Thread: Bilstein shocks

Liked: 4

Default Bilstein shocks

Hi All,
    Could somebody please help I have a car that has Bilstein coil over shocks. They have numbers stamped on the bottom that I would say are factory they are 240-70 and 200-60.
    I contacted Bilstein Australia they had no idea what the numbers ment. There are also a few sets of smaller numbers also which I think are to do with who ever may have rebuilt them over time. The car in question is a 1980 TIGA SPORTS 2000 . ANY IDEAS. Thank You.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Those look like valve numbers. Rebound/Compression. You have two different numbers, so the shock has been rebuilt a couple of times. Without putting them on a dyno, no way to tell what you have in there.

The numbers 240/70 are the force in newtons at .52 m/s (approx. 20 inches/second). The number is mostly used as a comparison because those speeds are very fast in comparison to what your car will see.

Liked: 313

240/70 means 2400 Newtons force in rebound and 70 is 700 Newtons compression at the above mentioned speeds.

As I stated in a note a few weeks ago for a guy wanting to sell some Bilsteins, service is currently very bad from the service center in SanDiego. Apparently a lot of their staff quit recently.

Contributing Member

In the US, there are a couple of other places that can service Bilstein shocks (take apart and non-take apart).

Liked: 592

Default Bilstein

Dave,
    I thought I remember a while back, someone mentioning on Apexspeed about another location somewhere in the East, to have them serviced !
    Did that close ?
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member

They have a service center in Mooresville, but I don't think they rebuild anything other than NASCAR stuff. Delta Vee should be able to do most any shock. Fat Cat motorsports has the machine, but not sure if they have any experience with open wheel cars. There are more out there too, just have to look for them.

Liked: 127

Currently I am designing up the rest of the components for our Bilstein machine at Anze Suspension. We are out in Long Island and hope to be up and running servicing Bilsteins to support everyones winter rebuilds and other projects very soon. We have a shock dyno in house as well for taking curves and doing custom valving.

Will
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 302

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 15

CRE, those are valve codes for bump and rebound
    As Bilstein's are not adjustable other than changing the valves you will most likely find that they have been changed to other valves than the original code
    I have bilsteins on my F2 car, great shocks and they work really well, however to adjust them it's a pain to say the least. In the day the teams had a box of valves they changed at the various tracks to change bump and rebound
    I am in the process of changing to adjustable Koni's due to this problem
    Are you going to Sandown in Nov ?

Liked: 924

Default shock shop

The Shock Shop in Portland, OR can service them.

http://www.shock-shop.com/
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 4

Default Bilstein Shocks

Thanks for all the replys it confirms my thoughts. NOMIS I will be there as a spectator

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 15

If you want to talk Bilstein come and see us in garage 21 Lola #27

Thread Information