FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contacts: Mike Rand
    (860)364-5252
    michaelrand@sbcglobal.net
    Steve Beeler
    (313)441-4460 x1141
    sbeeler@pmcorp.com

FORTY YEARS OF FORMULA FORD TO BE CELEBRATED AT ROAD AMERICA
    Hosted by Milwaukee Region, SCCA

Formula Ford’s 40th birthday party to be held at North America’s most historic and challenging circuit July 24-26, 2009

Elkhart Lake June 29, 2007 Formula Ford and Elkhart Lake’s Road America have been a natural fit ever since the first Formula Ford race in North America back in 1969. Long recognized as the training ground of choice for future F1, Champ Car, and prototype sports car drivers, Formula Ford has produced more stars than any other entry level class.

World Driving Champions Ayrton Senna, Emerson Fittipaldi, James Hunt, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Jody Scheckter, Mika Hakkinen and Michael Schumacher all drove Formula Fords. Indy 500 drivers Michael Andretti, Danny Sullivan, Jimmy Vasser John Paul Jr, Eddie Cheever, Paul Tracy and Dan Weldon all learned race craft in Formula Ford. Sports car champions James Weaver, Andy Wallace, JJ Lehto, Stefan Johansson, Jan Lammers, Geoff Brabham and Didier Theys all raced Formula Fords. Designers like Ferrari’s Rory Byrne, Williams’ Patrick Head, Reynard’s Adrian Reynard, and Swift’s David Bruns all penned Formula Fords early in their careers. The list is virtually endless and the one common denominator is Formula Ford.

Since opening in 1955, following the final Elkhart Lake road races, Road America’s over 50 years of history and 4 miles of challenging track have seen every type of car and virtually every driver from around the world. The central Wisconsincircuit is readily accessible to the great majority of road racers and enjoys a strong following among both competitors and spectators alike.

Three generations of Formula Fords will be racing at Road America. The burgeoning Monoposto Racing group will host an event for Historic Formula Fords (1969 – 1974). Second generation cars (1975 – 1981) will be featured in the always well supported East vs West Challenge series race for Club Fords. The feature event for current generation Formula Fords will be in conjunction with a Central Division SCCA National Points Championship race. Marques represented include Crossle, Lola, Titan, Reynard, Van Diemen, Swift, Citation, Tiga, and Piper all powered by the Ford 1600cc Kent Bold']” engine.

The three day event is tentatively scheduled to begin on Friday July 24 with test sessions for all cars entered for the weekend. The weekends event schedule will include practice, qualifying, and races for all three generations of Formula Fords as well as a full slate of SCCA national classes on Milwaukee Regions Cat National race event.

A dinner party featuring a program of significant Formula Ford personalities is planned for Saturday July 25. Other surprises and delights are being planned: a prize drawing, a Formula Ford movie festival, and so on.

An engine seminar with prominent Formula Ford engine builders Sandy Shamlian, Steve Knapp, Arnie Loyning, Ted Wenz, Peter Marcovicci, Rollin Butler, Curtis Farley, Jay Ivey and Sam Nelson is being planned. Craig Taylor has already committed to being in attendance and will offering full service and advice on Formula Ford drivetrains.This event is being developed, organized and administered through the mutual efforts of Road America, the Milwaukee Region of the Sports Car Club of America, and the efforts of long time Formula Ford competitors Steve Beeler and Mike Rand, collectively defined as the Formula Ford 40th Anniversary Committee.

So whatever else your race plans are for 2009, whether driver, crew, spectator, race worker, be sure to put the date July 24-26 at Road America on your calendar…in ink. It will be one great 40th birthday celebration of the Champions Class, Formula Ford.
    Last edited by Michael Rand; 06.29.07 at 6:01 PM.

Liked: 42

Sounds Great. Count me in !!!

How we gonna squeeze a vintage group race, EWC race, and a national race, all in the same weekend plus the CAT nat'l classes?

I can race both a CFF and FF at the same event I hope.
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 0

Sweet!!! Thanks to all involved! I'll be there!

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Marc,
    You absolutely can run your CF in both the CF race and the FF Feature, I plan doing that myself. We worked with Milwaukee Region on the schedule exactly to accomodate that instance. The tentative schedule, obviously subject to change and refinement over the next two years, has the CF Feature Race at around 11:00AM, the Vintage Ford race at 1:30PM right after lunch, and the FF Feature at around 3:30PM.
    If anyone has run the Cat National recently you know the Rgion has brought in other, regional, classes [IT] to bring the entry up, and as those classes have been accomodated it ws relatively easy to replace them, at least for 2009, with the FF 40th Celebration.

Liked: 47

Do you need a SCCA license and a SCCA legal ford to run this event? I do not have a SCCA log book nor do I want to go and add thicker roll hoops etc. to my 1975 Van Diemen. I'm sure a lot of fomula fords (especially the vintage guys) have the same situation.

Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

If you can run in the Monoposto Vintage race the car need not be to full SCCA GCR, but to run in the CF or FF races SCCA license and GCR legal car are required.
    You seem to have a car not updated and possibly to "new" for Monoposto.
    Any car accepted into the Vintage Ford race does not need to have an SCCA Logbook nor does the driver need an SCCA license, but thedriver must be licensed by a recognized Vintage or Historic organization.
    Basically, we want everyone to be able to take part and will bend over backwards to find a place and accomodate you and the car.
    In other words, we'll find a place.
    The Vintage Ford race will however have treaded tires required, but then I, and others, are running Dunlops in CF already.

Liked: 115

Default Thanks!

Mike & Steve:

Thanks for all the hard work on organizing this. Let me know if I can help.

jg

Liked: 157

Ian,

Unless your car is absolutely perfect and unmolested and traceable to one of the great drivers that came out of FF and went on to be great why not break down and do the rollhoop upgrade? You have 20 months in which to get it done! It opens up new clubs to race with and on the upside if you ever where to roll over (it HAPPENS) there is more protection with a new piece of tubing that is also thicker, than with the piece that is in there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    Ian,

Unless your car is absolutely perfect and unmolested and traceable to one of the great drivers that came out of FF and went on to be great why not break down and do the rollhoop upgrade? .
    Unless someone has the original log book for this car, I would need to do a lot because SCCA would tech this car as a 2007 model. This means forward facing braces from the front roll hoop to the front bulk head, aluminum crush box, Reinforced side protection, 2 rear facing bars off the main hoop. Too much work for 1 event. It's a vintage car.

I will have a modern era fomula ford back in the garage by the time this event rolls into town.

Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Add a Bowman to the list

I plan on running the event. So you can add the one and only Bowman FF to the list of types that will be there.

Ed Callo

Diversity is a wonderful thing.......

Liked: 2

Default two out of three ain't bad

Mikey,
    As you know, I've announced my retirement from the weekly paycheck drudgery and have a 1974 Zink and a 1976 Crossle. I have about two years to find my "modern" FF and if I can get 'em there, I'm in all three. I'm in regardless. I'll get 'em there somehow.

Also, count me in if you need help in your organizing and such. Sue will put me to work if I don't have some good excuses.

Mike

ps: Remember Meat Loaf (reference my title) in the Dodge International Race of Stars or as Carl Lopez named it "The Day the Music Died"????

Liked: 3

Hi Mike,

Glad to see the post on the 40th. I may have been on the "missing in action" list lately (yesterday included) but you know that's one event I won't miss. Having been involved with the class for some 35 years already, a couple of more to see the 40th is no problem. I may be getting old (though you're not far behind me) but if I can last as long as Tracy's dad, I'll be around for the 40th, the 50th and more.

I know that Warren has every intention of being there - which means I may have to transport his car out there. He'd better do something about a license first.

Hope to see all later this summer - maybe for the August race at LRP

Bobby Kawash

Liked: 232

Default South Florida FF ... on our way

Note: moved form another forum ... misplaced, sorry

Hello Mike and Steve .....
    Once a Formula Ford racer, ALWAYS a FF racer; even NEW ones ! My son Jason graduates from UCF Engineering in May of 2009 and he thought a Graduation Gift of co-participation in the 40th Anniversary Event would be GREAT; and now I have to get a CFF car for myself. (Note: he drives a db-1 built when he was born/owned by me since 1987) - So Mike, please include my son and I into the e-mail loop - John Gaither is attacking Paul Tavilla to get a car (... as am I - and he will). This past weekend I met with Dennis Vitolo and planted a seed for him to get a car. So too with Dennis Hoinig. As discussed, if we pull it off, all the vintage nonsense with the SF Merry Pranksters will really begin ....

Please recall Mike the last time we talked, we discussed the concept of a "Marque Paddock" where the paddock space could be divided and assigned for Royale, Lola , Swift etc - it my be difficult without significant pre-registration with an early cutoff date/late penality charge but at least it’s a thought to be kept in mind - small placards/flags with the marques could be a nice and not too expensive touch.

rotti@bellsouth.net
    e30sport@gmail.com

All the best and thanks for you effort
    EJ

Swift db-1 (019-85) / Ducati Paso Ltd SS / 70 Triumph "Bonnie"
    Plantation (Ft.Lauderdale)/SCCA-Florida Region 37 years
    JGenerotti's friend, dad, mechanic, assoc. sponsor, etc.

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default Royale Paddock For the 40th

Taking Mike up on his idea, I'm happy to organize all Royale racers in once giant paddock for the event.

If you intended to go, please privide me with the following info:
    Length of truck/trailer (doors open and closed)
    Length/Width of your awning/tent/canopy
    Number of cars in your hauler

Be as specific as you can. This is part of my current job (with NASA) and we can get it down to the exact inch if needed!

Anyone need help in setting up a paddocks for their make; I'm happy to help! Spreadsheets, Viso, you name it!

Ready? Set? Go!
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Stohr Paddock for the 40th

Let's see, there's already a Porsche Park and Corvette Corral. Next up is the Royale Range and Stohr Stable.

Hey Steve Z, be sure to reserve the 7/24/09 weekend so we can reunite the Stohrs. Please provide your following preferences:

Breakfast: sausage or ham egger?
    Lunch: sauerkraut or fried onions on your bratwurst?
    Dinner: Miller Genuine Draft or Miller Lite?

JJ

Liked: 8

Default Towing

Would this be possible? Hire a car transporter to haul cars to the race?

Maybe there are more guys like me, but my tow rig is not so good to haul that far. And getting the vacation time may not work for everyone.

It would be great to have the cars towed there, fly out and fly back.

From Conn. it is like 18 hours or something right?

I wonder what that would cost if a bunch of guys split the price?

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by LolaT440 View Post
    Would this be possible? Hire a car transporter to haul cars to the race?

Maybe there are more guys like me, but my tow rig is not so good to haul that far. And getting the vacation time may not work for everyone.

It would be great to have the cars towed there, fly out and fly back.

From Conn. it is like 18 hours or something right?

I wonder what that would cost if a bunch of guys split the price?

This is very do-able. Outfits like Horseless Carriage do it for marque clubs, shows etc. You arrange some pickup point where folks bring their cars, the shipper takes them to/from the event, and you pick them up again at the pickup point.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Towing to Road Atlanta is around 15-16 hours. I drove down for the F2000 event back in May and going out I-84 to Scranton, down 81 to 77 to 85 to Rd At is just about 950 miles from Lime Rock.
    Your mileage and time may differ......

Liked: 1

Default Participaring cars not listed

Michael,

I was wondering if you were going to include Formual Ford 2000 as a class - such as your old Crossle 63F and my newer Raynard 90SF - more specifically CFC cars (pre 1991 FC)?

David Keep

Hi David,
    At this juncture it is all about 40 years of FF1600 in North America.
    With some research the significant anniversary's of FF2000/F2000/FC could be found.
    For instance, I know that the first time a 2 liter won in FC at the Runoffs was in 1988 so next year would look like the 20th for that class in North America, unless there was a Pro Series running, which I know there was, at least in Canada, well before the SCCA included the cars we know as F2000/FF2000/SuperFord in England, into FC in Club racing.
    I sort of miss the Crossle 63F, nice car, but I enjoy my little 30F 1600.
    Anyway, at this point there is no way to accomodate anything else.
    Maybe there is an event coming along sometime for all the Ford powered cars. In fact, Bob Hatle from California just called about that very topic. So who knows, never say never !

Liked: 490

I just got home from the Brian Redman at Road America.........2500 miles and 4 days from San Diego
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Hey gang, before anyone freaks out or gets confused, the latest issue of Formula Car Magazine has a misprint in their article announcing this event, they mistakenly have it in 2008, it is definately July 24-26 2009, not next year.
    FCM will print a correction in the next issue, and by the way Rob Howden, Al Craighead, FCM and Eformulacarnews are very much involved with the event, to the point their excitement led to a simple typo !
    Let the planning continue......

Liked: 32

Default Group Tranport Investigation

I have spent a little time looking into transporting my car to RA for this event. I considered a 16ft POD, way to $$$, almost 5K.

I found a http://www.transportreviews.com which has review about car transporter companies. After reading some of the reviews, the solo drive sounded a lot more stress free.

Not to give up easily, I contacted the top rated companies with this request for info;

Copy
    Looking ahead to a major milestone anniversary for a racecar group I am making preliminary queries into transporting a number of formula (very low ground clearance) cars to Wisconsin from Connecticut and back. The cars would be unloaded at the race track for use over a three weekend event (mid July 2009), then loaded back on and returned to Connecticut. It would be possible for all the cars to be in one place for initial pick up and return if the savings were significant enough. The intent would be to fill the enclosed transporter with only our formula cars for dedicated transport.
    Questions;
    Is this something you could support ?
    What would the total estimated cost be? 2007 dollars
    Can support items (tires, tools,etc.. ) be also transported.
    If this is a viable option, I will post your response on the Formula Car Web because this event will be pulling groups from all over the US and Canada
    Thanks in advance for any feed back you can provide.

I will post a summary of responses, stay tuned

Liked: 490

I talked to Sunday Transport about a deal like that for this year's BRIC at Road America. They said it could be done. You would have a transport fee, plus a daily fee for leaving the transport at the track. It didn't work out for us this year, but it's an option. I have had good luck with them transporting cars before. I have no financial stake in them. 800-541-6601
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Contributing Member Don Denomme's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Looking forward to it already. Hay Bob K. and Mike. You guys have been racing for approx 35 years. I didn't know that you could get a license at 14 years old back "in-the-day". Then again, I've been racing for 27 years and got my license at the age of 12 .

See you there !

Don

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Twelve Years Old?

Um.....okay, let's do the math..........something's fishy here!

No need for math, they all just fall into the "old" category, you know, like sox aaaand race car drivers aaand doughnuts....

SEM

Liked: 42

I'd be interested in sharing a transport to get a Titan from Laguna Beach area to the event as well.

I have a feeling the closer we get the more we'll be seeing groups of people getting together to get cars to the event.

Liked: 186

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jeffords View Post
    Let's see, there's already a Porsche Park and Corvette Corral. Next up is the Royale Range and Stohr Stable.
    JJ
    Look for me at the "Lola Lounge".

Doug Meis
    1974 Lola T340

Liked: 32

Default Mass Transport -more question than Answers

As I returned from NHIS this weekend I was thinking about the logistics of this event.

Some questions that need to be addressed;

Is there normally / planned a Friday Test day before this event?

Are there garages to rent? If mass transporting support equipment (canopies,air, power) will be limited.

What is the nearest major airport with rental cars?

I have not gotten any firm numbers on transport, one company in Ohio is very responsive and should provide some feedback soon.

Any help filling in the blanks will help firm up the long range plan.
    Thanks

Liked: 23

The Milwaukee region has had SCCA sanctioned test days on Friday the past 2 (or more) years

There are no garages at Elkhart. But I do believe the do allow 3rd party tents in the paddock on pro weekends...perhaps a large communal tent would be possible depending on cost.

MKE is the nearest major airport, but I do think regional jets will fly in to Fon du Lac but likely not worth the hassle.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Quote Originally Posted by AJWALKER View Post
    Are there garages to rent? If mass transporting support equipment (canopies,air, power) will be limited.
    Karl's Rental works closely with Road America and they can have a full tent with what ever you need ready for you when you arrive.

http://www.karls.com/

MKE is one of the easiest airports to get in and out of.

Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Default 40 YEARS!

The 2nd ever FF race was at Lime Rock in May - 1969. I took a secnd place to Fred Stevenson in my first ever race in a new Lotus 61.

For the 25th year - got to borrow back my old PRS with two working gears and three different compounds of the four tires.

The 35th year - bought a box of parts and an RF80 VD. Now have a nice RF81 VD.

Count us in on the 40th. Remember to stop by 'the bad smell motel' RV.

Uncle Frank

Liked: 67

This'll be a great deal.

We had a heck of a party for the "30 Years of S2" in May of 2007, over 80 cars (after 137 sent in $25 number reservation deposits!?!?!), six former National Champs and every chassis under the sun except a Halley's Comet! Several trailer loads of cars from SoCal and PacNW.

Have fun, Mike! Keep me posted about the Swift Reunion at Summit. I think we could get 25-30 DB-2's and DB-5's there if the lead time is long enough!

-Peter
    www.peterkrause.net
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

I'll give it a go, hopefully bringing a Mondiale. My only problem is the SCCA thing. I'm not SCCA anymore and would hate to make the trip only to have to sit and watch. I was at the 20th Anniversary at Willow Springs and would love to be at the 40th. What accommodations are being made to drivers who love FF1600 and want to be part of the fun but aren't Vintage or SCCA?

That's an interesting question. We are working on the car specs and driver licensing requirements.
    The preliminary format dictates SCCA license for Club Ford or Formula Ford with any Vintage Motorsport Council member club license accepted for the Historic Ford race.
    If you have a Midwest Council, or PCA Racing, or BMWCCA Racing, or ICSCC, CACC, or other competition license that will be accepted per the GCR, but ultimately a license from a recognized race organizer will be required.
    That is due to the insurance requirement that dictates only experienced licensed drivers can take part.
    It would be great to have one or two or ten of Leslie Drysdales Mondials there, the event is a year and a half away, plenty of time to prepare the car and the driver and get licensed.
    As you did Willow Springs and the 20th it would be a shame to miss Road America and the 40th.

Liked: 3

Well I'll definitly have my car there! Too close to miss this race!

Default FF Personalities Wanted !!!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    FF40-08-01

Contacts:
    Mike Rand
    860-364-5252
    michaelrand@sbcglobal.net

Steve Beeler
    313-441-4460 x1141
    sbeeler@pmcorp.com

February 3, 2008

With 2008 underway we are under approaching the 18 month out mark for the 40th Anniversary of Formula Ford to be celebrated July 24-26, 2009'.
    As specific plans begin to come together, as discussed in previous Newsletters regarding driver licensing requirements and car eligibility, the organizers are beginning the search for many significant Formula Ford personalities in order to extend an invitation to as many as can be located.
    Formula Ford's initial US National Champion Skip Barber [1969-Caldwell and 1970 Tecno] has accepted the first official invitation and is expected to attend. Other past National Champions accepting invitations include David Weitzenhof [1977, 1979, 1981 in Zinks and 1987 in a Citation], David Loring [1978- Eagle], Tony Kester [1990- Reynard], John LaRue [1997-Citation], Justin Pritchard [2002 and 2003-Piper], Tom Schweitz [2006-Piper] and John Robinson [2005 and 2007-Swift DB6].
    Well known FF motor builders Jay Ivey, Rollin Butler, Arnie Loyning, Steve Knapp, Sandy Shamlian, Ted Wenz and Peter Marcovicci, and Curtis Farley are expected to attend and be available for advice and assistance as needed. Craig Taylor and his mobile Taylor Engineering crew has committed to being there as has Joe Stimola with his Penske Shock traveling laboratory.
    Luminaries like Bruce MacInnes, Don Sievenpiper, Steve Lathrop, David Bruns are all invited as are Ralph Firman, John Crossle, Carl Haas and Fred Opert.
    The search for past National Champions such as Jim Harrell [1971-Titan], Eddie Miller [1972-Hawke and 1974-Lola], Bob Earl [1973-ADF], Tom Weichman [1975-ADF], DennisFirestone [1976-Crossle], Bob Lobenberg [1980-ADF and 1982-Viking], R.K. Smith [1983-Swift], Jackson Younge [1984-Reynard], Scott Atchison [1985-Swift], Kenny Hendrick [1988-Swift], Richard Bahmer [1989-Swift], Richard Schroebel [1991-Swift], C.T. Hancock [1992-Swift], Anthony Lazarro [1993-Van Diemen], John Fillipakis [1994-Swift], Keith Nunes [1998 and 1999-Swift], Chris Winkler [2000- Van Diemen], Kyle Krisiloff [2001-Van Diemen], and Scott Rarick [2004-Swift] is underway and any assistance anyone can offer in locating them will be appreciated.
    We know where Jimmy Vasser [1986-Swift] is and depending on his situation and obligations we hope he can and will attend, along with Michael Andretti, Chip Ganassi, Danny Sullivan, Paul Tracy and Eddie Cheever.
    Michael Gue, John Grubb, Carlos Bobeda, Paul Pfanner, and many other Formula Ford names are expected to join in the festivities as is, of course, the author of the bible of Formula Ford, The Anatomy and Development of the Formula Ford Race Car, Steve Nickless.
    The event organizers welcome any and all assistance regarding contact information not just for the above, but everyone who is a part of Formula Fords past, present and future.

Default road america reunion

hmmm
    maybe ill get my car together to come play
    mark cohen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information