Liked: 0

Default 2006 EWC Schedule

Three of the four 2006 FF/CFF East vs West Challenge double regional weekends are set:

May 27-28 @ Grattan Raceway Park (Western Michigan Region)
    July 8-9 @ Blackhawk Farms Raceway (Blackhawk Valley Region)
    August 26-27 @ Road America (Chicago Region)

I have a handshake with the region executive on the fourth weekend pending region board approval. Based on your input, it was selected based on (1) single FF/CFF race group and (2) race weekend cadence. Announcement to follow immediately after the early January board meeting.

More good news: steady progress is being made on re-upping EWC sponsors for 2006.

The EWC will be the place to race in 2006. If you don't have a FF or CFF in your shop, now is the time to find one before they are all spoken for.

Happy holidays!

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)390-1818 sbeeler@ford.com

Default Fourth 2006 EWC Weekend

The fourth 2006 EWC weekend will be at the Nelson Ledges Road Course September 23-24. This date meets the one race per month cadence and, most importantly, both the host region (NeOhio) and track management (Scott Lane) are very motivated to work with us.
    For the first time, there will be single FF/CFF race groups for the entire EWC.

Here is the complete schedule:

May 27-28 @ Grattan Raceway Park (Western Michigan Region)
    July 8-9 @ Blackhawk Farms Raceway (Blackhawk Valley Region)
    August 26-27 @ Road America (Chicago Region)
    September 23-24 @ Nelson Ledges Road Course (NeOhio Region)

Now that the schedule is set, I'll be turning my attention to the contingency award program. More good news to follow.

Lola T-540 HU44

Liked: 12

Steve....

I think this is an extremely smart move for the EWC...and one that all Challenge-style series need to take in their progression. Aside from bringing more FF cars together for big race groups, which everyone wants, these series provide power and strength to the FF/CFF category. However, this 'power' is worthless unless it's leveraged.

The EWC brings 30+ extra entries to any race (over the standard 10 or so), which can mean $5000+ for the host region of an event. This leverage must be used to get the things the racers desire: the important single race group, good paddock space, etc. Leaving M-O, a region that did not really step up to the plate to support the EWC, for a track (and region) that really wanted the series (Nelson), has finally put the power in the EWC's hands. It's a simple equation...take care of the series and its competitors and you will get the date and the entry money...fail to work with the EWC team and lose the cash.

This is simply taking a stand for what the series stands for and I would bet that the Grattan, Blackhawk and Road America host regions will be much more receptive in future years, knowing that the EWC will indeed move venues, if necessary.

As I said, a great move.

RH - FCM
    Take care,

Rob Howden
    519-223-1152

Liked: 3

Default Going to Nelson

Steve:

We're going to Nelson! Bruce and I will have to see who else we can drag along with us.

We were at Nelson two years ago and the changes were indeed noticeable.

Cindy

** I did a mapquest and it is less than 50 miles further for us to haul to Nelson versus MO.

Default Nelson Ledges

Cindy,
    . . . and only 1,400 miles from Austin!

Van Diemen RF-98k

Liked: 313

So what's the low down on Nelson. Last time I was there it wasn't much to talk about (at least in polite company). And lodging was spotty.

Do they have real flush plumbing yet?

Do they have showers?

Do they allow trailer camping?

Last time I was there, a pot hole opened up in the carousel and they put a traffic cone in it to keep from running into it. The racing surface is better, yes?

Liked: 64

Hey Dave,first one to the traffic cone wins!
    The good ,bad and ugly of Nelson.
    It is a FUN track! Very fast, that should suit your needs.
    Lodging and resturants are scarce. Although there is a good local resturant not too far away.
    However, keep it on the track or one could disappear forever in the swamps on the backstraight.
    I haven't been since the improvements??? Jim Kocher or Rex Gunning might be able to give us more info.
    Wes Allen

Liked: 2

I experienced Nelson for the first time this past Oct. They do have plumbing and showers. Don't know about the camping. From what others said, it is much better than in the past. Also, there was no cone in the carousel, but the braking zone prior to the carousel still tosses the car around. It is still overall bumpier than Grattan, but the banked section was pretty smooth.
    Scott

Contributing Member

Default Nelson Ledges

I took my drivers school and did my first couple years of racing at Nelson before I bailed out because of the autrocious facilities and the deteriorating track. Its under new management now and I've gone back to Nelson for the Pumpkin the past two years -- quite improved over the mid to late 90's. With flush toilets and hot water in the showers, you can now take your wife and kids. You can leave the lawn mower at home since the paddock is cut regularly now. Best of all, you can use all of the track for racing - no potholes to dodge, etc. It's still rough in places, but manageable -- better for the CFs with softer springs, but all will need to raise the ride height a bit. Agricultural excursions are another story - its sill rutted and not very kind to formula cars. I destroyed the nose on my DB-1 with a minor "off" at Station 12 last year. But it keeps improving -- several sections of track have been repaved the each of the last two years and I understand that there's more going on this year.

Good luck and I may jion the EWC party at Nelson this year, even though its the weekend after our NEC finale at Watkins Glen.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Free Engines

Steve, I noticed in the new FormulaCar magazine that Ford has committed to providing 10 new 1600 Duratec engines for teams signing up for the Formula Ford Championship in Europe. I would think with your connections at Ford and the other forum members who work there we should be able to get the same deal for the EWC. I think this would ensure us getting a full field!

Liked: 25

Default Ford

I think we all hope that Steve, Dave, Raj and others all have continuing good connections with Ford! I am not sure how much there is in the budgets for racing promotions right now.
    - Frank C

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Amen to that

Good point!

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Can anyone give me a quote from their local source on the price of Hoosier R60's for a CF? I have quotes locally for about $1000 CAD (before the 15% tax) for a set (= ~ $875 USD).

Does this sound right or am I paying a premium to have the Ontario dealer special order them for me (as they are not a stock item).

Just doing some price comparisons. Thanks

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Default Hoosier R60's

Jonathan:

Contact Bob Schaefer or Todd Swift at Frisby Performance Tire: (847)244-7050 or sales@frisbyracetire.com They will be servicing the EWC openers at Grattan in May.

Lola T-540 HU44

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Found all the info on the website - thanks Steve.
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Thread Information