Liked: 0

Default Help identifying this chassis.

I bought this car a few weeks ago to make it into a autocross car. It originally was a Formula ford but seems to be converted to a sports racer of some kind.Attachment 36204Attachment 36206Attachment 36207Attachment 36208

Ill have better pics in a bit, If anybody can help me figure out what chassis this originally was i would be very grateful.

I know it probably wont help but this is the front end of the sports body

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Probably help if the rest of the body pieces were removed.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by formulasuper View Post
    Probably help if the rest of the body pieces were removed.
    Yeah, i need to get better pictures. The car is in a storage unit right now so i have to go there today and take some more.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1462

Ive never seen anything like that lower front a-arm mount or that funky shock mounting setup (at least on the front of the car, I've seen stuff like that on the back).

that has to be really unique and I'm suer one of the greybeards will know what it is in an instant.

Liked: 2

Default before

I have seen this mistake before and that someone has swapped the right and left lower A arms and this lowers the shock mount.

Wow ill have to look at the suspension again!... i have been rained out from taking everything out of storage to gain access to the car so ill post pics when i can

I found a video of the car back when it was complete...wow, i cant believe that music!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=wj0YP...%3Dwj0YPtWcINs

Liked: 210

The best bet is somebody recognizes that upright.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 1395

My guess is that the car might be a March FF from the early '70's. Or it might be some other attempt to adapt a higher level formula car to FF.

The front suspension attachment is similar to what was common practice for FA/F2 and F3 of that period.

The uprights and brakes are way beyond what would be found on typical FFs. But they would be consistent with wide wheels of the larger formula cars.

Some more pics of the chassis. The number plates are gone and there are no names or numbers embossed anywhere

Contributing Member
    Liked: 107

Default ?

Dulon? Looking at the frame, and the center section along with the orig cast upright? Definately non-stock if it was a Dulon. (half guess, half experience)

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/oth...34676746la.htm

(Look at the center section {hump over right foot} in the provided pictures then the suspension - specifically a-arm construction; NOT shock mounts and chassis design/shape/front hoop/etc along with shift linkage and mount...)

cj
    Last edited by cjahn; 01.14.13 at 5:05 PM. Reason: added reference to sold race-cars....

Liked: 268

Default FF frame

Call Steve at EuroCal in Santa Rosa at 707 579 2244. They bought it and ran it somewhwere.

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by cjahn View Post
    Dulon?
    cj
    +1. Dulon MP 15, owned and ran a customers car for about a decade. My rear uprights were different, had MAXPERENCO cast into them.

It was a decent, if not flexible flyer.

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 3

Dulon Mp17. At least the uprights are 17. They are a horrible design as the come. There's hope however if you're willing to spend the money to do it...of course. Been a few years but I can help you out with about any of that.

The chassis could be 15 however.

Pretty hopeful front brake there too. Vented! None produced that way that I know of. Looking like someones attempt at converting it to a sports racer. Keep in mind that even with all that removed you'll still need to address the issue of a proper front roll hoop and related supports for most clubs. (done all that too- somewhere you'll find images of the 'shop car' from about ten years ago; sadly rather bastardized now )

Back some four years ago it still had a bit of its shine left to it.
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...ighlight=dulon

With a bit of work:

Granted you don't have to go the full F1 70s era air box and all but it looked cool for the time. And you can see DU-1 in front of this car.
    Last edited by Todd TCE; 05.26.13 at 6:44 PM.

Thread Information