Thread: safety gear

Liked: 2

Default safety gear

Looking for suggestions on drivers safety gear. I need to get everything. Will be driving a FE car. Most driving will be done in the southwest, so warm weather conditions... How many layer suit, carbon helmet vs others, need for nomex underwear?, and which HANS model, etc.
    Don't mind spending what it takes to get the most protection for the money. Always interested in value, but will not sacrifice for safety. Suggestions on places to buy, also.
    Thanks

Liked: 1100

Any SFI 3.2/5 suit will give you reasonable protection, but underwear will help a lot and there's a big difference between $500 suits and $1500 suits when it comes to how tolerable the underwear will be on a hot day. The $2500 Sparco single-layer is probably even better, but...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Keith at racing-stuff.com can get you a highly rated custom suit. Nomex underwear is good added insurance. Try a phase-change cooling vest from Pegasus. I started out the lightweight way to avoid the heat. Better to have all the protection you can buy. I like my Bell helmet. You may need smaller driving shoes to fit in the foot box. My shoe size is 11 but wear 9's in the car so I can grab one pedal at a time. Enjoy your new ride !!!
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 34

Don't forget to check with one of SCCA's Major sponsors, SafeRacer.

http://www.saferacer.com/

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default On-Line options

Good/Great New gear can be found on sale. EBay often has listings for Pyrotect ( their close outs/returned items. JEGS sometimes has slighly shopworn gear - tried on not bought, at a deep discount. Maybe e these arclose-out or discontinued - but if you're the right size - you can save a bundle. Speedway Motors has a close out on now. $1000+ AlpineStars Suits for under $400. Similar deals on shoes, Nomex undergarments, balaclavas, gloves and helmets. Maybe worth some window shopping, but discontinued items have a NO Return Policy. No, not associated, just got their flier today. Best of luck! Cheers - Jim

Liked: 10

Give John Ruther at Northstar Motorsports (www.NorthstarMotorsports.com) a call. He will guide you in the right direction.

Feff

Liked: 586

you don't need a carbon fiber helmet - a carbon/Kevlar will do just fine - I like my Impact Draft - too many wear helmets a little too large IMHO - don't stick your hands on the helmet while you're wearing it and try to turn it back and forth - have someone hold the helmet while you've got it on and try turning your head back and forth inside - you may wish to add a little fill [1/2 inch or 1 inch] to the cheek pads when your helmet is made

Liked: 1100

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    you don't need a carbon fiber helmet - a carbon/Kevlar will do just fine - I like my Impact Draft - too many wear helmets a little too large IMHO - don't stick your hands on the helmet while you're wearing it and try to turn it back and forth - have someone hold the helmet while you've got it on and try turning your head back and forth inside - you may wish to add a little fill [1/2 inch or 1 inch] to the cheek pads when your helmet is made
    As long as it meets the SA2010 spec, I say the fit of the helmet is far more important than the construction.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Thread Information