Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 702

Default Mike B's RF93 conversion

Not to be outdone by Russ, here are a few pictures of recent progress on my RF93 F1000 conversion. We're using a different approach in that about 90% of the design was done in SolidWorks, with the excruciating little details being worked out as we go. The engine is a '99 R1 because I got it several years ago at "the right price." Plans are to upgrade to an '04+ R1 once the concept and chassis has been sorted this year. The engine is turned at a slight angle that puts the rear sprocket nearly on the centerline of the car. The differential is our own proprietary design using VW internals. The photo shows a functioning prototype but needs the cross shaft retainers (the big bolts you see) remachined and the holes for the sprocket drilled.
    Most of the chassis was cut off at the firewall and machined fittings welded into the tubes. This allows virtually unlimited engine configurations without modifying the main chassis (just making a new engine bay structure if required.)
    All the rear suspension, including bell cranks and bell crank cross brace remain stock Van Diemen.
    Looks can be deceiving: while it appears that most of the major work is done, there are still many details to work out. We're hopeful to be on the track for the first Cendiv national and if all goes well this season, we'll make an attempt to attend the ARRC.
    Progress has been slow but I'll post more as things take shape.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 553

Way to go, Mike!

I see a few clever things in the pictures. I like the machined fittings.

I totally understand what you mean when you say it looks like a lot has been done but there's SO much more to do. Perhaps the completion of your project will coincide with the arrival of perfect racing weather. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Default The new 80/20 rule

When you think you are 80% complete you only have 80% to go.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default Mike B's

Excellent work and design approach! Thanks for posting progress photos.

Liked: 11

Looks great Mike. Its neat to see all of the different versions of the same thing... it should only get easier for those to follow.

Are you still planning on producing a "kit"?
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Mike, there's one thing I notice and want to hear your thoughts. The very back of your structure (behind the rearmost suspension pickup points), is much beefier than I would expect. On my car, I had planned to add some type of extension from for the rear wing support, but I was thinking it would be as minimal as I could get away with. I'm wondering if there's something you've planned for that I've overlooked.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Conversions to Motorcycle Power

It sure is interesting for me to follow all you guys designing & fabbing your own conversions since I went through this process myself last year. I first thought about m/c powered formula cars way back in the early 90's when I was racing the Kawasaki snowmobile powered F440 (now F500) cars. At that time the Kawasaki 440 engine was out of production & the supply of new engines had dried up. So we were looking for a replacement power source & a few of us thought the then current 750 sportbike engines would be really cool. However, for some unknown reason we could not get the idea to take off & now that class has moved into it's 3rd two stroke engine design since then. It's good to finally prove the idea works, 15 years later!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

The machined fittings are the cat's a$$ and were a piece of cake to make. If anyone needs them, let me know!
    The rear of the structure is beefy more for suspension loads than wing mounting. The wing mounting is one of those excruciating details that we'll figure out when we get there. It won't be very elaborate.
    Today we're working on finalizing and fabricating the side engine mounts. Then we can locate and mount the diff and it will be close to being able to roll around on the ground.
    The kit idea is still in the back of my mind but it won't be this design. We're learning a lot on this project that we'll incorporate into the other chassis that's collecting dust. I wouldn't want to make the fixtures for this design!
    More (lots more ) to come...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 1

Default FC Conversion

Mike B.

Looks great...Keep the updates coming! I know you've been working on it (in mind, in computer, and in building) for a long time and I wish you success. I think your idea for the "split" between the front and back of the chassis is a good one. We've used a similar design on the F1K-07....seen here in an exploded view.....

The female part goes into the roll hoop and the male end is inserted in the horizontal tubes of the back half of the chassis. Our idea for doing a conversion is along the exact same lines...except we just don't have time to work on it yet.

Mike D.

You are exactly correct! We were talking about that same thing yesterday as we feel like we're around 80% on our car....but it feels like we still have a long way to go!

If all goes as planned with the building of the a-arms we should have a completely suspended and rolling chassis within 2 weeks. By that time, the plug should be done and we should be able to begin building the molds for the body parts.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Cars, Inc.

I lied. We had the wrong bolts for the engine mount so we finished up mounting the shocks:
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Lots of good progress last weekend:
    Finished all the suspension pick-up points. Other than the rear wing mount and miscellaneous tabs, the "transaxle" is now complete. It and the exhaust are out getting final welding. After the June Sprints, the car could be assembled as a roller and sit on the ground all by itself.
    Got a set of PeterD headers (S & S)-thanks to Ben Cooper (Brands) for the suggestion. 3 of the 4 primaries fit perfectly but #1 had some interference. Within a couple hours, we were able to reconfigure it to wrap around the offending chassis tube.
    http://www.mike-beauchamp.com/f1000/images/header.jpg

Modified the 4 into 2 into 1 collector to change the exit angle a bit and grafted on the remainder of the exhaust pipe.
    http://www.mike-beauchamp.com/f1000/images/exhaust.jpg

Modified the muffler that came with the FC (shortened it about 4"). It's ready to attach once we determine where the rear wing and diffuser will end up.

Fit up the RF97 sidepod halves on the right side. The assembly fit better than I had hoped and only the floor portion willl need to be modified. They will be much wider than we need so cooling should never be a problem! Drag might be excessive, though. http://www.mike-beauchamp.com/f1000/images/sidepod1.jpg

Next will be to fabricate the lower side pod section for the left side. And the engine cover. And the plumbing. And the wiring. And the paint. And the wings. And the fire system. Did I forget anything? Oh yes.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

You're not racing that thing yet? What's taking so long? :-).

Just kidding. That's kind of a standing joke around here, because several of us have, or had, projects that take longer than "bystanders" understand.

The Peter D exhaust looks like it turned out great. I'll bet that route will be good for people to consider for F1000 (& sports racer) conversions.

I can't wait to see your car all together. Newer sidepods will be a nice touch.

Thanks for the update.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

I figure that the PeterD headers saved us a good 10-12 hours of work. The primaries are all different lengths so they're not optimal but the workmanship appears quite nice. Right now, it's more about getting on the track soon than all-out performance. I'm using a '99 R1 so I'm already at a disadvantage...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    I figure that the PeterD headers saved us a good 10-12 hours of work. The primaries are all different lengths so they're not optimal but the workmanship appears quite nice. Right now, it's more about getting on the track soon than all-out performance. I'm using a '99 R1 so I'm already at a disadvantage...
    Mike, it's almost uncanny how similarly we think. I was so thrilled to come up with my header solution the last thing in the world I cared about was equal length primary tubes.

I've also been thinking my 2005 engine could be a disadvantage by the time I finally get racing, but you've got me beat there. Heck, your engine was built in the last century!

I'm afraid your biggest disadvantage will be your chassis year. I did a lot of research and determined the 1994 year was best. I'm afraid the 1993 chassis just wont cut it.

Glad to hear you're making good progress. I wish you continued good luck.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Heck, your engine was built in the last century!
    Geez Russ, when you put it that way it really makes me feel inadequate...

I'm afraid your biggest disadvantage will be your chassis year. I did a lot of research and determined the 1994 year was best. I'm afraid the 1993 chassis just wont cut it.
    Not this one. This is a special 1993 chassis that is extra fast. Plus it will have all the Gyrodynamics updates and some new ones that we have up our sleeves. You'll see...I hope.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 126

Looking Good Mike! Hope to see you at the track soon.

Good to see you plugging along Mike. Hopefully we will see you at the ARRC- plenty of time left!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 1

Default Progress report wanted ;)

Mike,
    I have been following the conversions and wanted to see if there was an update to the RF93 you are doing...especially since that is the same chassis I have

Does it look like you are going to make the ARRC?

Curt
    Curt King

Rockwall TX

The car is progressing a little bit each evening. Lately, it's been things that don't look like progress and don't photograph well, but need to get done, like sanding bodywork, rebuilding master cylinders, and the like. The wiring is mostly done except for mounting the bike electronics and wiring the data/sensors. The cooling system is done but just needs to be tightened up. Most of the bodywork is ready for paint but the engine cover is only about 25% done.
    Last weekend I designed an adaptor that replaces the OE oil cooler to plumb a remote cooler. It will also have a provision for press. and temp. sensors. It should get machined next week, then I can lay out the oil system plumbing.

One other thing I've been working on is a carbon fiber hood for my neighbor's dune buggy. Coincidentally, it's powered by a Honda RC51 engine and uses some similar concepts to our stuff, just LOTS more suspension travel. The test hood turned out mediocre but he was please with it.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Quote Originally Posted by Whoomah View Post
    Does it look like you are going to make the ARRC?
    Yes, Mike will be at the ARRC, even if we have to drive up and kidnap him. He's done a LOT to make sure the first FB race at the ARRC will be special (He's responsible for at least half of the sponsors who have signed on, plus working on the tow fund, media, prizes, party, ...). He HAS to be at the ARRC. It's not an option.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Russ,
    If you come up to kidnap me, bring a big trailer so I have a good way of getting my car, spares, and tools to Road Atlanta...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Finally tackled the engine cover, a job I've been dreading since the beginning of this project. The results are pretty lackluster and not what I had in my mind's eye. It's basically an RF93 engine cover with a behind-the-head conversion scoop grafted on high enough to clear the R1 airbox. I'm hesitant to show the pics because it isn't my best work. Anyway, it's now about 80% done with a few "bubbles" to graft on to clear the airbox and shifter cable. Then LOTS of sanding.
    About half of the bodywork fasteners are in place, hence the duct tape. A new (better) engine cover is on the extremely long list of winter projects.
    Other stuff:
    • The wiring is 99% done-just need a battery to be able to power up everything and crank the engine.
    • The coolant plumbing is 99% done-just need a couple fittings and hose clamps to seal it up.
    • The oil cooler is in-just need our custom oil cooler adaptor from the machinist. About an hour's worth of work to finish that.
    • The fuel system is 90% done-need some fittings and a fuel sample valve.
    Big things left:
    • Finish the bodywork and paint it.
    • Get the diffs back from the machinist and install one to determine half-shaft lengths.
    • Install the brake plumbing, rebuild the calipers.
    • Build a diffuser.
    • Assemble.
    • Homologation!
    We may not make the regional at the end of September at which we had hoped to shake the car down. The ARRC should be a go, but I really want to get a couple good sessions in before making the long tow.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Looking good, Mike!

Regarding homologation: If you haven't already, print out the forms. I did that recently and was a little surprised to see they are different compared to when I filled them out for FS a few years ago. For F1000 they want specific pictures to show that you are in compliance with specific GCR sections (fuel cell, fire wall, etc.). They even want a picture that shows your car has no aerodynamic skirts.

If I read the form correctly, there are 25 different pictures you are suppose to provide. In reality, some of the pictures can do double duty.

My main reason for mentioning this is because some pictures are easier taken before the car is all together.

Re: brakes: Just work the pistons in & out a few times and rebuild them next winter. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 26

Default Homologation

You may not have to go through the whole homologation.I would check before going to that extent.Below is what it says for converted cars.

If your car has been homologated but you decide to change classes, your car will need to be re-homologated for that class.
    • Please send your original homologation certificate to the National Office along with pictures of the car showing the bodywork, and a description of the changes. We will then review your original forms to verify compliance with the rules for the new class.
    • In some cases, you may be required to complete the homologation request forms as outlined in the new design section.
    • There is no charge for a conversion.

Thanks, John. I think you're right. Looks much easier than I thought. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

I have applied for holologation papers for several FC to DSR conversions and the process was painless. A quick call to Topeka, talk to Jeremey and can give you the requirements.

Default Homologation details

Homologation update: Requirements vary depending on age of car (10 years or older). Details here: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...47&postcount=1
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mosteller View Post
    You may not have to go through the whole homologation.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

The engine runs!...but just for a few seconds. When we filled the water we found a lower water pipe that was cracked & leaking. Because there is no water in it, we just ran it for about 20 seconds, long enough to confirm that we didn't just install a boat anchor. I was amazed that an engine that had been sitting on a garage floor for almost 5 years fired right up. We ran it without the muffler and it sounded GOOD.
    The leaking water pipe runs through the oil sump and when we removed it, oil started gushing out. It now appears that we probably allowed water to get in the oil and probably some oil into the water pump. We'll need to figure out how to solve that after I get the pipe welded.
    We also have a few wiring problems. One problem doesn't allow the starter relay to engage so we had to jumper the wires to the battery. The other wiring problem is causing the Pi dash to display several fault codes (EXUP valve, fuel level, and kick stand.) These might also be causing the starter relay problem. Need to do some research on that.
    The body panels are currently at the painter, hopefully done some time this week (holding breath.) Clark Lincoln was generous enough to whip up a quick paint scheme. No, I'm not using a Suzuki engine, but I liked the GSX-R color combo and the blue matches the chassis color. The first paint job won't be as elaborate but that will be corrected over the winter. Thanks, Clark!
    Just waiting for the diff housings to be finished so I can get the sprocket and chain installed. Then I can order the half shafts and finish the assembly!

Back to the garage...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Clark should start charging for his services... that looks awesome.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Way to go, Mike! Your chances for making the ARRC are looking better all the time.

I remember Sean suggesting that when I first start my engine to do it with no muffler. That is truly a great sound. especially coming from a lump that has been sitting quiet on a garage floor for a while.

Sean, I agree about Clark's services. Everything he does is very impressive.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Just a quick update:
    The body work is all painted but a few pieces need some wet sanding and buffing so I don't have any pics yet. I'll apologize to Clark Lincoln in advance because it didn't turn out how I wanted and in the interest of time, I didn't do the whole scheme. That will be another winter project.
    I also got our custom diffs back from my machinist, along with some other trinkets: a custom R1 oil cap to cure a clearance problem, some wing spacers, and some shock bushings, the latter two items having disappeared in the initial teardown. Measured for the half shafts and placed an order with Taylor Race Engineering. We have some milling to do on our diff mounting plates and then the whole rear end can go together, hopefully for the last time!
    Just a small amount of fab work left and then it's all assembly. It's now a race to see if I can finish the car before I run out of money!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Excellent progress. And I've heard you've had some luck arranging your tow to the ARRC. It's all coming together!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    ... It's now a race to see if I can finish the car before I run out of money!
    I think you'll find that it will work out perfectly. The amount of money that you have available will match exactly with what you will spend. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Excellent progress..............I think you'll find that it will work out perfectly. The amount of money that you have available will match exactly with what you will spend. :-).
    Funny how it works out that way, especially if you have good credit.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Now that I don't have that pesky job anymore I've been able to dedicate more time to finishing the car. The logical thing to do would've been to put everything on the back burner and start looking for a job, but lots of people (my wife included! ) urged me to press on since the car was soooo close.
    The now-painted bodywork is all fitted. This was a big piece of the puzzle that seemed to take forever. Something must've happened between the time I dropped everything off at the painter and when I reassembled everything because now most of the panels fit like crap. Oh well, it will get through the ARRC. Just another thing to add to the winter project list.
    There are still a few little things left to do (chain guard, muffler bracket, diffuser, seat, graphics, scale, align) but the homologation application goes out tomorrow and I'm hoping for a quick turnaround and no problems. I was hoping to do it via e-mail and fax but never got a call back from Topeka
    I know I've said this before, but I think the car will be driveable this weekend.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

I like it. Reminds me of Williams or maybe Brabham (Parmalat). The panel fitment will look pretty good at 100 MPH.

Homologation will go smoothly. They pretty much rubber stamp VD conversions.

I look forward to your post after you drive it for the first time.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Looks good

Looks good Mike, what do you do for a living so we can start bird-dogging for you.

Joe

Liked: 126

Hey Mike - glad to see you're approaching the finish. Good luck at the ARRC.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Lookin' good, Mike. Let me know if you any help this weekend.

Jon

The car is now drivable! It was a very short trip but most everything worked for that short trip.
    Had to rejet the carbs (thanks to Bill Maisey) and overcome a still-unknown problem with the fuel cell which required complete removal (a PITA). I would really like to have a more thorough shakedown but we uncovered a strange problem with the clutch engaging only intermittently. It will need to come apart this week but shouldn't be a show stopper.
    Still lots of little things to do but I have nothing but time...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

And it's now legal!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information