Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 7

I can’t help with the Top 10 driver excuses, so I’ll share the top 5 keys to speed; then you won’t need the excuses?

1 – Reduce your sensation of speed
    Using imagery/visualization in combination with the experiences you’ve had, you can create a sensory-rich model of the track in your mind. Then, when you drive, your unconsciously mind can simply do pattern matches against you model, which frees your conscious mind to do other thins like the next key.

2 – Increase sensitivity to Forces and Traction
    By taking the conscious attention you freed with key 1 and focusing it on the spaces in between what you ‘do’ (Braking, turn-in, apexing, throttle application, etc) you can find the speed that hides in between your actions. That’s where your causes become effects (your inputs generate forces).

3 – Get the tires on a plane
    Once you can really feel forces and traction, then you can confidently push the tires to they’re traction and slip angle limits. Why ‘on a plane’? A speed boat handles like crap when it’s not on a plane because it’s designed to function on a plane; likewise with tires, they must be used with the proper loads and slip angles to feel good and perform well.

4 – Control the Polar Shift
    No, not the global warming thing. Your car naturally does a polar rotation around its center of mass in every corner. If you want to be really fast, you have to take control of where and how quickly that happens. Doing so, will allow you to accomplish key 5.

5 – Drive a trajectory on a line
    REALLY fast drivers do not just drive a line because ‘the line’ does not take into account the length and width described by the tire contact patches. Knowing this allows you to bend the ‘line rules’ to extract that little bit of performance from the car/tires

I can’t stop myself, so here are two last bonus tips:

Many people will tell you that you must get Seat Time to get fast. You will need some Seat Time to improve, but getting it does not guarantee that you will improve. If you want to get fast, what you MUST do is put in the effort to extract and apply the LESSONS that are hidden within your Seat Time. If you do that, you will keep moving up the learning curve. If you don’t your will likely plateau somewhere and no amount of seat time will help.

Last thing: NEVER go on the track without having a specific improvement goal for the session.
    Warren Chamberlain
    Speed Craft
    "The Way of Intuitive Speed" &
    "The Spiral to Speed"

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

DANG ! That's very REAL advice. Sum beech. Ya dun pushed me over da edge. So much fir just havin sum fun.

Seriously, I was trying not to go all in.... Well, you just set the hook real good. Ain't no turning back now ! Geez.... I'll never be able to retire !

Sincere Thanks for some well spoken advice !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Finally ! A complete day on track. The car ran reliably all day at BIR yesterday. With nearly three hours of track time at a reasonable pace, I got out of the car at the end of the day with arms of lead & a neck made of rubber

I still have several seconds to find, but know where they are. Threshold braking, entry speed, exit speed, driver fitness & focus... other than those minor tweaks, I'm there !

I'm not sure getting comfortable passing sedans is a good thing. Did have the best time of the day chasing Jed in his Lambo.

Had one big spin out of 12. Minor flat spotted the tires. Kept it on track, albeit facing the wrong way. The slowest corner is 12 & it's my toughest one to get even close to right.

Time for new rubber, a realignment & relocating my head rest farther back. 6'1" is just a little long for all day driver comfort. Remember, at my age it's all about the comfy pillow

Was nearly collected by a Mustang late braking into 12. The previous lap he gave me a point by, but I just didn't trust his driving. Should of followed my instincts instead of my testosterone After the session, I went to apologize for the late braking inside move I made. Thought I rattled him. Turns out he never saw me. He blew the corner all on his own. Scary !

Lots of pro teams here this coming weekend. I'm going to have to lay down some wicked fast times to land that paid driver's spot

Liked: 210

Yes! Another totally FUN day in a Reynard! You just cannot beat them.

Wow 6'1" we know the problem. My son is 6'2". Have you cut the bottom dash board brace out yet? Gives huge amount more knee room. We HAD to do a bead seat to get him into the car properly but didn't have to modify the head rest.

P.S. You need to weld some mounting tabs in when you do the dash mod. So you might want some help from you local prep shop. Probably don't need to dewire it if done carefully.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Thx for the heads up. I've got fire resistant roll bar padding everywhere my body hits steel bead seat is next on the to-do list.

Liked: 587

indeed we're so low that tin tops can't see you at times depending on where you are....you'll see FVs in Vintage class at times running that flag on a tall sort of antenna thing for a reason

Today... First time racing in the wet on slicks.... Really gets your attention.

Big question ! Rear stub axle has migrated in board on the '90 Reynard. I have many hours before race time tomorrow to attempt repair. No Reynard guys here in the frozen tundra.

I'd be set with a Reynard Hayne's Manual

Any suggestions. I have a chance to actually have a good race IF I can figure this out.

TIA to the all knowing Wizards of ApexSpeed !

Call Averill first thing in the morning BEFORE breakfast!

Thx Rick

I did find some expertise sittng by the campfire last night. Going to try heating the upright & freezing the bearing. A lot like heating the harmonic balancer on a Chevy 283 before sliding it on

Man, I hope it works. We never had any problem like that on our Reynards.

We did have a Ford van that was a part of our electrical contracting business back in the 70's. Every once in a while you'd look in the right rear view mirror and see the rear axle sticking out about 2 1/2 feet beyond the truck. Very disconcerting.

Well.... found the reason. It was hurting my brain (doesn't take much). My son & I were putting on the rear wheels together, one of us on each side. I glance over & notice his wheel looks askew. Me, "Hey buddy. Make sure you have that wheel centered on the drive pins." Son, "No worries dad. I got this covered. You just get your side on right." My mistake. My responsibility for trusting him. Wheel was barely catching on inner part of wheel webs. Drive pins chewed up the wheel center & allowed the stub axle - bearing assembly to move inward. Fortunately, Mr. Reynard did a great job of engineering these cars and " God looks after fools & youngins " & I aint young....

Turns out to be a good weekend with the old Reynard. Fast qualifier in the run group. Mostly FF, 1 FM & my race buddy in his well sorted 96 Van Diemen (converted to 4 shock). Unfortunately, he lost it in front of me on the start exiting turn one at the transition. Fortunately, I 'whoaed' instead of 'goed' as he went back down the track in front of me & backed it hard into the inside wall. Bent the right rear corner, etc. Was really looking forward to chasing him.

Started the race on pole and just ran a steady 9/10's to the end. Was surprised by the checker & nearly went off in 12. Missed the brake marker

Adjusted camber for the Hoosiers & softened the rear bar. Car had just a little push at the limit instead of the no warning snap spin at slower speeds.

Set a new CFC track record - not difficult because I set it with a slipping clutch on Memorial Day Weekend

Got to chat with Tommy Kendal after the race and congratulate him on a great drive thru the field to P2. He late brakes into 3 like no one else. He is one smooth driver !

Now, looking forward to more track time and some 10/10's laps

One more thing... thank goodness for Ibuprofen !!!

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Kirk-
    While it was a bit difficult for me to watch a race from the stands, it was fun watching you yesterday, I knew you had to be having a blast. I couldn't help but be happy for you. You looked very smooth out there also. Ethan and Tony too. Just wish I hadn't "forgotten" to bring my car back with me. Congrats on the win. Ethan, in FF, too.

Steve
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Thx Steve ! What a pleasant surprise to see you 'Coloradans' at BIR I will miss your pre-race ritual

My wife, major sponsor, waved vigorously from the bridge after the checker while my buddy Eric blew me a kiss... I nearly went off in 13, as well, laughing so hard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information