Liked: 0

Default Help save proposed formula one race in austin, tx sign petit

HELP SAVE PROPOSED FORMULA ONE RACE IN AUSTIN, TX SIGN PETITION NOW:

Tomorrow 6/23, Austin City Council will vote on tax issues that will mean the difference between hosting the F1 US GP or not. The Circuit of The Americas may not be built if there is not enough support for it.

Please sign the petition then we can work on getting a FM race at the F1 race. http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/supportusgpracing/

Racing in the United States needs your support!

Thank you.

Tara Wilson
    Moses Smith Racing
    Texas Autosports
    Formula Mazda

Liked: 126

As much as I love racing and support the venues, if any tax money is placed towards this event, then I am against it.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Sounds fishy. Seems like they are awfully far along in planning and construction for this to be a deal-breaker.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 1426

Note the disclaimer for the email address. Me thinks this is a cleverly disguised way to get an email list for sales/marketing reasons. I don't think Moses Smith Racing is behind it, just trying to help what is assumed to be a honest cause.

Contributing Member

I doubt an online petition will mean squat to the Austin City COuncil, but there are some real issues being discussed:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...n=awdailydrive
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 9

Default Those pesky details

I doubt an online petition will mean squat to the Austin City COuncil, but there are some real issues being discussed
    Yeah, the real issues have very expensive and far reaching consequences to the quality of life for folks out there in SE Austin. These issues make the $25 million per year pale in comparison and have nothing to do with racing.

If Tavo and his backers have staying power, they will get there, just not in 2012. Still predicting 2016.

Yes, I'm still Curmudgeon Central about this, thanks to 35 years in public works projects. Not that I like it............just sayin'.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Idlof View Post
    Yeah, the real issues have very expensive and far reaching consequences to the quality of life for folks out there in SE Austin. These issues make the $25 million per year pale in comparison and have nothing to do with racing.

If Tavo and his backers have staying power, they will get there, just not in 2012. Still predicting 2016.

Yes, I'm still Curmudgeon Central about this, thanks to 35 years in public works projects. Not that I like it............just sayin'.
    This isn't a public works project, I have done both public and private projects (23 years now) and public projects can get done fast if the money is in place. The toll roads went in very quickly because they were fully funded from bonds and there was a desire to get them making money as fast as possible. Everything that I have ever worked on in California seemed to take twice as long as it should have elsewhere and had more red tape than anyone could ever imagine, I can understand why that could affect your judgment, I know that it would mine for any work done out there. It's just that I have seen some projects get done much quicker than I ever expected, it seems like we only have two types of projects down here anymore, fast track and super fast track.

This is privately funded and a very large incentive is in place to get it done on time. This is located in pretty rural area, outside of the City of Austin. Since that is the case there is a much lower threshold of permitting to deal with which speeds along the project, plus the fact they were much further along than was let onto at the announcement. More cows will be disturbed than people by the activities out there.

Default Welcome, let's set a spell...........

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    This isn't a public works project, I have done both public and private projects (23 years now) and public projects can get done fast if the money is in place. The toll roads went in very quickly because they were fully funded from bonds and there was a desire to get them making money as fast as possible. Everything that I have ever worked on in California seemed to take twice as long as it should have elsewhere and had more red tape than anyone could ever imagine, I can understand why that could affect your judgment, I know that it would mine for any work done out there. It's just that I have seen some projects get done much quicker than I ever expected, it seems like we only have two types of projects down here anymore, fast track and super fast track.

This is privately funded and a very large incentive is in place to get it done on time. This is located in pretty rural area, outside of the City of Austin. Since that is the case there is a much lower threshold of permitting to deal with which speeds along the project, plus the fact they were much further along than was let onto at the announcement. More cows will be disturbed than people by the activities out there.
    [FONT=Monaco]You’re new around these parts, ain’t ya stranger? Don’t recall seeing your brand on the original Austin threads, but maybe you were. Well whatever, I’m glad you’re here to set me straight and help me out by answering some construction management type questions. Here, let me pour you a whiskey. [/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]First, what’s your take, that this race is in the bag and you have inside PM 411 that it is? Or just pointing out that this is Texas; that anything is possible in Texas and nobody gets ‘er done like a Texan? Just wondering. [/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]And I’m curious where you’re coming from in the project management world and if you aren’t part Dilbert looking for things to worry about. As a PM, I get paid to worry about things going sideways, but maybe that’s just me or the way that non-Texans look at management? Which explains why I don’t make much of a distinction between whether it’s public or private. Sure it’s private by definition, but from my PM POV it’s needing or impacting a substantial amount of public infrastructure and is therefore subject to public input and review. It’s not just a Walmart going in on a vacant lot in town. And of course, it’s way too early to rule out a lawsuit or 5. But on to real progress questions. [/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]My first thought is, the clock is ticking. So how are they doing with construction? As a PM who knows that press releases (not many yet) are sugar coated BS, how do you know where they are? How much have they spent and how does that compare to the construction schedule’s cash flow curve? What other project management proof is there that they are on schedule or will get back on schedule? [/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]What about the budget? They said $250 million, but do you believe that? How was the bid structured? Unless this thing was under the radar for months before the announcements, we know that the design was not complete and a fixed price bid was not possible. So, it’s a design-build/phased type construction contract, isn’t it? Lots of contingency needed, no? [/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]Roads. What’s the progress there? Last I heard, no construction has started, so I assume they’re hopefully at final design and that the dreaded, critical path right of way acquisition is well underway? In your opinion, how adequately will they address that need, or will a lengthy traffic jam be just fine with the County and State DOT? Of course, whatever existing utility relocation or dry utility planning/work in the public R/W is needed is already under way, right? [/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]Rainy season. Are stormwater controls unchanged from the ‘90’s? So they’ll work through rain just as easily as dry weather? Or………..do you actually get better productivity simply because it’s cooler? Pardon me, but I gotta have a little fun here. I’ll bet the average laborer probably thinks BMP means “buff my pickle.” [/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]But seriously, I’m looking for details and local insight that will explain why this construction project has a high probability of getting done on time. We’ll leave conjecture about the “Bernie/F-1 political/non-construction bombs” for another time. [/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]OK enough of that, time to take off my big hat, chill out and watch some Austin City Limits. Yeah, not a bad idea; Robert Earl Keen’s on. [/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]Looking forward to the dialog. [/FONT]
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

In the Austin paper over the weekend.

Statesman.com - Judge denies F1 opponents' bid to halt state subsidy

You’re new around these parts, ain’t ya stranger? Don’t recall seeing your brand on the original Austin threads, but maybe you were. Well whatever, I’m glad you’re here to set me straight and help me out by answering some construction management type questions. Here, let me pour you a whiskey.

First, what’s your take, that this race is in the bag and you have inside PM 411 that it is? Or just pointing out that this is Texas; that anything is possible in Texas and nobody gets ‘er done like a Texan? Just wondering.
    For one thing...I am no Texan, I'm an Okie that lives in Texas.

I have posted in some other threads about the Austin track and had some car questions in other topics. I am an infrequent visitor and check out the classifieds every so often just in case I run across a car that might hit at the right time. Still searching for that first race car. I am on architecture side of things, for almost 23 years now. I grew up in the business, my father was a civil engineer, we worked at the same large firm (that has since been bought by a California company), he retired after 34.5 years and I was there for 11 years total. We did large public and private projects, my father was mainly highways and I did mainly industrial process/food & beverage and DoD/GSA projects.

I just know that through previous experience that things can get done in a hurry if there is enough incentive and money to make that incentive worthwhile. McCombs and some of the other not so public financial partners have the requisite resources to make it happen. I also know through working on large public projects just how things can get bogged down due to bureaucracy, this project has high level officials at the state behind it and the state tends to dominate and override local politics in many cases. The project is also outside of the direct control of the City of Austin, which can be a hindrance at times, I know that I have butted heads with them on different issues on different projects. I have still never faced the scrutiny on projects here that I have faced doing (private) projects in California, the public projects that I have done in California were all Department of Defense projects so they kind of ran the show and didn't have as many city issues to deal with. The property is part of the City of Austin ETJ (Extraterritorial Jurisdiction) which gives them a very limited review over some items but the main purpose in the ETJ is for future annexation which has already been mentioned by some in the city council.

And I’m curious where you’re coming from in the project management world and if you aren’t part Dilbert looking for things to worry about. As a PM, I get paid to worry about things going sideways, but maybe that’s just me or the way that non-Texans look at management? Which explains why I don’t make much of a distinction between whether it’s public or private. Sure it’s private by definition, but from my PM POV it’s needing or impacting a substantial amount of public infrastructure and is therefore subject to public input and review. It’s not just a Walmart going in on a vacant lot in town. And of course, it’s way too early to rule out a lawsuit or 5. But on to real progress questions.
    It is in rural Travis County and area that has pretty much been neglected for its entire history. Pretty much the access road in issues have been resolved at the county level with the track funding part of the expansion. This is the largest single investment in that quarter outside of when the airport was moved to the closed Bergstrom Air Force Base. For the most part the people out there are in favor of it, some see it as a lessor evil than the housing development that was floated out there before this project.

My first thought is, the clock is ticking. So how are they doing with construction? As a PM who knows that press releases (not many yet) are sugar coated BS, how do you know where they are? How much have they spent and how does that compare to the construction schedule’s cash flow curve? What other project management proof is there that they are on schedule or will get back on schedule?
    What about the budget? They said $250 million, but do you believe that? How was the bid structured? Unless this thing was under the radar for months before the announcements, we know that the design was not complete and a fixed price bid was not possible. So, it’s a design-build/phased type construction contract, isn’t it? Lots of contingency needed, no?
    I have friends who work for the architecture firms doing the building side of things, I know some of the civil and MEP engineers working on the project through other projects where they were our consultants. That is where much of my information is coming from, I know of no one that works in the COTA organization themselves. For the most part all the buildings will be built concurrently, just like the design has been done, there are multiple architecture/engineering firms handling different aspects of the project and those that I know on those teams are confident that the project will come in on time. In most cases they feel like they are a bit ahead of schedule, foundations are being prepared.
    When it comes to the money, I have no idea other than McCombs and partners have the cash on hand to handle the requirements of the project through completion for the entire project. I heard similar reservations about the new skyscraper going up in Downtown Oklahoma City that Devon Energy is building. It is an owner-occupied, 850 foot tower priced at $750 million, someone looked at their financials at the time of announcement (August 2008) and determined that was about 3 weeks of earnings for Devon and they stated they basically had the cash on hand for the entire project before announcing it. They started subgrade construction in early 2010 and expect to move in late 2012, they are a few floors from topping it out.

It is a design/build project and from my understanding a contractor has been on board from the schematic design phase to asses both cost, time line and construction ability. There have also been buildings and amenities added since the initial announcement, I would imagine something closer $400 million is a more realistic budget number now.

Roads. What’s the progress there? Last I heard, no construction has started, so I assume they’re hopefully at final design and that the dreaded, critical path right of way acquisition is well underway? In your opinion, how adequately will they address that need, or will a lengthy traffic jam be just fine with the County and State DOT? Of course, whatever existing utility relocation or dry utility planning/work in the public R/W is needed is already under way, right?
    As stated above they have that sorted out with the county now, some of the ROW extending from 130 was already in place and I think much along 812 was already done prior since it was a county road that was designated to be a major connection to TX 130. Utility relocation is not that big of an issue in that area, the big one was a pipeline crossing the property and that was taken care of prior to track construction. Many of the the environmental concessions to the City of Austin were about on-site parking limitations and using shuttles in/out of the facility. After a short time I would imagine there will be talk of extending the light rail out to the airport and track.

Rainy season. Are stormwater controls unchanged from the ‘90’s? So they’ll work through rain just as easily as dry weather? Or………..do you actually get better productivity simply because it’s cooler? Pardon me, but I gotta have a little fun here. I’ll bet the average laborer probably thinks BMP means “buff my pickle.”
    We are in the middle of a year and a half long drought and have received very little rainfall, of the eight years that I have lived here we have had two of what I would call "rainy seasons" and that is in April to May. The last drought was 2.5 years and was broken by a month of floods (in the spring months) but we have been dry since. Most of the time we get a few days of storms and then it's dry for two months. I do know that to get approval for the project a SWPPP had to be submitted to both the Texas DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) and the City of Austin, that is one of the few areas where the CoA has some jurisdiction but they almost always defer to the DEQ in regards to stormwater.

But seriously, I’m looking for details and local insight that will explain why this construction project has a high probability of getting done on time. We’ll leave conjecture about the “Bernie/F-1 political/non-construction bombs” for another time.
    I just feel with the money people and state officials involved to the level they are, it will get done. With the penalties out there for not making the date, I think they will throw enough money at it to make sure it gets done on time. Most of the major governmental hurdles have been cleared....and with Bernie, only Bernie knows what he will do and half time I am not so sure that even he does.

OK enough of that, time to take off my big hat, chill out and watch some Austin City Limits. Yeah, not a bad idea; Robert Earl Keen’s on.

Looking forward to the dialog.
    REK plays here somewhere in town on an average of once a month, not too hard to catch a show of his. Maybe he will be playing on the race weekend...I'll buy a few adult beverages.

Liked: 126

A $25M subsidy from the taxpayers of the state of TX for this is an abomination.

Liked: 146

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    A $25M subsidy from the taxpayers of the state of TX for this is an abomination.
    +1.

US taxpayer money used to satisfy that sleazeball Bernie...infuriating. You know it will never be enough.

I'm a life long Packers season ticket holder who has been coughing up .5% to them every time I buy a loaf ot bread for 11 years now, with no end in sight. Haven't been to a game since it passed.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 68

Perhaps, but it's not appreciably different from the taxpayer subsidies used for major sporting events everywhere in the US. Care to place a wager on the percentage of stadiums that had a least a portion of their financing from the public coffers? I think it's been that way since the Roman Colosseum was constructed....

I guess that from my perspective - knowing that we aren't likely to do away with bloated government spending on pork-barrel projects - I would prefer to see our money go to racing than yet another stick-and-ball stadium.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Contributing Member

While I don't completely disagree given the reality of public spending, that's the classic scenario that perpetuates pork-barrel spending: I'll let you sidle up to the trough as long as there is enough room for my snout.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

The Major Events Trust Fund is setup a little different, it is basically setup as a reimbursement fund in which the taxes received during the duration of the event replenishes the trust fund, so the net effect is the trust fund should grow if the event does well. The intial payment may be $25 million but after the event there is an audit done assessing the economic impact of the event and if they event audit determines the impact was less than estimated the payment can be reduced. Which for this event being a 10 year, recurring event unlike Superbowls and such they could reduce the state commitment in future years and reclaim the funds that were paid out in the initial year. So while it is "public monies" it is based on taking in more tax revenue than paid out so in some ways it is different than other subsidies that just get money for the sake of getting money.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    While I don't completely disagree given the reality of public spending, that's the classic scenario that perpetuates pork-barrel spending: I'll let you sidle up to the trough as long as there is enough room for my snout.
    That will never change until there is a revolution, which means that I am doubtful that something like that will occur in my lifetime as most of the populace are content with the way things are. Business buy legislation, that has been a fact for much longer than any of us have been alive and I have no doubts that it will ever change, so it really is "get yours while you can" because things aren't going to change no matter who is elected to office because it's the bureaucrats who are not subjected to the whims of the voters who actually run the government. Politicians have seen what happens when they take a stand on issues at the "expense" of their districts, they typically get voted out of office. That would seem to indicate the majority are satisfied with the status quo.

Taking a stand on one issue will never fix the whole problem, someone who is against the F1 subsidy should be against any subsidy, sports related or not. The two on the city council who voted against the endorsement would have been for the subsidy if it was going to one of their pet causes, to say they voted that way because of ideals is just a lie as the one who has been in office a couple of years have voted in favor of subsidies for her agenda items. Just like the group that sued to stop the payment, they weren't interested in anything like reducing taxes, they were interested in redirecting those funds already set aside for one purpose to their own cause. Much like the rep from the Houston area who was in favor of all the payments that the Houston area has received over the years for their major events (Superbowl, MLB and NBA All-Star Games and NCAA Final Fours) which totals more than the combined payouts to other cities. All of a sudden he was against it this session where I would pretty guarantee that if the Houston area was hosting this event he was have said nothing.

Businesses will seek out "free money" as long as it is handed out, until all the cities, states and the feds stop handing it out we are stuck in the current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The Major Events Trust Fund is setup a little different, it is basically setup as a reimbursement fund in which the taxes received during the duration of the event replenishes the trust fund, so the net effect is the trust fund should grow if the event does well. The intial payment may be $25 million but after the event there is an audit done assessing the economic impact of the event and if they event audit determines the impact was less than estimated the payment can be reduced. Which for this event being a 10 year, recurring event unlike Superbowls and such they could reduce the state commitment in future years and reclaim the funds that were paid out in the initial year. So while it is "public monies" it is based on taking in more tax revenue than paid out so in some ways it is different than other subsidies that just get money for the sake of getting money.
    Really? Many of us are convinced that these numbers are pulled from thin air and presented to government fathers to get their subsidy. So they will reduce the $25 mil if the "revenue" is not up to snuff? How long will they have a race if they do not pay the full fee?

BTW folks this is purely the SANCTIONING FEE. Essentially for the next 10 years every man, woman and child in TX will contribute $1 to a new wing on one of Bernie's villas. What an outrage.

That will never change until there is a revolution, which means that I am doubtful that something like that will occur in my lifetime as most of the populace are content with the way things are. Business buy legislation, that has been a fact for much longer than any of us have been alive and I have no doubts that it will ever change, so it really is "get yours while you can" because things aren't going to change no matter who is elected to office because it's the bureaucrats who are not subjected to the whims of the voters who actually run the government. Politicians have seen what happens when they take a stand on issues at the "expense" of their districts, they typically get voted out of office. That would seem to indicate the majority are satisfied with the status quo.

Taking a stand on one issue will never fix the whole problem, someone who is against the F1 subsidy should be against any subsidy, sports related or not. The two on the city council who voted against the endorsement would have been for the subsidy if it was going to one of their pet causes, to say they voted that way because of ideals is just a lie as the one who has been in office a couple of years have voted in favor of subsidies for her agenda items. Just like the group that sued to stop the payment, they weren't interested in anything like reducing taxes, they were interested in redirecting those funds already set aside for one purpose to their own cause. Much like the rep from the Houston area who was in favor of all the payments that the Houston area has received over the years for their major events (Superbowl, MLB and NBA All-Star Games and NCAA Final Fours) which totals more than the combined payouts to other cities. All of a sudden he was against it this session where I would pretty guarantee that if the Houston area was hosting this event he was have said nothing.

Businesses will seek out "free money" as long as it is handed out, until all the cities, states and the feds stop handing it out we are stuck in the current situation.
    So...the system is collapsing our way of life, so why not get an F1 race out of it? One question...how would this hold up to a statewide referendum?
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Default Money and Power; how much is enough.......

[FONT=Verdana]Blue dog, thanks for the complete and considered response. I now understand where your confidence lies and I hope you’re right. We’ll know after the race is over and Bernie says “good job, we’ll be back”. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I find it interesting and significant that you’re an architect and I’m an engineer (road/bridge PM for the past 20 years). From my perspective and time at CH2M Hill and URS, architects and engineers see the world thru different prisms. We should be like brothers but often we’re more like cousins and sometimes like the Hatfields and McCoys. I’m sure you’ve had some fun at engineers’ expense before, huh? [/FONT]

I just know that through previous experience that things can get done in a hurry if there is enough incentive and money to make that incentive worthwhile. McCombs and some of the other not so public financial partners have the requisite resources to make it happen......

When it comes to the money, I have no idea other than McCombs and partners have the cash on hand to handle the requirements of the project through completion for the entire project......
    So, first off, since you speak my language, I’ll accept that you have local knowledge and specifics that I do not and that your confidence in the deep pockets is the foundation for this project’s success. I can accept that’s possible, but you’ll understand our outsider’s skepticism since there has been some epic fails in the development arena not only around the country but around the world. And since the first thing we heard about Tavo was he loves racing and knows Bernie…… well c’mon, that doesn’t exactly instill confidence, now does it? And the lack of PR is unusual, wouldn’t you say? It seems like there should be more sugar coated press releases and when there’s not, it begs the question; did he learn something from Peter Windsor and doesn’t want to expose his weakness. But, maybe not………just maybe, these guys are different and will under-promise and over-deliver. Very rare in today’s world, but god, what a breath of fresh air if that were true.

I also know through working on large public projects just how things can get bogged down due to bureaucracy, this project has high level officials at the state behind it and the state tends to dominate and override local politics in many cases.
    Again confidence in deep pockets; of the political influence kind. A good point, as I appreciate the power of politics and benefitted from it during the most recent boom years. Permitting and bureaucracy was a major question 6-8 months but apparently the influence and money has been sufficient to squash the typical midlevel regulators who want to ask hard questions and make a name for themselves. Money and power; yep, indisputable.

I have friends who work………………………
    The first inside information I’ve heard from locals so far.

It is a design/build project and from my understanding a contractor has been on board from the schematic design phase to asses both cost, time line and construction ability. There have also been buildings and amenities added since the initial announcement, I would imagine something closer $400 million is a more realistic budget number now.
    [FONT=Verdana]Yep, contractors can do amazing things if they're making money and don't have to continually dicker over change orders. And the good news is that bid prices are still rock bottom, so $400 mill sounds good. I pulled $500 mill out of the air about a year ago, because a factor of 2 was a nice round number. But we all count our money differently, so depending on who he wants to impress for what reasons, I think Tavo will be heard quoting a bottom line anywhere from $280 million to $780 million. [/FONT]

We are in the middle of a year and a half long drought and have received very little rainfall,…………. ……… I do know that to get approval for the project a SWPPP had to be submitted......
    As you no doubt are aware, erosion and sediment control are a costly BFD in California projects. But would I be wrong to think that the NPDES and stormwater regs will be laughably “irrelevant” in this project if not all of Texas?

And as for simply bogging down the scrapers, graders and rollers, hopefully the rains will hold off until the project is out of the ground and the structures are on the critical path.

I just feel with the money people and state officials involved to the level they are, it will get done. With the penalties out there for not making the date, I think they will throw enough money at it to make sure it gets done on time.
    [FONT=Verdana]As we all know, Murphy’s Law (including lawsuits) is always the joker in the deck. But hopefully that also becomes a moot point and the political and financial hammer will be wielded unmercifully when it pops up. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]So, is it safe to say that the architects, engineers, equipment operators and other mere mortals have the tools and are doing everything within their control? And that only Bernie can make it or break it from here on out? [/FONT]

We'll see what the rowdies in Curmudgeon Central have to say now.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

[FONT=Verdana]Blue dog, thanks for the complete and considered response. I now understand where your confidence lies and I hope you’re right. We’ll know after the race is over and Bernie says “good job, we’ll be back”. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I find it interesting and significant that you’re an architect and I’m an engineer (road/bridge PM for the past 20 years). From my perspective and time at CH2M Hill and URS, architects and engineers see the world thru different prisms. We should be like brothers but often we’re more like cousins and sometimes like the Hatfields and McCoys. I’m sure you’ve had some fun at engineers’ expense before, huh? [/FONT]
    My father was the PM on some highway projects in Oklahoma, he HATED the PM role and much preferred the "behind the scenes" PE role, he was never much for the dog and pony shows.

So, first off, since you speak my language, I’ll accept that you have local knowledge and specifics that I do not and that your confidence in the deep pockets is the foundation for this project’s success. I can accept that’s possible, but you’ll understand our outsider’s skepticism since there has been some epic fails in the development arena not only around the country but around the world. And since the first thing we heard about Tavo was he loves racing and knows Bernie…… well c’mon, that doesn’t exactly instill confidence, now does it? And the lack of PR is unusual, wouldn’t you say? It seems like there should be more sugar coated press releases and when there’s not, it begs the question; did he learn something from Peter Windsor and doesn’t want to expose his weakness. But, maybe not………just maybe, these guys are different and will under-promise and over-deliver. Very rare in today’s world, but god, what a breath of fresh air if that were true.
    A friend of mine "kind of knows" Tavo from their days growing up in the same neighborhood here in Austin, they weren't close friends (a few years apart) but knew each other and he stated that Tavo has more of his mother's personality, much more low key than his fathers, the former race promoter personality. I think he much prefers to operate behind the scenes and not out in the open and the reason why it was a pretty well kept secret until Bernie spilled the beans last year. I know that I was shocked by the announcement but some others knew there something going on but couldn't say anything.

Again confidence in deep pockets; of the political influence kind. A good point, as I appreciate the power of politics and benefitted from it during the most recent boom years. Permitting and bureaucracy was a major question 6-8 months but apparently the influence and money has been sufficient to squash the typical midlevel regulators who want to ask hard questions and make a name for themselves. Money and power; yep, indisputable.
    The fact that it is in an area that has limited City of Austin review is the key element, county review for most projects has always been minimal. I have done a few in the ETJ and it amazes me how little procedure and review there is by the county.

[FONT=Verdana]Yep, contractors can do amazing things if they're making money and don't have to continually dicker over change orders. And the good news is that bid prices are still rock bottom, so $400 mill sounds good. I pulled $500 mill out of the air about a year ago, because a factor of 2 was a nice round number. But we all count our money differently, so depending on who he wants to impress for what reasons, I think Tavo will be heard quoting a bottom line anywhere from $280 million to $780 million.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    [/FONT]
    I think they realize expediency is worth more than quibbling over pennies (to them, not us). I also think with the GC on board throughout the design phase they have been able to contain costs during the design process. It is much easier to get feedback and design it once, in budget, than what I have been going through on another project where we hear nothing from the contractor until they are supposed to start construction and find out that they never seemed to look at the interim drawings and quantities for the past six months and then expect to VE the project based on the fact they didn't price what was in the drawings.

As you no doubt are aware, erosion and sediment control are a costly BFD in California projects. But would I be wrong to think that the NPDES and stormwater regs will be laughably “irrelevant” in this project if not all of Texas?

And as for simply bogging down the scrapers, graders and rollers, hopefully the rains will hold off until the project is out of the ground and the structures are on the critical path.
    I have never faced the level of scrutiny on any project over environmental concerns like I did in California, it is just really a different world out there. What they face here in Texas (and most other states where I have done projects) is minimal compared to what I went through in your neck of the woods.

Our "rainy season" if it happens will be next spring, we get a high pressure system stuck over us for months on end and it sends every storm north of Waco it seems. If the normal pattern holds true I think they will be at interior finish out phase for the most part for the buildings. They have been doing the base work for the track for a month or so now, so the base and first layers of asphalt should be in place before the heavy rains may come. A hurricane coming over the top of us will more than likely be the only chance we have at significant rain until the winter and most of those have missed us in recent years.

[FONT=Verdana]As we all know, Murphy’s Law (including lawsuits) is always the joker in the deck. But hopefully that also becomes a moot point and the political and financial hammer will be wielded unmercifully when it pops up. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]So, is it safe to say that the architects, engineers, equipment operators and other mere mortals have the tools and are doing everything within their control? And that only Bernie can make it or break it from here on out? [/FONT]
    I think most lawsuits will not pass muster at this point, the one concerning the METF payment was the most significant one but once the Austin City Council endorsed the race it was pretty much nullified and the reason why it was dismissed. Since it is privately funded the avenues for an injunction are greatly reduced. The City of Austin has no (direct) financial commitment to protest, the track and county are sharing the cost of the road widening and having driven that road in the past it needed work long before the track was announced.

I think with the commitments they have from other series and interest from ones that have not announced races yet that the track will get done regardless of what Bernie does. I think they feel they are already too far down the road to completely stop it all at this point.

Contributing Member

Default Update -- now hosting Australia V8 Supercars

V8 Supercars coming to Circuit of the Americas

http://assets.circuitoftheamericas.c...se_063011a.pdf

Here is a time lapse video of June construction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUVmX4lF2bg

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default bring back The Bog

F1 at The Glen!

Liked: 319

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    F1 at The Glen!
    Is there a provision in the Austin complex for a bog?

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Well I'd say

they managed to pull it off!

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

looked great on tv

Contributing Member

Default Almost beyond belief

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    they managed to pull it off!

And man oh man, was it a world class event at a world class circuit. You all should have been there.

The facility is the best I've seen ANYWHERE, including Silverstone, Paul Ricard, or any of the others. I never thought I'd say that I LIKE a Tilke track but I LOVE this one!

Even though I moved from Austin to Denver a year ago (got to the point where we just didn't want to put up with 8 months of summer anymore) and wasn't able to go to the race this year (in the process of buying a house, closing right after the new year) I am proud of my former home city of nine years for being able to get it done in such an outstanding fashion. We quit shuttling between Denver and Austin when we sold our house in South Austin in May. We definitely have plans on heading back for a few events next year to watch some races and visit friends.

What was more interesting was how much some of my non-racing fan former co-workers enjoyed themselves and how positive the response was from them. Most are interested now in going to other events out there along with returning next year and these were people (mostly females) who have had no interest at in racing. In fact most them never understood my level of excitement when tit was announced, they had said they understand it now.

Default the best $50 bet I ever lost

It was really something, especially if you listened to Varsha's partial summary of all the hurdles that had to be overcome.

It's one thing for this project to be completed on the aggressive schedule, especially since it was pronounced DOA more than once, but for every detail to be addressed so completely, right down to cowboy hats on the podium, that's world class.

Thanks bluedog for providing the inside story in the early stages of development. That probably saved me from betting $1000.

And in case anyone's wondering, Curmudgeon Central is alive and well.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Contributing Member
    Liked: 289

It will be interesting to see if the race qualifies for the $25m payment from the state of Texas. They have to prove that tax revenues increased to the tune of $25m from last weekends activities to receive the money. They are not going to be profitable without the state money.

Brian

Contributing Member

the event and venue was so much better than anticipated. General comment was that "we expected a nice track - but we are at a world class, maybe best in the world track"
    One thing that i don't think has been mentioned - the people that were working at the event - directing the crowd, seating, answering questions - were not only numerous, they were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Lost count of the number of times i walked near a worker and they smiled and said - good morning sir, having a nice time? or something like that. Never had that experience at a race track - anywhere.
    And if you didn't make it, and own a race car - better mark the March National in your calendar now, save the pennies, and schedule time off.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the race qualifies for the $25m payment from the state of Texas. They have to prove that tax revenues increased to the tune of $25m from last weekends activities to receive the money. They are not going to be profitable without the state money.

Brian
    I THOUGHT(?)--They will be reimbursed the amount the state's study says they brought in, so it might be all of it, or some of it, or most of it. Sounds like a rare common-sense government program. It would take about 300 bucks a head that showed up to get it all.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Thread Information