Liked: 65

Default Zink Z-16 CFF Race Ready!

1980 Zink Z-16 Club Formula Ford

Car was run in 2007 East-West Challenge (CenDiv & Great Lakes SCCA). Always ran strong, finished 2nd in points with rookie driver. The car was always a pleasure to drive, behaved well, and is capable of running up front as is. The car is completely race ready. It could be on the track today. I am only selling this car because I quickly became hooked on FF, have already bought a newer FF, and need the garage space. For those not familiar with the Z-16 design, it is probably the most modern design CFF you can find. Inboard rocker front suspension. And the rear of the car un-bolts from the firewall back, similar to more modern cars. This makes the car very easy to work on. Everything on the engine is easily accessible, unlike other full-frame CFF’s. This car can also accommodate larger drivers. There is plenty of room in the cockpit.

Strong Engine
    13 gear sets
    2 bead seats
    Willans FIA harness (good through 2008)
    4 sets of wheels: 3 sets Centerlines (2 with R60’s, 1 with nearly new Hoosier rains). One front centerline wheel is slightly damaged, but probably repairable. 1 set of 3 spoke Compomotives
    Odyssey battery
    Aluminum radiators
    Some miscellaneous suspension spares
    Extra front bearing (new)
    Extra front hub (new)
    4 extra pairs of springs
    Hardwired transponder
    Wired for radio (radios not included)
    All AN suspension hardware

I bought this car at the start of last season, and went about replacing any parts that were suspect. All of the items listed below were brand new last season:

All master cylinders
    All brake and clutch lines
    Calipers rebuilt with all new seals and all new stainless steel pistons
    Front hubs
    Front bearings
    Hyperco springs
    Shift linkage joints
    Throttle cable
    Momo chopped top steering wheel
    SPA mirrors

I also had some custom machined sleeves made for the front hub/bearings. These pieces solved some front wheel bearing issues that I had.

Can deliver if you are close to Indiana. Email or post here with any questions.

$8000

Brad Hayes ( bradhayes@insightbb.com )
    Last edited by bhayes; 01.06.08 at 9:34 PM. Reason: formatting

BradHayesRacing.com

Liked: 39

I got a good look at this Zink every time it passed me last year (which was alot) and its very fast. Or maybe Brad was just pedalling real hard. Either way, this is a good deal.

Liked: 0

Default zink

Do you have any more detailed photo"s

Default More Info

I have had a few questions about the engine. I guess listing it as "Strong" got everyone's attention. It was in the car when I purchased it last season. It was originally built by Classic Motorsports in Minnesota. The previous owner told me it had 4 weekends on it. This past season, I ran it in 4 double regionals plus a couple of test days. I never felt down on power, the engine always ran strong with no issues. It is a 711M block, but I am not sure what crank or pistons it has. I have not done a compression or leak down check, as I do not have the tools to do it.

One other issue I forgot to mention in the previous post is that I had a couple of issues with the starter. On occasion, it does not engage when you hit the starter button. When this happens, I would just let off the button, and press it again, and it would engage as normal. This was an inconvenience, but it never caused me to miss a start. If I were keeping the car, I would probably put a new starter on it.

The log books date back to 1987. There is only one mention of any crash damage, to the right front, in 1992 (see pic of log book page). Everything was properly repaired, and the frame is good and square. When I scale the car, I have no problem getting each side to come within a pound or two of each other on both the front and rear.

BradHayesRacing.com

Default More Pictures

BradHayesRacing.com

Hey Chcuk....thanks for the kind words. You were getting faster and faster as the year went on too!!

BradHayesRacing.com

Liked: 0

Default What a car!

I would love to tell you guys not to buy this car but if you don't buy it you will be missing the best deal on a CF I have seen since I sold my own Z10. This car has the potential to win often. You can absolutely race it as is or tweak it a bit if that is your desire. I would buy this if I could. I am still spending money on my Tatuus FC. But if I were going to buy a CF today this would be the one. ( I do not have a vested interest in this car ) Anyway I am very familiar with this car and know it to be sound and fast. Good Luck.

Liked: 3279

Back when I owned one (early '80's) the Z-16 was BY FAR the best handling FF around. Until I got my Citation 95SF, it was the best handling car I ever drove.

This is one heck of a good car. If I weren't currently racing I'd be looking very seriously at it.

EDIT: BTW, this is, IMO, the better-handling version (outboard rear suspension) of the Z-16. The later rocker rear cars never, IMO, handled as well. Of course, that may have related more to our level of damper knowledge at the time than to the rocker suspension itself.
    Last edited by DaveW; 01.08.08 at 6:34 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 1868

It's good to see that the Z16 is finally being allowed to run as a Club Ford! When CF first started, most regions banned it as being too fast compared to everything else - it kept beating DB1's for a couple years in FF until the cars all finally cycled away from the top-tier drivers.

Default SOLD

The car is sold.

Thanks to all of those who expressed interest. And to those who made positive comments in this tread!

BradHayesRacing.com

Liked: 1868

Gary just swung by after picking up the car. It looks in pretty good shape, at least from the outside - we didn't take the bodywork off. Should be a fun ride for him once he goes through it thoroughly.

Liked: 4

Glad someonepurchased this car.. teh temptation for anohter road trip to Indy was strong....
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Thread Information