Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Runoffs

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    It is certainly not Enterprises fault that SCCA sent the Runoffs to an area with very little FE participation. We had 9 cars at the Cat Majors (and Scott was not one of them). Of the 9 drivers, only 1 of them (Reece Everard) is entered for the Runoffs. I know Steve Grundahl wants to go, but its a huge commitment of both time and money.

Put the Runoffs at Indy and you'd probably have 25 FE's at least.

So, those 8 other drivers would attend if the runoffs were at Indy ?

Aren't the runoffs a huge commitment by the west coaster's when it's not on the west coast? They pay big to attend.... Once in 20+ years and everyone's moaning

I know, everyone got used to having it in their backyards! But it seems SCCA is intending to change that....

Liked: 77

Erik,

My main concern about communication was that those of us that are signed up for the mailing list have not received anything since April 1. That means that the entire race season has gone by without any communication.

I have always been a proponent of yours and you running Enterprises is one of the reasons that I got into the class .

But here we are with the 3rd lowest entry of all classes at the RunOffs and I have to ask why?

And Steve, we used to get 10-12 cars at regionals here in NorCal .

It would have been nice to see the CSR's from other Regions bring haulers with multiple cars, but I guess it's the west coast guys that are always expected to travel??
    JR

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most ! "

Erik,

Do you know how many cars still exist as FE?
    How many have been converted to FB?
    How many to FC?

It seems that only 30 to 40 race regularly.

Liked: 218

I wasn't moaning, I was stating a fact. And yes I know its been a big commitment for West Coast drivers to attend the Runoffs since they left Riverside, although Holy Topeka was somewhat closer.

And yes I'm pretty sure that the other 8 drivers would be attending the Runoffs if it were at Indy.

Many would also probably go to COTA. My point was that FE is alive and well in CenDiv, just not for guys travelling to the West Coast for a race.

I would not be surprised to see 12 car fields next year in the Northern Conference Majors at the CenDiv tracks.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 10

so what good does divisional racing do if no one travels to the big event?

I think we all saw the potential for there to be low car count at the beginning year, SO why didn't anyone bother to push and motivate people to participate? I would think that the manufacturer of the car would want to see a large field.

I must have missed the motivating speech....

Liked: 0

Hello all, hope all is well in your world.
    Sorry to be so late to this post. For those of you who I haven't met, I am the new CSR taking over from Robinson Motorsports. These first few months have been awesome.

I purchased my FE in 2004. Until this year, I lived in N.C. VIR and Road Atlanta were 4 and 6 hours away. Spoiled I know. The numbers have gone up and down. First because of corrected mechanicals, then with the economy. We just had 5 at the Daytona double regional. There are at least 5 more that woulda, coulda. All legit, unlike Paul . I have seen more intrest since moving to Florida than I have seen for several years. There are 4 new cars near me and a few others in my Division. I think it is coming back.

Colorado has to keep the SRF fleet moving. There have been almost 900 built. By the way, first race in my FE as a CSR the engine blew. I had a choice, watch or play with the Gen 3. I love it. I have had six different racers in it and all were suprised at the improvement. I am still an open-wheeler though. The FE rocks.

I have been a constant commenter to Erik for years about possible upgrades. A stronger engine, paddle shifters...it all sounded good to me until the costs were added up.
    However, I still have ideas and would like to get your input.

1. Give the front a little more support with either stronger front or weaker rear springs.
    My choice would be stiffer front with a possible front wing upgrade.

2. Better shocks

Choice 1 would be very inexpensive, 2 a little more. Eric is open to our ideas.

As far as the location of the Runoff's, it cannot be close to all of us. I suggest a tow fund for the FE privateers. As a CSR, would love to have my travel expenses reduced. With a limited budget the impact would be more significant this way.

Later,
    Tilden tk@PrismMotorsports.com

Found out - I am a troll....

I currently do not have a Formula Car. I'm in SoCal. I think there are 2 here.
    My shopping issues are:
    1. fit - I'm not small
    2. money - A decent FC is <$15k. FE is +$10k
    3. competition
    4. ?

FE IMO is a no brainer in a lot of ways, but the last Majors I went to had 3 FE cars....
    FC seems to be long lasting and very active....

So, what's happening w/FE? Is it a dying class?
    To find a car that fits, do I find an FE with a dead drivetrain and convert it to FC? FB?

If you chose today, would you buy another FE? or ???

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Read View Post
    It would have been nice to see the CSR's from other Regions bring haulers with multiple cars, but I guess it's the west coast guys that are always expected to travel??
    If you know anybody traveling through Colorado let me know.
    I really want to go but need help getting there and back.

Liked: 0

Jeff is correct, and I'm not dodging the fact I could have just said hello, my lapse is worth many rounds of beer. Brandon is right as well, months ago maybe something could have been done. But I will give fact after fact that motivating speeches and giving the racers what they think they want does not make them show up. We spent over $50,000, over 4 years, on the SCCA FE Pro then USF2000 Pro Series that were so incredibly supported...until it came time to enter an event (many reasons can be shared for each series lack of FE interest). Since 2006 we have spent over $100,000 on specific events, only two that we directly supported ever worked...the 2007 FE ARRC race (other ARRCS didn't have any real cash support but were terrific as well) and the 25th SRF Anniversary event (and even that has a back story). The data and painful lessons show one fact - People have money to race in X races for the year, so they race X races, and if the travel to one makes them have to race X-2 or even X-1, they won't go...the number it takes to change their minds is out of proportion with just letting them run X races. As a manufacturer you balance more total races for the PR that a good race can have, especially if it is a championship race. I think I made it clear I am a Runoffs fan. I will make this simple, if you are on the fence on going to the Runoffs - call me: personal mobile: 248 761-3704

As far as how many are out there: over 120 FE cars, even discounting ESR's. Not sure any went from FE to F1000, those cars usually started with our frame and were directly built that way; as the agreement allowed. We have had as many as 100 run in one season, pre-recession.
    Sincerely,
    Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises

Liked: 3

Interesting comments- my son was looking for a formula class last year and thought FE was the best choice. Spec class but still a real formula car and plenty quick. He did many years of competitive shifter kart racing in SKUSA and loves open wheel.
    Did several years then in SM with his brother and me (dad and "sponsor" ...).

First year in FE has been great, doing as much of the Northern Major's series as we can. The support from Steve and One Formula has been a life saver. Could never have done without his and his crew's help. Luckily in the northern series the grids have been decent, probably thanks to Steve, and to Scott R...

Done this year due to circumstances beyond our control, but plan on hitting as many of the northern series races as possible next year, and will try and pencil in the runoffs at Daytona!! (I can't wait to go back- used to go to several 24 hour races there back in the '70's when my sister lived there!!)

Appreciate the comments from Erik. (as a 43+ year Porsche owner I remember his dad well)

I had asked about conversion in the fb forum....
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63993

Granted no one actually said they converted from an existing fe...
    Last edited by BeerBudgetRacing; 08.13.14 at 4:32 AM.

Liked: 384

FE as open wheel formula car cost wise is what SRF is to sports racers.
    You wont get more speed for less money ,longer lasting motors with plenty of speed and torque and lowest operating cost in open wheel(Fm is only equal one)
    I have had mine for half year now and slowly learning ins and outs of car as well as picking up speed.
    Some of you might remember that biggest field SRF didn't happen over night either
    it took well over decade for word to get around about low running cost and that drove competition numbers thru the roof.
    Also don't forget that spec classes usually hold their value because new car or better engine or suspension package doesn't end up making guys that own older cars to become uncompetitive.20 year FC is worth 45 % of newer ones (that's quite a hit)
    Car is plenty fast and fairly predictable and low running costs:
    spec tire
    spec shocks
    sealed motor (in some cases going between 160 to 200 hours falling of may be 1 to 3 horsepower ) is the key.
    Hang in there guys word will get around and some big bucks guys might see value in class
    as well as newcomers seeing it as relatively inexpensive way into ope wheel.
    Also i have been listening for years racers bitching about cost of racing and no light at the end of the tunnel,scammers making up bogus series ,old good series being killed etc
    I don't see anybody doing most important thing in sports entertainment(yes i said it racing is entertainment for regular Joe)
    Which is bringing spectator money to the track ,that would get prize money ,it would
    bring manufacturers interest and possibly even regional sponsors and media attention.
    With empty stands racing is just very expensive hobby for few involved.
    Without giving details away heavy promotion is needed ,instead of moaning about which class is dieing or better ,bring friends to races(non racing friends) coworkers
    neighbors etc.
    What the hell happened guys ,in 70s and 80's going to race was like attending rock concert ,
    kick back with beer ,have some food ,check out hot race cars ,talk to drivers
    make out with hot chick.etc.
    Now it 's bunch of older guys (no disrespect) talking about golden days and NOT doing anything to change it.
    In 15 to 20 years how do you thing amateur open wheel racing will look when 70%
    of today's active racers will not be able to get in and out of car anymore.4 car field might look pretty good then.
    THINK ABOUT IT.
    Bringing hot girls to track with you also not a bad idea.
    Anyhow i 'll try to change it at least in my neck of woods.
    See how much success that wil generate.
    At least I'll be able to say that i have tried my best to change status quo(not the band ha ,ha )
    Something to digest at Runoffs for all racers.
    As always my three cents ...
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Liked: 218

I don't think Dana would be too happy if I brought hot girls to the track with me!
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 348

She gets jealous looking in the mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    I don't think Dana would be too happy if I brought hot girls to the track with me!
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 29

thank you eric....

Liked: 4

We're up to 10, welcome Henry!

Liked: 7

Default runoffs ?

Just signed up - still very much a maybe at this point. Tying to work out transport, so I will cancel if it doesn't come together.

Hopefully it all works out. If anyone is looking for a ride from the Midwest, let me or Steve Stadel know. We need to get 4 cars in his truck to make it work & we have 3 verbal commitments so far.

Thanks,
    Steve Grundahl

Liked: 4

51 cars in our run group for qualifying (FC/FE/FM is actually the biggest run group for the whole week). The other formula classes are in the low to mid 30's for group size. Seems like somebody in the SCCA didn't think that one through.........

Contributing Member
    Liked: 25

Default Qualifying

I would suggest split qualifying sessions, but with a measly 20 minute session, that is out of the question. We just need to remind each other to be respectful of those in other classes to those who are running faster, regardless of class.
    Chuck Raggio

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

wut. that's awful. I thought the current best idea for scheduling was to have some mixed groups but to have at least 1 single-class qualy session. oh well.

ideally the 3 classes could agree to have 2 classes out of each session only go for 15 min. With 3 classes and 3 sessions, each class gets 5 min on track with just that class. the other 15 min are free for all. I don't think that would fly but if it would then you have to decide whether the dedicated time is the first 5 or last 5 ... either choice stinks.

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by rshute View Post
    51 cars in our run group for qualifying (FC/FE/FM is actually the biggest run group for the whole week). The other formula classes are in the low to mid 30's for group size. Seems like somebody in the SCCA didn't think that one through.........
    Did you guys not see the disclaimer at the top of the schedule?

"Below is the projected qualifying groups but these are subject to change based on individual class subscription."

Seems to me they're on top of it already.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...20Schedule.pdf
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 62

Default schedule

Tim, That's not the latest schedule, I think it was revised on the 26th?

I have been in E-mail contact with Terry and the issue is qualifying, they cant seam to figure out how to brake it up.

Scott

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information