Liked: 5

Default How Much Grease?

I have some new bearings that came dry and need to be greased before installing them. How much grease should I put in them (dual angular contact bearing)? Some numbers I have seen are 20-30% of the void area. Does that sound right?
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 27

Doesn't sound right to me. I have always packed em full after washing with kero or something then blow dry.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 123

All I can say is what I do - I pack the bearing around the rollers by pressing the grease in till it's full, then wipe off all the excess.

Brian

Liked: 5

Hmmm, every website has a different opinion on how much, but for high speed ball bearings they all seem to agree that packing them full causes excess drag and the churning of the grease causes heat buildup and can cause premature failure. What is the definition of high speed might be the difference though.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    Hmmm, every website has a different opinion on how much, but for high speed ball bearings they all seem to agree that packing them full causes excess drag and the churning of the grease causes heat buildup and can cause premature failure. What is the definition of high speed might be the difference though.
    I would suggest that the salesman for the bearings is saying not to pack em full! That way he sells more bearings!

Pack them full. If you clean them with any solvent, blow dry, but DO NOT spin the bearing with the blow gun; blow the air at 90 degrees to the bearing. Spinning them WILL damage the bearing.

Put a "blob" of grease in the palm of one hand. Holding the bearing with the other hand, press the side of the bearing against the blob in your hand, slowly rotating the bearing until you have pressed grease out of the cage and around the bearing rollers. Install. I do not wipe off any excess until I have installed the bearing.

Use a high-quality synthetic grease. I use Redline CV2. Great stuff. A high quality grease will create a whole lot less drag than an overheated un-lubricated one!

I like the CV2. It sure is a lot easier to get out from under your nails than the old black moly stuff that stayed there for weeks.

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 15

Too much will be more beneficial than too little...

Excess will find its way out and you can clean that off.

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    I would find a different web site. Pack'em and then wipe. Any "excess" will spin off and most certainly no "churning' will cause heat.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Banned
    Liked: 1116

only as much as necessary to provide the desired operating temperature (given the environment the bearing is in) while producing as little drag as possible.

I know that doesn't help much at all...

Are you looking for a small performance improvement even if it leads to frequent bearing replacement intervals or are you looking for "let's just make sure this thing lasts a long time?"

Thread Information