Liked: 4

Default Pi System 2 "PiComm"?

Hello,

I got a PI system 2 with my car a year ago and I am finally getting around to trying to actually record some data with the unit. I am however getting an error that I am hoping somebody can shed some light on?

When I set my com 1 to be my download port this message pops up "The PiComm virtual device driver (picomm.386 or picomm.vxd) has not been installed"

Does anybody have a clue what this PiComm driver does or where I can get it? A quick google and apex search returned nothing for me...

Liked: 1395

Start here

Pi Research
    8250 Haverstick Rd, Ste 275, Indianapolis, IN 46240
    Cross Streets: Between Union Chapel Rd and Keystone Xing/Woodfield Crossing Blvd

Liked: 282

I suspect your Windows OS is too new. The Club Expert Windows will only run on WinXP and older I believe.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    I suspect your Windows OS is too new. The Club Expert Windows will only run on WinXP and older I believe.
    I believe you at correct... I am running Windows XP 32 bit for that very reason.

Liked: 2

You need to find those drivers for the download port.. and install them or reinstall them.. which will need to be from a install disk if you have one.

And sometimes you will get this error message with a bad download cable.. I would check with a "known" good download cable from a friend who has the same system.. just to make sure it's not the cable...
    George Main
    SpeedSense consulting

Quote Originally Posted by George Main View Post
    And sometimes you will get this error message with a bad download cable.. I would check with a "known" good download cable from a friend who has the same system.. just to make sure it's not the cable...
    The computer I am using does not have a serial port so I am forced to use USB to serial converter. Could this be my problem?

could be the problem, I know some USB to serial port converters are better than others.. believe Belkin had one of the better ones that worked well...
    I may be wrong but think the difference is how the usb is seen, and whether the drivers get used like it's a serial port.rather than a usb. And at times it may not use comm 1 but rather a different comm port.. you need to see which one it is using.
    You may have to change the setting from comm 1 (in the pi software) to some other comm port number to make it work. By that I mean setting it to what ever the converter is using which may not match the setting in the Pi software...which is probably comm 1
    Last edited by George Main; 04.17.14 at 11:10 PM.
    George Main
    SpeedSense consulting

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

If you dont have a xp machine and have either win 7 or 8.
    If you lap top is big enough, memory cpu power. you could use either Window Virtual PC or VMware to create a virtual XP machine and use that just for your PI system.

Quote Originally Posted by George Main View Post
    could be the problem, I know some USB to serial port converters are better than others.. believe Belkin had one of the better ones that worked well...
    I may be wrong but think the difference is how the usb is seen, and whether the drivers get used like it's a serial port.rather than a usb. And at times it may not use comm 1 but rather a different comm port.. you need to see which one it is using.
    You may have to change the setting from comm 1 (in the pi software) to some other comm port number to make it work. By that I mean setting it to what ever the converter is using which may not match the setting in the Pi software...which is probably comm 1
    Well, I have now tried another download cable and I have searched the original floppies for any kind of file related to this... I also tried re installing the program. No luck.

My next step i think is going to be to locate a laptop with a native serial port and go from there...

Well I got a old Dell Inspiron 7000 with a built in floppy and serial running windows 98. I did get one step further. I am no longer getting a driver issue but I am still not getting a connection with the system.

I am getting the message "Failed to access box"

I somewhat believe that this could be related to the Baud Rate? Does anyone know what the correct setting for this is on a Pi System 2?

I am also a little concerned if this software is compatible with the dash. The software is Version 6 and is what came with the car however not one time do I see System 2 ever mentioned in the manual... The lowest they mention is System 3+ Could this be my issue? It seems doubtful.

Default Pi2 sys

1) Make sure you have an old laptop with a serial port (DB-9) connector (you can get any old laptop from a local refurb. computer store for about $80)
    2) Window 98, 2000, XP are all good OS for the Pi2 sys.
    3) Make sure that your logger Serial number matches the software license file, otherwise it is a NoGo. (If you call Pi research Tom Remedios, he can sell you a license file for about $150).

I had to go through this same process a number of years ago.

Cheers

Thread Information