Liked: 18

Default 2 parts foam seat Question

Want to do a seat in my formula vee. I have the 2 part foam but am wondering measurements of each part to pour a full bottom and back of the seat. I got the foam with my car but no instructions. Thank you . Rob Murray

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1471

it's usually 50-50 but you can sometimes discern the relative ratios by the sizes of the cans. If the cans are the same size, then 50/50.

Default Seat

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about actual measurements like 1 cup of each will do a seat and soforth. Thanks Rob

Liked: 123

Be advised that it expands far more than you think it will, and you can't get it off anything. So cover everything with garbage bags, including you, and be prepared to mix a few batches. I use two litre pop bottles and cut the tops off, to mix in, and use a new one for each small batch, and put them in a garbage can instantly as soon as I've poured out the mix into the seat bag. Every seat is different so you need to just start, and stop when you are done.

Brian

Default Seat

Great thanks Brian. Rob

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

And have at least one helper.
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Liked: 123

Big time on the helper! I forgot to say to make sure you have a strategy for getting the newly poured seat out. If you pour it around frame tubes, it won't come out. Sometimes you have to cut it in half vertically to get it out, if you do that angle the cut to one side to let it pop out easier.

Brian

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Tape a garbage compactor bag (much thicker, easier to keep in place, into place with the opening up. and the bottom where your butt will be. Try to smooth out s many wrinkles out as possible by tapping place. Get in the car with your driving suit on, assume your best racing position, and be prepared to hold rigidly that position since when ti swells it wants to push you out of position.

Don't mix up too much. If you didn't do enough on the first try, your helper can mix up some more to "top off" the pour without you getting out of the car.

When it's done expanding, let it cool down, then strip off the bag and use a hacksaw blade and a wood rasp to finish the contours and edges.

Now the hard part. There will be little voids needing filling as well as sealing all the open cells where you contoured and refined the shape. Plain old rubber caulking can be smeared on using a spatula and maybe a wet paper towel to fill holes and build a "skin" where you've covered open cells. This will take several applications letting each dry.

Then when it's shape is good, get a can of spray on bed-liner inthe color of your choice and apply several coats. This combo looks good and will last a LONG time. Do not cover even think about using with duct tape.

Liked: 9

A Rapala fish filet knife works well and has a narrow blade that goes around curves well.

If you want to go to a fireproof two part foam that is more comfortable and last longer go here:

http://motorsports-sw.com/site/custom-seat-kits/

It will save you time and money in the long run.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Liked: 175

Quote Originally Posted by Robert J. Alder View Post
    When it's done expanding, let it cool down, then strip off the bag and use a hacksaw blade and a wood rasp to finish the contours and edges.
    And wear a mask when you do this to keep the (invisible) stuff out of your lungs.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1471

Default instructions

Thread Information