Liked: 0

Default Honda Pilot as tow vehicle?

I have an '06 Honda Pilot AWD with a Class III hitch, trans cooler and P/S cooler. Honda's specs state that the vehicle can tow a trailer weighing (4500lbs (boat)/ 3500lbd(other)) and a tongue weight of 450 lbs.

Any opinions on using the Pilot as a tow vehicle for an open or closed trailer and either a FF1600 or FF2000 car + tires + etc.

Thanks.

Steve

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default I know people who tow with honda pilots.

enclosed trailers, they exceed teh weight by like another 2,000lbs.. ouch.. looks unsafe. probably is a bit. But the specs the factory says usually is like 25- 25% on the safe side.

Remember if you have room you will fill it with stuff, more spares, more luxuries, more food, people, gear, and more gear... so always go bigger on your trailer and tow vehicle and then you cant go wrong in the end.

Or buy an empty 40' semi trailer box for like 5 - 8 k and a frietliner used truck for 5 - 10, and then you have no limitations and can live at the track full time.. save on hotel bills
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

hey steve,

i have a nissan pathfinder. similair stats as your honda. i have an light weight open trailer. it's under a 1000 lbs, and most ff's are around 900, well within factory specs. plenty of room for spares and such. various lock boxes on the trailer for fuel and such. tires unfortunetly go inside. have had no problems whatsoever. braking is only slightly affected. would not worry about going anywhere with my set up.

jimmy

Liked: 3772

Where there is a will, there is a way.

A few years back I welded up a custom 800 lb open trailer with racks for eight spare wheels, and towed a FC all over the SE (and Road America) with a FWD vehicle rated to tow 3500 lbs and 350 lb tongue.

Would have been nice to have trailer brakes...

Now we have a 20' vnose box and a 5.4 liter Expedition.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

IMO-- No way on the enclosed. Even a 16x7 Aluminum trailer w/FF, minimal spares and tools would be too heavy. I have a 06 Pilot 2WD, love the car but I wouldn't feel too good about towing 3500# with it. 16 x 7 open trailer with a FF, spare set of wheels, fuel, ice chest and fair amount of tools would be fine with trailer brakes. Heck, the guy I bought my FF from towed it on a small single axle open trailer behind a Toyota MR2!!!

Liked: 79

I have an Odyssey Van. 3500 Max capacity with tranny cooler. I will be towing with an open trailer, but figured with realistic numbers that if I can find a cramped 14 x 7 with a single axle and brakes, it can be done if you just carry the basics. However, it is difficult to find that size with only a single axle. The additional weight of a tandem axle would push me over the edge.

For what it is worth, my older Villager van easily pulled an enclosed kart trailer that was a 2000# total load.

Thread Information