Liked: 0

Default Shimming Flywheel and Adapter

I decided to go through the 1600 motor this winter after running my last event with seriously low oil pressure in the low RPM's. I did the usual bearings and ring replacement following Jakes book for most of it. Unfortunately I did not check the main jounal alignment to the centerline of the block and I think that the previous builder of this motor did not align it properly when it was done. I also found the crankshaft/flywheel face is .002 out of square probably from a flywheel ground strike.

I ask the Apex experts these Questions:

Can I shim the flywheel to make it straight?
    Can I shim the hewland adapter to make the Crank, Input shaft and Layshaft all align?
    I would use spacers between the adapter and the block to make this work. The total misalignment is .05 from top of adapter to bottom
    All suggestions are appriciated

Thanks
    Brian Duncan<br />Indy Region

Liked: 1

I would not shim the flywheel. My car has an adapter problem that wears out the clutch disc hub (knife edges the splines) and the engine builder said to make the adjustments with the adapter.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 0

Default Don't shim anything

No, you can't shim anything in that area! You'll have to disassemble and align bore, and face grind the crank face to square everything up again.

It is very unfortunate that you only now found this, but taking the extra time to make it right will enable you to have a reliable engine in the future.

If the crank really did strike the ground, you'd better replace it. If a fatigue crack forms in the journal, you'll lose the crank and possibly the block too.

Liked: 313

I agree with the above, don't shim anything. I had the hub centers of two clutch discs break their rivets before I figured out it was the adapter ring was egg shaped from ground strikes. I had great luck cutting, forming and rewelding the adapter. A good weld shop should be able to do it. I also got religion on ground strikes and put a BIG skid plate just in front of the adapter ring that bridges from under one frame side tube to under the other frame tube. A side benefit is your starter works better if the ring gear teeth are protected and not all mashed in. And crack check that crank.

Thread Information