Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Runoffs

Liked: 3772

Default 2013 Runoffs

The SCCA had this crazy idea about a year ago to let past champions enter the 2013 Runoffs (50th) without having to qualify. Two of my friends took the bait. So, come Friday I'm driving to Elkhart Lake Wisconsin to crew for none other than Mike Rand (FF) and DaveW (FV). Talk about opposites. Rand's idea of prep is putting fuel in the car. Dave's idea is alignment within .00001" .

So... I'm off to the Runons. Mrs. Frog said it was insane to spend ten days on the road to watch two races, so she will hang at the coast with the granddaughters... missing out on wonderful Fall weather in Wisconsin.

Because i attended my first Runoffs with Butch Kummer in 1970, and we camped in the Road Atlanta infield, i decided the only proper way to do the 50th was to camp in the infield. I've aired out the tent and sleeping bags. (No big motorhome on this venture) Of course, Butch having a higher level of intellect, chose to camp in a room at Seibkins. I believe the best experience at great racing events is to live the experience in the paddock and infield, with great memories occuring just after dawn and around sunset, or in this case during periods of Full Moon.

Not real familiar with the availability of 4G service, i am going to make every attempt to report here on Apexspeed all the things you would never read about in SportsCar. I started this thread in General Discussion, because I'll be following all the formula classes, trying to dredge up the stories you really don't want to read. Fortunately, my writing mentor, Coop, will be on hand to also contribute as his schedule allows.

I even expect Butch might chime in to correct all the gross exagerations I may be tempted to type.

I have written for years that for every entry there are numerous "human interest" stories, so there will be no shortage of news, just a shortage of time to type it. I may even post some pictures...

You must realize that while browsing the schedule i spotted parties every night. I have had to go into training the past few weeks to prep for this rigorous schedule.

Stay tuned to this station.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1839

Frog, A report on John Morton returning to the Runoffs in a E/Prod Datsun 240Z after 43 years would be appreciated.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 1845

We are all seriously interested in just how you found a sleeping bag that was big enough - should be a real interesting story there about illegal seamstresses and tent makers...........

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: 2013 Runoffs

Looking forward to your posts. My son is leading in points in his kart our next kart race weekend is the same as run-offs I was kinda secretly hoping we'd be outta the points so we'd be crewing at Road America we are in the process of leaving one addiction & beginning another.... next year I've got to figure out how to race FC & Karts on the same weekend.... maybe adding a 'support' kart race at RA, BIR, BHF, etc. on FC weekends ? Hmmmm.....
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I even expect Butch might chime in to correct all the gross exaggerations I may be tempted to type.
    I imagine the exaggerations will be in proportion to the beverages consumed...
    Wish I could join you. It sounds like an adventure.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

PF, come by and see us , we are set [will be ]] up, at the north end of the false grid next to the port- apottie,,,,, needed for old bladder . I promise if i am still alive i will have a beer in hand to give out to you or anyone else, who can come bye ,,,,,bobo the fatto o9 csr .... remember a tear drop is aerodynamic!!!!1

Liked: 698

So... I'm off to the Runons. Mrs. Frog said it was insane to spend ten days on the road to watch two races, so she will hang at the coast with the granddaughters... missing out on wonderful Fall weather in Wisconsin.

It's 93 degrees here today. I suspect that will change by next week, though.

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    next year I've got to figure out how to race FC & Karts on the same weekend.... maybe adding a 'support' kart race at RA, BIR, BHF, etc. on FC weekends ? Hmmmm.....
    I've been doing it for 3 years. June Sprints, Cat National, a double regional, and both Runoffs weekends feature races at the RA kart track. At least this year the F1000 race isn't on the same day as my kids' kart races.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Richard,
    I discovered you can actually use the zippers in a fashion to make two sleeping bags into one.

The John Morton story should be interesting. His win would have been at my first Runoffs. I'm guessing there will be many old-timers coming out of the woodwork.

Rand's spot is #306. Sort of across from Lisa Noble and DaveW on the main drag.
    Purple Frog Base Camp will be in a spot they call "Trees 5". Possibly as good as sleeping on a porch floor at one of Christie's houses. At least Jason won't be tripping over me every two hours throughout the night when he has to go outside to howl at the moon.

Rand is running a Honda powered Crossle in FF. Treaded Dunlops? Rumors that the whole team has been issued matching dowsing sticks are just that.
    Dave, after winning national championships in three classes (FV, FF, FC), almost entered in SRF, but then took up Lisa's kind offer to enter in FV. I'm guessing he thought that if he entered his Citation in FC it would be too intense... because he would have to win. Both drivers say they are going with their emphasis on "the event". But, my experience says, all bets are off once the green laundry flies.

For me this will be interesting. Over the years I have had three different "spotters" talking to me on the radio. All summer i practiced great lines to radio to Rand or Dave. My favorite was for Rand, "Hey Mike, the starter waved the green three laps ago, when you plan to start racing?" But, alas, all is for naught. Neither guy plans on using radios. So, now I need to paint interesting sign boards...

We are also working on plans for grid girls, etc. (influenced by Fat Boys Racing).

Quite a list of parties, and pre-parties, and post-parties all week long. This is shaping up to be an endurance event.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.10.13 at 4:05 PM.

Mike B. Thx for the heads up. I'll have to check the classes they run... we're running KPV JR...

Liked: 698

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Mike B. Thx for the heads up. I'll have to check the classes they run... we're running KPV JR...
    http://www.rakartclub.com/Classes.htm

I encourage everyone to stop down for the night race next Saturday.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Its very tempting... 400 mile tow

Just heard that John Brumber qualified on Labor Day in Colorado and has found a way to get his FC to Road America to be under the Front Range Motorsports tent.

Great story on his facebook page about his last minute decision. Hopes to wipe out his last Road America memory of being seriously augered bottom side up in the gravel at T1 with broken vertebrae.

Every entry has a story.

Crowe Motorsports is helping out by developing a party plan:

Sunday Target: Seibkens
    Monday Target: Welcome party downtown
    Tuesday Target: Schawrtz's
    Wedensday Target: Paddock club downtown or restaurants next door
    Thursday Target: Mike Devins F1/Sports Racer party & can dip into 50th celebration
    Friday Target: ?

There is also the RRDC Runoffs Banquet. You might not be able to get in, (helps if your name is Coello) but you could stand outside and get autographs. Check out the members. OMG, a whos who of Road Racing. Should be a great turnout this year with all the returning champions.

http://www.rrdc.org/members.html

What a difference 43 years makes...
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.27.13 at 9:35 AM.

Liked: 174

Purple Frog:

I'm seeing a theme with your schedule!

Liked: 49

Mr. Frog - as usual, I'll be following the RunOffs from afar. For some reason (maybe the combined 50th anniversary of the Runoffs and FV) this year seems extra special and hence I'm feeling extra upset that I won't be able to attend. I'll be living vicariously through your posts. Don't let me down.

Who is going to win?

I read Sportscar to get the inside scoop.
    So out on a limb i go...

FA Jason Byers
    This could be very close. Keith Grant should kick ass this FA this year, especially with Polestar. Mallinen is the real deal, could easily win. I'm going with Jason just because of the history with Rob St Clair, and weird stuff like that. My dark horse pick is Dwight Rider. Super nice guy.

FB Brandon Dixon
    A totally emotional pick, not based on anything quanitative. Brandon gave me a Citation hat a few years ago. What can i say? The Citation guys have learned a lot about mechanical grip this year. Loshak might just run away and hide. He has seat time in his favor this year. Sort of depends if it's dry and goes green for the whole distance. My darkhorse pick has to be my ol' buddy Coop. If only i could write like Coop. Hell... if only i could drive like Coop. He has done so much for the promotion of the sport. I love this class. Would it be like the coolest thing ever if the grandfather of FB... Jeremy Hill... won? YES! And, if Jose Gerardo gets on the podium, you won't see a bigger grin. Brian could win. JR could win. This class is like FC back in 2005. It might be the best lineup of any race group.

FC David Grant
    This run group is purely pitiful. Let's blame Rand. If SCCA would let the top 5 F2000 cars enter, it would be a kick-ass party. We could all watch Tim wipe the field.
    Hell, if Gaffney would have shown up with a Reynard I would pick him. I picked David Grant because he has been racing with us all season, he has red hair, and his kids let me write crazy things in their paddock with their color chalk. Let's face it, Szykulski with Arms-Up help should just walk away with this show. Plus, they play more on bias tires, its their playground. I wanted so bad to pick Chris Miller. Chris is a past F2000 champ. If John Church is turning the wrenches Chris could be a BIG factor.
    My darkhorse has to be John Brumber. He is going to have fun, what's not to love about that?

Jeez, i should have entered one more Major event... I'd get a top ten at the Runoffs. But... would i have waited around until Sunday to race? I'll read about this one on the internet somewhere in Kentucky.

FE Paul Schneider
    Paul is cool. He loves getting photos from Janice for his Facebook page. He seems to always be smiling. And, he's from SEDIV. This is my choice, it doesn't have to make any sense. I didn't want to pick him because his car is orange and blue... and i hate orange and blue. (Real men don't wear orange) I'm sticking with Schneider.
    My darkhorse has to be Eric Cruz. Eric and his wife may be one of the great couples in racing (think, LaRue, Weitzenhof, Dunn, etc). Plus, maybe if my retirement runs out, Eric will hire me to write educational documents for the US Navy.

FV Dave Weitzenhof
    Who did you really think i would pick? Come on. I'll be on the wall with Sherrie watching Dave drive in a FV the first time in decades. I'm sticking with my team.
    I broke some ribs at Road Atlanta in the spring. Steve Davis came to the rescue. He drove my RV to his home with my grandkids on board. Set it up, and let us park it there for a week. This is after he completely messed his car up in a BIG way the same weekend. Steve, over the years has patiently worked with me to go through T1 and T3 at Road Atlanta better. If Dave doesn't win, I want Steve to win this one.
    49 entries! How can i pick a darkhorse? This could be the race to watch.

FF Mike Rand
    Same story, different class. I'm crewing for Rand. With the cloaking device we have developed, he will be able each lap to go straight through the 'cut through' at Turn 5 without being seen. Our only job is to not use it too much and lap the field. We wanted number 103 (the age of the driver and car added together) but SCCA is still buried in the past. So #87 it is. Nothing like taking a knife to a gun fight. Try to ignore all the dowsing rods the team will be walking around with. Rand used up 3 of his crew passes to get the Cherokee Rain Dancers to come on Saturday morning.
    Meanwhile, while we are having so much fun Tim Kautz will be the Man. Tim has worked so hard getting physically in shape, and totally redesigning the Piper/Honda. Personally, i would have liked watching him all season get his ass kicked by children in the F1600 Series, but i understand the economics of the situation. In Club racing, he has to be the favorite. Lew III should be on the podium. His car is the best money can buy, and he can drive it. But i'm leaning towards Kautz. The podium will be Rand, Kautz, Cooper.
    Darkhorse? The way i see it, there are 21 darkhorses in this race. Take your pick.

F500 i don't have a clue. I can't let my ears get within 100 feet of these guys.

FM Doug Peterson
    Who else could i pick? I have friends from Alaska. Doug and Speed Connection are a potent force.
    My spoiler has to be Franklin Futrelle (only because Keith Roberts is not coming). Franklin jumped into the F1600 fray at Summit Point in August and convinced me he can still drive.
    I'll pick Darryl Willis as my darkhorse. Darryl should always be on the podium. He could win, and he certainly deserves a title.

OK... flame away. At least I have balls enough to post this.

Talked to Fred Clark today. Also found out today, while searching the RRDC website for Rand's picture, that Fred is a member of RRDC. Cool. Fred is like my scrutineer mentor. He has forgot more about scrutineering than i know yet. But, don't talk to him about HANS devices.

Anyway... he is hauling like the first ever FV up from Jacksonville, to be on display at the Welcome Party on Monday evening.

This is completely hard to believe, but this special FV predates even DaveW.

Ok, you can go back now to trying to figure out who you think is going to win. Didn't mean to interupt your thought process....

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default Runoffs 2013

I get your FF picks Mike, 1 sentimental (unless it rains) and 2 who've been there before, but I spent the entire F1600 season chasing Bamford. The Sprints were no accident. They've got that car hooked up.

Mike,
    You are so correct (even for a Yankees fan). But, on MotorsportReg... Bam Bam's name isn't there, so i didn't consider him.
    If he is in, it changes the picture hughly.

I'll have to recompute my FF picks if he is in. He might even come in second behind Rand.

Liked: 91

Bamford's entries in both FF and FC disappeared last week.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Since Meakin, aka Purple Frog, has made such a silly prediction it got me wondering about something.
    Well, several somethings.
    First, someone do the research and come up with the last time a Crossle 30F ran at the Runoffs.
    The 30F does have a National Championship title in it's history, Dennis Firestone in 1976 beating the Zink duo of Tim Evans and Dave Weitzenhof. A further 5 30F competed. The chassis wars were well on in those days with 7 makes represented.
    By the way, this 1976 FF National Championship race was run in wet conditions, very wet conditions. 30F love the rain, even then they did.........
    Second, cocktail hour perusal of the entry lists show nine [9] actual cars that predate the original Runoffs, being early '60's mostly Brit sports cars. With one lone Datsun 510 included.
    9 cars that existed before the concept of these now 50 years on Runoffs Championship was instituted.
    Must be a small group photo op there. I don't know any of the drivers but wonder about this diverse group of Brit sports car fanatics.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1839

Rand, I'm glad to see your not still out in the trailer making love to those two sets of brand spanking new rain tires you got. You know,.....the one's you showed me twice last weekend at LRP.

Good luck out ther pal. I'll do a little JT rain dance for ya!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

You know Rand wasn't out in the trailer sorting/organizing it.

Just realized WRD didn't serve curry at Summit Point as promised. Maybe they are saving it for the Runoffs...

Liked: 3208

Default The story behind the story

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    ...First, someone do the research and come up with the last time a Crossle 30F ran at the Runoffs.
    The 30F does have a National Championship title in it's history, Dennis Firestone in 1976 beating the Zink duo of Tim Evans and Dave Weitzenhof. A further 5 30F competed. The chassis wars were well on in those days with 7 makes represented.
    By the way, this 1976 FF National Championship race was run in wet conditions, very wet conditions. 30F love the rain, even then they did.........
    Here is the story behind the story...
    Tim Evans and I are still, every time we see each other, beating ourselves up about the finish of that race. Tim and I had a several-second lead over Dennis, coming out of turn 7 onto the straight on the last lap. I was ahead. Back then, Tim and I never blocked. So, I tried to slow down enough that Tim would be forced to pass me too early and I could then draft by him going down the hill and take the win. He wouldn't bite, we forgot about Dennis, and we went so slow that Dennis got a big run on us. By the time we realized that, he had zoomed by, we couldn't catch him, and he won the race.
    Last edited by DaveW; 09.13.13 at 8:35 AM. Reason: added a few words
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 1100

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Here is the story behind the story...
    By the time we realized that, he had zoomed by, we couldn't catch him, and he won the race.
    Pure gold..
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    First, someone do the research and come up with the last time a Crossle 30F ran at the Runoffs.
    Does a 25F count? Dan Helman and James Rogerson ran their 25F's in 2010.

Sorry to see Bamford pulled his FF entry. He was my pick for National Champ.
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Today, all over the U. S. of A., trailers are starting to roll out of driveways.

The forecast high for Elkhart Lake tomorrow is lower than the forecast low in North Florida. Love it.

I'm so used to going to the races in the big ol' RV. Today I'm discovering that all the junk I'm used to taking doesn't want to fit in the Zetec wagon. I feel like a settler approaching the Rockies on the westward trek. What do I throw out of the wagon? The extra sleeping bag, or the third case of Captain Morgan? Decisions, decisions...

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Going out on a limb I am gonna guess, who needs 2 sleeping bags line of logic will prevail.
    Hell yes 25F count !
    Did they have a good time ?
    I bet they weren't last.........
    I need to find results from the FF 2010 race and see how they fared. Faired ? Hmmmm...

Liked: 96

Today, all over the U. S. of A., trailers are starting to roll out of driveways.
    Safe travels to all the Run-Offs competitors, crew & volunteers!
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Anyone know if there are any "town hall" meetings scheduled?

I was thinking about setting up a stand on the main drag to rent pitchforks and torches.

Usually the FF one is 10 minutes after qualifying....

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Default Town Hall

The FSR town hall is Monday at lunch, I think the usual place.

Of course, somehow the F500s and FVs are the practice session right before lunch. The Touring classes are also scheduled for that meeting and hopefully they'll try and do that first so we have some time to get there. Should be doable for most but we'll have to hustle.

NSA will be there doing "pat downs" before entering

Liked: 19

No single malts for you tent dwellers Frogster, unless you have a Land Rover outside and there are elephant calls in the distance, make it Black Label, or perhaps Schlitz (they still make it, I used to love Schlitz Draft circa '69), Mollies, or Labatts, lean more towards any Milwaukee or Chicago brand, when in Rome, ........... because of age you may stick with lite beer for the sugar content ..... can't wait to hear some runoffs garb, ..... cheers!
    oh yes, Marguritas, missed mine at Summit, she a blond or brunette ....
    I see, Rum for the Tum, also a good choice
    Last edited by Modo; 09.12.13 at 1:01 PM.

Liked: 973

Default Town Hall Meetings

FYI - We are advised that the location will rotate some for the meetings. Normally they are at the building adjacent to the kart track however there is something else schedule there for one or more of the days. Notices are supposed to be posted alerting us to the appropriate location.

Having experienced many of these meetings... and now being on the FSRAC... I think we should have the meeting, than announce the time and location after we are done.

I don't want to have to make a packing decision between the kevlar vest and the third case of Captain Morgan...

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Mike,
    You are so correct (even for a Yankees fan). But, on MotorsportReg... Bam Bam's name isn't there, so i didn't consider him.
    If he is in, it changes the picture hughly.

I'll have to recompute my FF picks if he is in. He might even come in second behind Rand.
    Work gets in the way of my chance to go but I also did not like qualifying scheduling. I competed all season running FC & FF in SCCA weekends as they were in different run groups. Qualifying for FC & FF are together at the Runoff's???????

Sebring, West Palm, COTA, Road Atlanta, Road America June Sprints all had different run groups where I raced. All Majors except West Palm was a National...now I would have to qualify for different races in the same sessions?

Sorry, don't mean to complain but this is a big part of my decision not to take a week off work & qualify half hazzardly.
    Last edited by Steve Bamford; 09.12.13 at 3:45 PM.
    Steve Bamford

Steve,
    Your decision makes sense to me.

And here I thought we were making it hard on you to qualify and race two classes in the pro series all season, many times with maybe a 5 minute gap.

Rand is on the road. He washed the truck, but putting a fender on the trailer would lose the spirit of club racing. (We spent days trying to get him to haul into RA with an open trailer.) It will be the dog's first Runoffs. An adventure begins...

Wait til he finds out he isn't in charge of the weekend...
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 02.15.14 at 4:20 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 478

I am sure the guy who put the NARRC Runoffs on the same weekend as RA is probably hiding right now -

I believe Dave Lapham is the race chair for LR and he probably gave up a chance to run so thanks to him.

But what will the NARRCoffs be with out Rand? We will have to have Race Monitor going both ways then.

Good luck to all the NE guys.

ChrisZ

Liked: 58

Wow, Mike. Jill and I are RON in Indy on the way up. Mark Walthew e-mailed I should read your post. Our names in same sentence as LaRue, Weitzenhof and Dunn?? You must've bumped your little froggie-head. Look forward to seeing you there, brother.

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information