Default The Coop Chronicles June Sprints

The Coop Chronicles
    The June Sprints SCCA National
    Road America
    Elkhart Lake, WI
    6/23/08
    Concourse C, Atlanta Hartsfield Airport, 6/19/08
    Ana: So, whaddya think our chances are?
    Coop: I told you, we’re not going to The Sprints to race, we’re still in the testing phase. There’s a big difference! We still don’t even have an engine cover on this thing, or an engine belly pan. The cooling systems are not properly sorted out, and we’ve run a total of one time. Sheesh, woman!
    Ana: Oh...
    Thursday Test Day
    All systems are go, and other than the lack of an engine cover/rear bodywork in the first session (Hey it was good enough for 60's era Grand Prix drivers like Ginther and Gurney), the naked rear half would be making a statement.
    Some possible statements:
    a) Man, those guys have absolutely NO Budget.
    b) Man, those guys forgot to put the engine cover on.
    c) Man, those guys may be onto something, Hmmmm, better keep an eye on ‘em. Between the sessions, Mike Devins and I have fitted the beast of an engine cover, which isn’t exactly even an engine cover/rear bodywork, but rather a design study for a mould, for an engine cover, and as such is quite heavy
    As we’re here only to test, I’ve not even given any thought to recording lap times. It doesn’t matter to me, testing is on the menu, and only testing...
    Friday Practice
    I had been waiting for my official paperwork ( homologation) from the SCCA that would officially recognize my converted Formula Continental (FC) to now Formula B (FB). I needed this in order to run this weekend, and it was getting uncomfortably close to go-time.
    After what seemed like my 17th trip to the tech barn in the past 24 hours, the papers were in the hand of the Chief of Tech.
    Now I’d be able to get the new log book, have the roll hoop stamped w/ the new logbook number (007-105, absolutely smashing, eh Q?), finally get to go through tech inspection, receive my tech sticker, and boogy back to the paddock and get ready to go out. Whew, that cut it a little too close.

I’m sitting in the car at pre grid and suddenly experience one of my more frightening Coop-piphanies: The tech sticker which should be on the right side of the roll hoop never made it’s way out from my pants pocket. Remember, we were in quite a hurry coming from the 11th hour tech/homologation exercise.
    Complicating matters is the fact that I have no communication to the crew (Ana), as our radios are being repaired (bad charging unit), and we’ve not received them back yet from the racetrack radio vendor guy.
    Finally Ana walks up with the jump battery and I tell her to run back to the trailer to get the sticker, it’s with the logbook (or so I thought). She runs off, complete with jump battery and umbrella, and by the time she’s about to get off the pre-grid, she stops and hands the umbrella to a fellow crewchief - who turns out to be none other than Don Seivenpiper, creator of the FB to beat - the Piper. I can only guess at the conversation:]
    Ana - (panting) "Excuse me, but would you mind handing this umbrella to my boyfriend, he’s in the #43 car back there. We forgot our tech sticker and I’ve gotta run back to the trailer and get it..."
    Don - "Hrmph"
    Ana - (Thrusts the umbrella into his hand/turns/sprints off to paddock, STILL carrying jump battery!).
    The whole time I’m shaking my head, the 5 minute warning whistle has just sounded, and here comes Don, ambling over.
    As he hands me the umbrella, I’m apologizing profusely, but he looks like he’s pretty OK with it.
    You try, but you just can’t make this stuff up!
    Right as the one minute whistle is blown (clear the grid of support personnel), Ana appears with the sticker which some SCCA grid marshal affixes for me.
    Not a moment too soon, phew...
    The session goes somewhat uneventfully, maybe a black flag or two, not a whole lotta laps were run. Things are looking good, and I’m still feeling out the car, working out changes to make, etc...
    [The coolant and oil temps came up a bit after installation of the engine cover, clearly there was some work that still needed to be done.
    And work on it we do, carefully crafting aluminum sheet to Mike D’s specifications: "Coop what ya wanna do here is get a large radius, remember, just ‘cause there is a bigger hole in the front of the sidepod, that, in and of itself is no guarantee that more air will enter". Man, why couldn’t school be this interesting? I’da prolly paid more attention!

We end up continuing the sidepod’s inner wall alongside the engine where it had been open. It’s all about controlling airflow, pre and post coolers.
    [The front of the pods meanwhile has taken on a very decidedly jet engine nacelle appearance, very rounded, and looking at this point somewhat "Sanford and Son" what with the pop rivets and helicopter/leading edge tape shoring it all up.

"It’s only a prototype, people" I keep telling shocked passerby’s.
    Friday night at the Sportsracer party, conveniently located right next door at the Liverato trailer, Mike D has gone from Composite Construction and Aero Guy to Top Chef in about 2 hours. Although we did not have the famous Brined Cornish Game Hens of ARRC fame (Road Atlanta, November ‘07), we did sample some very savory Pork Loin with his patented (or damn well should be!) cream sauce
    - How in the heck do folks pull that deal off anyway? Jerry Garcia - ace musician and artist! Deion Sanders - baseball, and football. Ronald Reagan - actor and POTUS! It’s wacky I tell ya, just wacky...

Saturday pm / Qualifying 1 (of 2)
    I get out on a fresh set of Hoosier slicks, and do my usual scuff session, which turns out to be about 1/3 of a lap to get some heat and then hammer them mercilessly!

I come in after about 5 laps, primarily in order to check with Ana on the lap times
    she’s telling me over the radio, something about a 2:11 and change and 2nd in class...]
    To quote perhaps the most famous sailorman in history (think canned spinach) "Well blow me downsk"! We are currently 2nd in class, about a second and a ½ off pole set by Pritchard in the Piper, it sez so right here on my i-Card real time display of the tracks’ timing and scoring system. I remain in the hot pit for the rest of the session, still belted in, viewing the times. I’ll go out and fight for my spot if needed. A few minutes later, the session’s over; no one behind me goes quicker.
    One (Q) down, One to go...
    As I pull off my helmet back at the trailer, Ana says (smiling slyly) "So, what do you think our chances are now?
    I’m half pleased and half concerned. Concerned about how can we possibly be up the order this far, this quickly. Oh sure I’ve been here many times, in fact this is my 8th ‘Sprints, not to mention a few Star Mazda Pro Series races here, back in the day. I can get around this place just fine.
    ]What I am thinking about is the fact that we have maybe 100 miles on this chassis, the first of the production kit Novak (Van Diemen RF98 and later) Conversions
    The kit was designed on Solidworks, a computer race car chassis program.
    This is the real world not the simulated virtual world. It’s proven on paper, now all that’s left is the real test, the one that matters most, the one that drives all racers...
    Snapping back to the question at hand, I reply "Honey (how many racers get to call their crew chief THAT?!!!), we’re not on the front row just yet. There’s another Q tomorrow, and it’s in the morning. Folks will probably be quicker, and we may end up at the back. We’re only on the first chapter here! This book is pretty thick. Let’s not get too excited just yet (meanwhile I’m sportin’ kindling at the prospect of a front row start)...

Sunday /am Q2
    I’m about to go out, sitting in the car when suddenly a face appears, and I mean right up in my grill! "Glenn. Wow, you are ab-so-lute-ly flying out there" says the mildly gravelly voice, a voice I know all too well. It’s Jay Novak, the designer of the conversion kit, and someone that I have spoken to for many hours over the last year or so, but until that moment, had never met. An incredible surprise as I did not even know he was at the track....The plan is to go out and test the cooling system mods we have made, maybe 2-3 laps, come in, check the lap times and only go back out if need be. I did, and we didn’t have to. Cool. Back at the trailer, this time Ana has no verbal query for me, rather she is in full Collantes (Coy-ahn-tez, family surname) puppy dog eyes look, as if to say "Well?"
    OK, I know, I know. Basically at this point I have to admit we have an excellent shot at the podium. Pritchard has gone a few tenths quicker, and a few fellas behind have done the same, but the order and gaps appear similar: There’s a second and a half to the guy ahead, and the best of the rest are about the same or more in arrears. Hopefully this gap will not mean a solitary run to second place:
    Remember, and this is Giancarlo DiCoopola talking now: "I would much rather have a 30-40 minute dice with 3 other guys and finish forth than I would take an uncontested podium finish.
    I’m just sayin’....

Sunday pm / Race

OK, Race Group 8 is composed of FA’s, FB’s and FC’s. We are formed up in order by best of 2 qualifying times. There are 13 FA’s in front of me, out of a total of 27. Out qualifying half of the FA’s, especially here at Road America (for the uninitiated - verrrrrry long straightaways, verrrrrrrry fast speeds) is quite impressive.
    Remember, on the North American Open Wheel racing ladder, just a few years ago FA’s were one rung below Indycars - n’ ya know how fast those things are!
    The pace lap goes pretty quickly, and as we’re heading into the last corner, I notice the field behind looks pretty sloppy. I mean there are huge gaps, and I’m a little concerned we will not get a green and have to go around again.
    WHOA!, no time for thinking about that as the pace car flicks it into pitlane and we are full chat up through the gears towards the starters stand. Ana’s voice cracks over the helmet headset "Green green green" just as the starter’s arm is starting to move (just like I told her to do, heh-heh...).
    On the start at Road America, the run down into Turn 1 can be quite daunting. It seems like you are on the throttle forever, before having to slow (just a scosh) to negotiate T1. I guess the fact that they have us grided with the FA’s (HUGE tires that require longer than our’s to get to operating temperature/grip level) is causing the seemingly "Sunshine Slowdown" phenomena most morning commuters face on their way into work. Although I am trying to "get to work", this time it’s not the sun in yer eyes, it’s the rear of that FA ahead I can’t get slowed down enough to avoid - Kerr Whapp, right into the back off him, sending him spinning off lazilly into the grass on the inside of T1.
    Man this race is about 10 seconds old and I’ve already hit someone. Long time CC readers know - this is not something I’m known for, AND have much distaste for.
    I have no idea if I’ve suffered any damage. I give the car a few heavy flicks left and right heading onto the back straight to see if anything is loose and it all feels good.

]On the run up the front straight I radio to Ana to have her check for bits hanging off the car. She can’t actually see as the crew is not allowed "over the wall" during the race, so I resume gittin’ it....
    I’m a comfortable distance back from the leader, and we are being held up a tad by some FA’s.
    On about the third lap, onto the front straight Pritchard in first place slows and by the time we pass under the starters stand, I draft past, and into the lead.
    I’m wondering just what’s up: Is he letting me by to hound me, and hopes to force a mistake? Not likely, but ya never know.
    Is he having some type trouble, and needing to slow slightly in order to finish and get points?
    ]Before I have much time to think further, we’re up the little hill to T6 and I see the tell tale oil stream on the track. Someone has coated the track from out of T5, all the way through T6, T7, and half way to T8. Ten years of road racing motorcycles has enabled me to spot oil on the track quite quickly, other cars have gotten into the oil and gone off. I know we are about to go full course caution, and a lengthy clean-up is surely to follow. All I know is that whenever we get the green for a restart I’ve gotta get some gap going behind me. The orange Stohr FB of Oberndorf is right there, filling my mirrors, and Pritchard (in 3rd) may be able to parlay this F/C yellow into enough of a cool-off period (if that’s what is even wrong w/ his ride) to mount a charge to re-take the lead.

After about 3 laps, the lights are off on the safety car and I know we are going green. Restarts are done single file, and just as in a regular start (2 columns), it’s up to you to stay on the car in front of you.
    Trust me, I’m all over the FA of J.R. Walker, and on the run down into T5, I make my move up the inside. I actually could have done this pass quicker, but instead slowed at the apex of T5, hopefully catching out the guys behind.
    Normally I’da just run it in deep and fired it out, but something (just one of the voices) told me to slow. I took this as some type divine intervention: who am I to question one of the voices? Now it’s time to get the laps in, stay on track, and stay consistent. The absolutely worst thing you can do as the laps wind down and you are in the lead is to start composing your victory speech. Check that, THE absolutely worst thing you can do as the laps wind down and you are in the lead is to wonder if you turned off the iron back in the hotel room...
    Ok so with 2 to go I’m about 3 paragraphs into my victory speech (!). I’ll have to give mega props to the FB pioneers: Hill, Beauchamp, O’Connell, Maisey and McBride. These guys showed me the light, I mean I’d always wanted to drive an Atlantic, but could never hope to be able to afford the care and feeding of such a beast. What’s an above average Joe to do? The next best (Or possibly THE best - Ed.) thing - spend about 25% and go almost as fast as the almighty Formula Atlantics.
    I also really wanted to make a statement to the assembled SCCA heirarchy, thanking them in regard to their recent decision to NOT merge FB with FA, mere weeks after issuing a dictate that said they would. Somehow this bit got left out - hey they only give you so much time up there. Truth told, I probably got more than my fair share; I was sorta waiting on the music they play at the Oscars when someone is going long...

On the last lap, I’m hardly believing it - NO ONE is in sight. The little conversion that could, did. All those months of waiting (9) for the kit to show up have finally met with about as Cinderella of an outcome as could be dreamed up by Hollywood’s finest.
    I pass under the checker, fist pumping, trying to control the flood. As I make my way round on the cool off lap, I’m waving at the assembled crowd, wondering which of my buds is where, hoping they saw some action. At 4 miles around, a cool off lap here takes awhile.
    Into Winners Circle, and track announcer Ed Conway is quick with the mic.
    Funny thing too, as about 3 hours prior, we had gone to meet him in the booth and give him a hand written bio (As a late entry, I was unable to fill out the bio form on the online registration), and chat him up. He seemed eager to talk w/ my crewchief so I called her over. Ana told him of our many late nights (in the garage!) WAIT! In the garage working on the car!, and how I was absolutely chomping at the bit to get out there and race after such a hiatus.
    The podium-pandemonium was awesome. I’ve won plenty of National events, just none that has the history of The June Sprints. I’ve always wondered how Michael Schumacher would appear to go weightless on his way to the top of the box. Now I know. It’s quite the floaty sensation, and suddenly "POIT", there you are...
    2nd place Oberndorf and 3rd place Stetcher are so tall that all it takes is for me to hunker down on the top step to have us all at the same height. Hopefully someone got a pic of that. Stetcher asks me "Are we gonna spray each other?" My reply - "You better get shakin’ on that bottle!"
    We really had to get outta there and to the Milwaukee airport for our flight home.
    As we were getting off the highway to fill up the rental’s tank, I stopped at a red light, and proceeded to dick around with the CD player. Suddenly "Green green green" filled my ears, and I looked up to see the traffic signal glowing green, and to my right, a certain crewchief was doing a bit of glowing herself. "How cool is that" I thought to myself as I pulled into the gas station...
    [SIZE=4]Next up - The Glen national @ Watkins Glen Int’l Raceway, July 12.
    Until then Ciao,
    Giancarlo Di Coopola
    #43 Formula B
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 04.02.11 at 3:36 PM.

Liked: 896

Default Congrats Coop

I certainly had high hopes for our NovaKar Van Diemen conversion kit but it took Giancarlo DiCoopola to pull it off. Thanks Coop for making my weekend!!!!

Thanks ... Jay
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 701

Big congrats again, Coop!
    I have to laugh at your missing tech sticker episode. As I was sitting on the false grid for Friday practice and watching the grid worker approach I realized that my sticker was still in my logbook, in my truck, parked by my trailer. Fortunately, I had radios and told my crew chief who had to track down my wife, who had the keys to said truck. She was at turn 5 spectating and he was able to find her in time and had the sticker on by the 3 minute call.

I get the feeling that Don S. might not be as "ok with" holding your umbrella if your crew chief was a dude.

Good luck at WGI!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 3

Default You the man!

Coop, you accomplished what I could not. Great work! I think you have made it clear that the converted Van Diemens are going to be a force to deal with in the class.

See you at the ARRC (if not sooner)...

Sean

Liked: 553

It was a long wait for these Coop Chronicles, but well worth it. Great read.

Good luck at The Glen.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 11

Yep. very intertaining! Didn't you used to write for Grassroots? Love to see some FB gab in there....
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Man Coop you have guts, "hey Anna I have an idea lets just finish it at the track".

Some guys would not have taken the car out if it wasn't painted, you left for the track missing parts.

"DAMN THE TORPEDOS - FULL SPEED AHEAD!" comes to mind.

I know how hard you worked to get there - congratulations.

Liked: 1

Coop,

Very entertaining....as always. So who was the FA driver who so kindly assisted your deceleration efforts in T1? And did he finish the race?

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Reply

Hi Rick, I've tried to find out, all I know is looked to be sort of an orange color. He looped lazilly off to the inside grass and was not there the next lap, so I can only assume he kept it running and got going again. If you know or find out who it was please let me know.

Thanks, GC

Liked: 1

Default OK

Will do, Coop. If I hear anything I'll send you a PM. Since you didn't see him on your next lap, it sounds as though whoever it was they were able to get back out in the action.

Thread Information