Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: FV Disc Brakes

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    It seems like the off season has officially begun.
    And just think, it's still October.

Classes evolve. That's all there is to it. Think of what FV was in the 1970s compared to now. Yes, there was not a major overhaul of the class, but some changes happened. Discussing & trying to sort out the whys & why nots is a good thing. Changing to discs should not be as big of a deal as it's being turned into. IF DONE RIGHT (and that seems to be the hangup), there would be an adjustment period, but it would work out in the end just fine.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    You may pretend the fst has won,
    Huh? I am not pretending FST has won. I only stated that the FST parts package has clearly won as far as ("Cost, maintenance ease longevity, parts availability, size, weight and more")

but all your excuses or reasons can not change the fact that your numbers have not.
    I made no excuses. FST is what it is. I did not say FST will be the future. That will depend upon what the SCCA does.

Blaming the failure of your class on another is just not reasonable. You started out trying to replace FV, failure. Then you went to, we want to be a stand alone class, failure.
    Wrong on every point and if you go back and read any of our concept documents you would know that. First of all, I wouldn't call FST a failure. You might want to check the history and participation numbers. (Not bad considering we only promoted in one region with lack of support from ANYONE including the SCCA. The vast majority of our drivers were new entries with either no racing or been inactive for a long time. AND we started in a large economic downturn. We NEVER tried to replace FV. We started as out own class but set out rules package up so that conversion for FV would be as easy as possible. (About 1/2 our fields are converted FV's.) I have voted against almost every suggested change to FV. Leave it as it is except for those almost mandatory issues like parts shortages. So where was I trying to convert FV? We ALWAYS wanted to be a stand alone class.

Now that is the number you need,
    As I said, make it a National class and see what happens. But that is the catch 22.

rather than this silly blame game, of comparison.
    "Silly" ? What is silly, is you saying I (we) are blaming FV for a non-existent "failure".

No one is blaming FV.

BTW, just for fun... Why DO YOU think FST has not taken off in larger numbers and become a National Class ?
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Liked: 302

BTW, just for fun... Why DO YOU think FST has not taken off in larger numbers and become a National Class ?
    The catch 22 - it needs to be a nat class to take off in numbers...

MHO, YMMV,

Barry

Liked: 58

Default That wasn't my point, was it yours?

You may pretend the fst has won, .
    Everytime I go to the track with reduced operating costs and a great bunch of folks to run with I've won. That's what's important to me.

My post was about pointing out that ease of construction and service are an issue for newbies. If FV wants to encourage new teams to join that might be something to look at.

I'm off to Gateway.....

Doug FST 5

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    As I recall, for a number of years, the FST guys were adamant that they did not want National class status, and actively campaigned to avoid it. Has that changed?
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 118

You may pretend the fst has won, but all your excuses or reasons can not change the fact that your numbers have not. That in a nut shell is the only number that counts. Blaming the failure of your class on another is just not reasonable. You started out trying to replace FV, failure. Then you went to, we want to be a stand alone class, failure. Now you have come full circle, trying something again and expecting a different result. What is the definition of that?
    The FV class has been said to be dying since I have been involved, that was in 1983. Nationally it was the third highest participated group at this years Runoff. Now that is the number you need, rather than this silly blame game, of comparison. You lost that. When or if you ever achieve those same numbers, you can start your blame game anew.
    You know what they say, people who are very defensive are usually very insecure.

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sharp View Post
    You know what they say, people who are very defensive are usually very insecure.

Funny, quite amusing, to think you are attempting to turn the tables from what is obviously a defense of the what is the definition of insanity. You admit your insecurity.

Liked: 118

Funny, quite amusing, to think you are attempting to turn the tables from what is obviously a defense of the what is the definition of insanity. You admit your insecurity.

Is it me, or is this guy not making any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    As I recall, for a number of years, the FST guys were adamant that they did not want National class status, and actively campaigned to avoid it. Has that changed?
    In the beginning we raced as FS. This is a regional class and gave us the flexibility to build our rules as we needed. Also we just wanted to race. None of us had plans to spend thousands of dollars to win the runoffs so that an F1 team would draft us.. .

It worked well for us. We implemented our own rules and had the flexibility to modify on the fly. Now as I pointed out (and Bruce agrees with). A National class status is needed for growth. Many of us now are supportive of that. (Some are not. Since it would give much greater control of the package to the SCCA. I am on the fence. ). Contrary to some peoples opinion, I think we are pretty successfull now. We have our own officers that make excellent arrangements with al)l our race officials. (What group, split start, what groups we race with etc. We are specificcaly contacted by multiple regions and sanctiing bodies asking us to run with them. And have been treated quite well. We are a REGIONAL class with several significant contingency sponsors. I would hardly call that a failure.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Quote Originally Posted by Doug FST 5 View Post
    Everytime I go to the track with reduced operating costs and a great bunch of folks to run with I've won.
    Oh sure, but without the run offs you will never make F1.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Contributing Member
    Liked: 289

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    with). A National class status is needed for growth.
    With the push for class reduction, you are dreaming.

Why don't you guys continue your blistering growth pace and get your participation numbers up to something that is worthy of consideration.

Brian

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 93

Brian, You continue to surprise me. Can you try and say something positive about anything.....

There must be something, Please.....

Why do you even care?
    Scott

Liked: 36

We all love each other in F1200...cmon up to Ontario to race

Liked: 174

I thought this topic was about FV Disc Brakes??

Mark

Liked: 190

Default Topic meandering

Mark,

Yes it was... Key word being "was".

This thread started (1 year ago), now has about 350 posts and 22,000 views. It might be into the "Top 10" viewed threads here at ApexSpeed. Impressive stuff and obviously a subject people are interested in following.

As far as "thread meandering", moderating this place (ApexSpeed) is like cat wrangling. Sure, it's possible, but not likely to happen.

And disc brakes on FV..... IMO that ship has sailed. Give it another 5 or 10 years and try again.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

I had forgotten just how long this thread has been going, A little thread topic slippage is inevitable...

Bill,

I didn't realize the age of this thread as well? Maybe it should be closed for the moment?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    Maybe it should be closed for the moment?
    And miss out on the potentially entertaining comments of Brian ?

Many will realize that various people have been asking for disc brakes in FV for decades. For the elders, they will remember when "Handsome" Dave Smith use to petition the CRB for FV disc brakes immediately after the Runoffs starting in 1978 every year until he quite racing.

Love the idea or hate the idea, FV has about as much chance of getting disc brakes approved as a blizzard in Brazil. YMMV
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 22

ya just never know... what might happen

8-5-2010 Brazil spans the equator and the southern hemisphere and right now it is the depth of winter in the southern states. This week, at least 33 cities in the south of Brazil suffered snowstorms (picture). In the photo, the city of Urubici, in the mountains of the Southern state of Santa Catarina.
    The Brazilian Forecasting Center for Weather and Climatic Studies (CPTEC) has predicted that this heavy snowfall in southern Brazil will continue at least until the end of the week.

Contributing Member

Yeah, he didn't say there was a zero percent chance.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 16

As an avid supporter of disk brakes, I'd like to ask that we stop talking about this. It has been proposed, considered, then soundly rejected by the majority of the class. It is time we move on from this discussion and focus on other ways to grow the class and improve the racing.
    Stephen Saslow

Liked: 49

I think we've covered all the major options - no DOT tires, no hard spec slicks, no disc brakes, no spec manifold, no dry sump, no engine options. Anything that could realistically save money in the long run has been shot down and rejected. I guess we could move on to discussing allowing wheel covers, wings, aero bits and bobs. Carbon fiber rear suspension pieces? Fuel injection? Maybe a supercharger?

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 93

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    I think we've covered all the major options - no DOT tires, no hard spec slicks, no disc brakes, no spec manifold, no dry sump, no engine options. Anything that could realistically save money in the long run has been shot down and rejected. I guess we could move on to discussing allowing wheel covers, wings, aero bits and bobs. Carbon fiber rear suspension pieces? Fuel injection? Maybe a supercharger?
    Exactly........
    Scott

Or we could focus on solving current parts issues in order to keep the rules platform stable.
    Stephen Saslow

Liked: 53

The formula Vee challenge series/ Can Am challenge series has been trying to do just that in NEDIV. Looking into the Canadian F1200 model, spec manifold, and radial tires. I'm glad someone is looking into the future and saying we need to change. Don't get me wrong FV is and always will be my favorite class but my god are we so set in our ways we need to beat updating to death? I like the spec manifold idea and a spec tire. The fast drivers are going to be fast in anything they drive, and I will be having a blast just racing my butt off trying to keep up.

JMHO
    G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Tiago,

You forgot about "Active Suspension"....

Mark

88' Citation 002'

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default Parts shortage?

Not quite understanding "parts Shortage", Just typed in "VW brake" on Phoenix Craig's list, found a set of drums and a set of backing plates $5 a piece..... Also a bare beam $20 and a transaxle drum to drum $150!
    Then there is Yuma, Tucson, Albuquerque, Austin, Oklahoma City....

Liked: 53

That is true in the west and south. Now try upstate NY..... Not many parts here on Craig's, but they arn't impossible to find if you want to travel.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Soule View Post
    Not quite understanding "parts Shortage", Just typed in "VW brake" on Phoenix Craig's list, found a set of drums and a set of backing plates $5 a piece..... Also a bare beam $20 and a transaxle drum to drum $150!
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Build me a new engine.
    Stephen Saslow

Oh, and when you're done with that, how about a new spindle to spindle front beam.

Note the word NEW in both requests.
    Stephen Saslow

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4340

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Soule View Post
    I've got axles, axle tubes, backing plates, drums, wheels, transaxle cores ...... mostly genuine Made in Germany ....... priced at 1/3 what they would be worth if their were shortages ...... and no one is looking. There is enough of a world wide market, that that market reacts and solves true part shortages. Sometimes it takes a few months or few years, but there are enough people with used part inventories, or garage queens, to weather those storms.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by smsazzy View Post
    Oh, and when you're done with that, how about a new spindle to spindle front beam.

Note the word NEW in both requests.
    I've got an idea: how about making balljoint beams and disc brakes legal?

How exactly would you propose to address these so-called shortages?
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Clearly you did not see the part where I said we should stop discussing this proposal as it was soundly defeated. However, I would like to see some constructive dialog on how we can solve other issues. A great example is the progress we have made on the piston and cylinder front.

How about we now focus on getting some new engine cases (light weight like the stock case) made available. Perhaps get some new beams manufactured. I'm not suggesting rules changes Matt. Let's instead find ways to have stuff manufactured. I'd be willing to bet Jennerjahns or a host of others could manufacture brand new beam center sections. This would be a help to folks who prefer not to dumpster dive.
    Stephen Saslow

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

Was it really "soundly defeated" though? I was under the impression that the brake proposal sent out was so confusing & poorly written that it was rejected so more thought would be put into it, but the CRB seemingly gave up. I've seen & heard a lot of positive thoughts at the track this year about moving forward with upgrades.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4340

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clark View Post
    Was it really "soundly defeated" though? I was under the impression that the brake proposal sent out was so confusing & poorly written that it was rejected so more thought would be put into it, but the CRB seemingly gave up. I've seen & heard a lot of positive thoughts at the track this year about moving forward with upgrades.
    I think it more likely that the proposal was so far-fetched that the establishment did not bother putting it down. Once it gathered some steam, the establishment quickly quashed it.

FST remains a great option for people that prefer 70s VW parts instead of 60s VW parts.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clark View Post
    Was it really "soundly defeated" though?
    Yes.

Greg likes the term "establishment", I like the term "FV zombies".

YMMV
    Bill Bonow

"Soundly defeated" how? I assume most of the letters received were opposed. My letter was opposed, but opposed to the proposal as written, not opposed to BJ/disc brakes. I'm just curious about the soundly part. Is there public information about this or does it come from inside knowledge?

Let's instead find ways to have stuff manufactured.
    Stephen, this might be possible, but for the most part it is a very small market, too small to manufacture for economically. The later VW stuff has lots of suppliers due to the VW offroad market and those crazy California bug people.

Barry

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Yes.

YMMV
    Excuse me for a moment fellas.....

Bill, I think someone posted something for sale in the classifieds section without a price.
    Why don't you go there to"moderate" and stop the senseless interruptions during this conversation about FV?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Yes.

YMMV

Agreed. It is like typical political disagreement. "Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a mindless idiot."

This is uncalled for, unproductive and frankly, unfounded in reality.
    Stephen Saslow

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information