Liked: 1

Default Two roll bar numbers ???

While in restoration of my 1973 MRE FF, I was removing a roll bar extension loop this afternoon, and underneath the weld was another test hole on the drivers (left) side of the bar. I removed the paint with stripper and found a second roll hoop stamped number.

The first number set was on the right side of the bar and 4" below the drill hole and numbers vertically stamped 023 1039 without a dash between sets. I thought this might be an SCCA region and ID number from area 23 (upstate New York)and log book # 1039, I have SCCA checking this in region, but region 23 never starts their numbers with a zero.

The latest discovery from this afternoon (and older based on visual traits) of numbers is on the left side of the bar and is stamped 071-140 and is vertical on the bar but the letters are stamped left to right in horizontal format with a dash between sets.

The car in question is a 1973 MRE (vin #03) and was the works race and development car in England from 1973 - 1975 when MRE became Tiga. The car was rolled off as the first production MRE Formula Ford, but it also took shape as a Formula 2000 during its MRE years before return to FF. Was sold at auction at Cheffin's in England in 2000. The car history has been verified by Jim Gleave of MRE as well as other (Hewland) documentation on the car. When purchased last year it did not come with a logbook associated to the car.

Would the RAC in England be a possible source of info on these stamped numbers ?

Any ideas or input is appreciated... JB

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

JB

Both numbers match the format used by SCCA to mark rollbars and logbooks. The record for numbers issued has resided with the individual regions. The specific format (dash / no dash, leading zero) is dependent on the individual doing the stamping.

Region 23 is the New York Region. The Scrutineer is Richard Welty, his email is rwelty at Krusty-motorsports dot com

Region 71 is the Glen Region. Their Scrutineer is Dan Glueck, his email is dglueck at rochester.rr dot com

It is doubtful that the RAC would have any information on SCCA logbook / rollbar numbers

Good luck

Terry

Liked: 1

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input,I'll contact them both... JB

Thread Information