doug - It was great meeting you the other day, thanks again for everything.

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lenhart View Post

Ian
    Do you have your eyes closed?!
    Obviously you are sitting up & typing online, so it was not too bad of an incident. Hope all is well.

Cool photo!
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Beartrax View Post
    Do you have your eyes closed?!
    Obviously you are sitting up & typing online, so it was not too bad of an incident. Hope all is well.

Cool photo!

Ian actually made it to turn 12 with the full throttle before getting stuck in the gravel trap there!

Ok, the first gallery is up of the Vintage race from Saturday evening. The sun and slight cloud cover gave me perfect light in turn 6 and made me look like a better photographer than I really am.

Vintage/FF70 Gallery : Saturday, July 25

Liked: 17

Drool drool
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lenhart View Post
    AWESOME!!!!!!!

I have about 8 or 9 shots rom this "incident" that you could probably make a pretty cool animated avatar from.

Liked: 210

Fantastic pictures Doug! Some classic cars and well done photography. There's nothing like it.

What now you're down to about 3,000 more to post?

Keep um coming!
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member Darren Brown's Avatar
    Liked: 20

Those are some really clear and crisp pictures. I know you probably said before but what camera are you using? My brother has been taking good race pictures but not with the clarity and detail your pictures are.

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Brown View Post
    Those are some really clear and crisp pictures. I know you probably said before but what camera are you using? My brother has been taking good race pictures but not with the clarity and detail your pictures are.
    Nikon D70s with a Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5 VR and my cheap-o Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6G all weekend. The 70-300mm desperately needs a mono-pod because it's plastic, too light to handhold in the slightest breeze and the quality is marginal at anything past 150mm. It's great for the price ($99), and you don't worry about stuffing it in your pocket to have with you. The 18-200 was borrowed as a test run, and although I love the lens for all-around use, compared to my 18-70mm kit lens + the 70-300G, it's not worth the $700 for just shooting race cars. I used it for 90% of the weekend, though, so it did the job really well.

I'm still looking for a 80-300 or longer telephoto for shooting race cars that fits the photog budget.

Liked: 0

Default FF 70 Photos of FF168

Please Please Tell me you or any body out there got a photo of Elloitts victory lap in FF 70 #168. We don't get to hold the checkers very often, but the rain being the great EQUALIZER made this one kinda special, even if everybody had already gone home because of the rain or time of day.

Thanks

Jerry Lampkin

Quote Originally Posted by TNGMOTORSPORTS View Post
    Please Please Tell me you or any body out there got a photo of Elloitts victory lap in FF 70 #168. We don't get to hold the checkers very often, but the rain being the great EQUALIZER made this one kinda special, even if everybody had already gone home because of the rain or time of day.
    Unfortunately, I had left before the final vintage race. Sorry, I was out of steam after the long weekend.

New Vintage/FF70 Gallery from Friday afternoon. A bit grainy, which is the side-effect of an inexpensive lens I was screwing around with. Still, a cool angle from atop the bridge before the T4 bend.

40th Anniversary Formula Ford Celebration : Friday, July 24th : Vintage + FF70

More tomorrow. This is taking longer than I anticipated.

Ok, 600 photos to go, just from Friday's FF sessions alone. I had to get at least something up today, so here's the first half of the Friday FF gallery...

40th Anniversary Formula Ford Celebration : Friday, July 24th : Formula Ford - Gallery 1

Default Great pictures of the FF Woodstock 09

Doug:
    Thank you for sharing these great pictures. At the track I did not have much time to actually look at the cars; the things are awesome. Should take a day off next time to enjoy the spectacle.
    Stommelen
    (brake operator of a Cortina RF83 and corner worker for all sort of competitive auto and moto racing )

Liked: 259

Default 40th pictures

looking for pictures of the Honda powered car on the track; preferably multiple pictures (ie: different angles) showing the side and rear of the car at speed. does anyone have any or can point me to a photo-bucket?? thanks

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

There are a few track photos here. I have more, but I have to get the rest of them sorted today.

The car looks and sounds like any other Kent-powered DB1, with the exception of a Honda decal on the cowl. Other than the pretty pearl paint and the spectacular ft job on the body panels, there wasn't much that you would notice about the car.

Crypes, I need a better photo management system... Gallery #2 from Friday now up and running:

40th Anniversary Formula Ford Celebration : Friday, July 24th : Formula Ford - Gallery 2

Now posted...

40th Anniversary Formula Ford Celebration : Friday, July 24th : Formula Ford - Gallery 3

Check the first post in this thread, too, for a list of all of the galleries that have been posted so far from last weekend.

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Doug, super photography! Hope it's Ok to download, like, ALL OF THEM! Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Yup, no problem.

Someday I'll have to start charging for these things. Might be able to pay for some race car parts.

Liked: 157

Doug,

Awesome picture of my Club Ford. #36 You are good at this! THANKS!

These are great photos! Thanks Doug!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I had more fun at Road America shooting the 40th than I ever have at a race track.

For anyone who has requested higher-resolution images of their car, I am sorry I have not been able to respond to everyone yet. I am still working on getting the photos cleaned up and organized, and I am making a list of everyone who has requested photos. I will be posting ZIP files of the photos when I am done with all of them from the CAT Nationals. It'll be easier to send things out once than to do them multiple times after the rest are up in galleries.

Hang tight. I could use a few more hours in the day...

d

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Doug, Got to say it again. these are awsome shots. What kind of camera are you using? Jim
    PS: I'd be glad to contribute to the cause. i think I downloaded a couple dozen of them to stick in my screen saver.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Doug, Got to say it again. these are awsome shots. What kind of camera are you using? Jim
    PS: I'd be glad to contribute to the cause. i think I downloaded a couple dozen of them to stick in my screen saver.
    Nikon D70s with a Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5 VR and my cheap-o Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6G all weekend. I'm looking for another long range lens option that isn't $6,000, though.

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Default pic

Great Pics!!! Thank You

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Yes, great pictures. I can't believe how much time I just spend going through them! I've got stuff to do!

I'm assuming that these were only pictures of Qual or maybe Group 6 practice. I only made Group 4 practice before my clutch disc started slipping. I didn't see a single picture opf my car but this was entertaining anyway!

Can I send some money to get all these on CDs? They would be great for showing my boys what I was able to participate in!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 25

Default Nice!

Great pictures, Doug! It was nice meeting you.
    - Frank Chambers

Liked: 2

Default Thanks

For the short amount of time I was able to compete, you managed to get some fine shots.

Great job on all the photos, nice angles, great definition and sharp color. Hope you continue to develop your talent.

Best regards,

Mike Allison

Here's some I shot at the party, ring side seats. OK, the beeler at 6 shot was done by my wife. I was way behind trying to keep up. More to come.

Pete Wood, #42 purple crossle' 35
    Last edited by petewo; 08.07.09 at 9:36 PM.

New gallery added of the Parade of Champions. See first post.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    I'm looking for another long range lens option that isn't $6,000, though.
    Doug, consider renting the lens. Rennie's father-in-law rented a big honking lens for the weekend of the Portland Double for what he said was very reasonable money. And I mean BIG...it was about 2' long and had an objective lens that looked 8" across. Took awesome photos. Sorry, I don't know the price, and I am confident it will vary widely anyway. Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Thread Information