Liked: 14

Default Can I use my Kart Helmet?

I have a snell2005 bell karting helmet, is this legal to use in my FF?

My thinking is the only difference would be the lining of the helmet not being nomex but If I would wear a nomex hood would it be legal?

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Good question. Never thought of checking the liner in my helmet. I wear a nomex balaclava because of a furry face. I, too, would like a definitive answer.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 501

No.

RD2,
    Don't they tech inspect and put a compliance decal on your helmets where you race?

Liked: 146

No. A non-nomex-lined helmet would not be rated "SA", so it would not get a SCCA club racing sticker.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

So what ur saying is I need to buy a new helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by mkp250r View Post
    So what ur saying is I need to buy a new helmet.
    If what you are asking is if you can use the kart helmet for FF racing, you would need an SA rated one . You could buy a used helmet, or maybe you are auto crossing the car? Not trying to split hairs, but your original post didn't say what you were doing with your FF. It's not just being sanctioning body compliant, the rules are in place because it is in the interest of your safety to have the fire protection.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    If what you are asking is if you can use the kart helmet for FF racing, you would need an SA rated one . You could buy a used helmet, or maybe you are auto crossing the car? Not trying to split hairs, but your original post didn't say what you were doing with your FF. It's not just being sanctioning body compliant, the rules are in place because it is in the interest of your safety to have the fire protection.

I will be doing SCCA club racing. Seems like I'm going to have to buy a helmet. Damn I want to wait till the snell 2015 came out.

Liked: 1417

If you are racing regularly, you will likely wear out a helmet before the 2010 rating expires in 2021. Don't worry about it, and get yourself a good, quality Nomex-lined SA helmet for racing in cars. You can't use your karting suit, shoes or gloves in SCCA cars either, as they aren't flame-retardant.

Ask the guys on the forums who have been in a race car that was on fire why it's all mandatory.

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 29

If his karting shoes are leather, he can use them. The rest all needs to be fire retardent.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

My helmet says SA2005. So I'm guessing it's good to go

Banned
    Liked: 1116

My helmet says SA2005. So I'm guessing it's good to go

Yes, until the season after the SA2015 is released.

Liked: 106

Yes, until the 2015 ratings are released. Then it will be too old.

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    Yes, until the 2015 ratings are released. Then it will be too old.
    Well, until the SA2015 helmets are available on the retail market, actually, and then usually at least a year after that by the SCCA allowances. There is a pretty wide window after the actual 10 year date from the rating sticker date.

Karting helmets are rated K2000, K2005, etc. Motorsports helmets are rated with an SA for Special Applications. They have fire safety needs accounted for, but after recently looking at the Snell ratings chart, it looks like they may have gone to one standard for special applications and karting helmets that created a SA/K2010 rating.

Check the label under the lining in your helmet to look for the Snell sticker. If it says "SA2010" you are good to go for at least another 5 years, and likely a couple more. If it says "K2010" you will need to buy a fire-safe helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Well, until the SA2015 helmets are available on the retail market, actually, and then usually at least a year after that by the SCCA allowances. There is a pretty wide window after the actual 10 year date from the rating sticker date.

Karting helmets are rated K2000, K2005, etc. Motorsports helmets are rated with an SA for Special Applications. They have fire safety needs accounted for, but after recently looking at the Snell ratings chart, it looks like they may have gone to one standard for special applications and karting helmets that created a SA/K2010 rating.

Check the label under the lining in your helmet to look for the Snell sticker. If it says "SA2010" you are good to go for at least another 5 years, and likely a couple more. If it says "K2010" you will need to buy a fire-safe helmet.

My helmet is a bell kart pro 2 but it's SA approved. I think "K" approved helmets are the cheaper karting helmets.

My helmet is a bell kart pro 2 but it's SA approved. I think "K" approved helmets are the cheaper karting helmets.
    If it's SA rated, you're good to go for the SCCA requirements.

But, double check with your local region and your current GCR to be sure before driving up to tech.

Thread Information