Liked: 0

Default Trailer roof sealant

Can any of u guys tell me what the best product for sealing a trailer roof. I have a small leak around the dome and the stuff around the edges is looking pretty weathered so i figured I would re do it.
    Better to have raced for a day...
    than been a spectator for life!

Liked: 1

Default Roof Sealer

Any good RV dealer should have several choices. The best one I've used is clear and stays pliable. Put it on with a small brush. Be sure the area is clean and dry. I always re sealed all the joints on my camper every 2 years because of the cold weather freezing any moisture and opening the joints.

Liked: 8

Default RV stuff

I have been treating my haulmark for almost 20 years. I use the brush-on sealant around all the joints, then I brush on a coat of Tremclad aluminum enamel paint. Its a sticky enamel that stays flexible and the aluminum color reflects sunlight and keeps the trailer cooler.

Never had a leak ever.

I'll bet the brush-on bed-liner stuff would work great as well.

Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4302

Home Depot has a product much like Tom describes. My RV friends hooked me up with it. It is a sealer for metal roofs, has a silver color to it, and worked great ..... presumably at a fraction of what a RV dealer would sell you for the same job.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Home Depot has a product much like Tom describes. My RV friends hooked me up with it. It is a sealer for metal roofs, has a silver color to it, and worked great ..... presumably at a fraction of what a RV dealer would sell you for the same job.
    That's whay I use, got it from lowes. Apply with a roller/brush. Maybe do a second coat just on the seams. A gallon goes a long way.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

I did not have any leaks, but the roof was starting to rust in areas where the galvanizing was gone.

Tried the silver stuff with little success. It rusted right through it.

Got some stuff called elastomeric roof sealant at Lowes. It is white, goes on thick and has not shown any sign of deterioration for about 5 years now. It stays somewhat flexible.

Took 2 gallons to put 2 fairly thick coats on my 22 footer. Was about $18 a gallon.

Liked: 42

How are you guys prepping this?

Just rinse it and put it on over whatever is there or removing old stuff?

ok first I was just gonna seal the edges but now I may recoat the whole thing since I have seen some rust spots also
    Better to have raced for a day...
    than been a spectator for life!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 10

Default Roof help

"Got some stuff called elastomeric roof sealant at Lowes".

Steve - did you put this stuff over the rust or prep it first?

Default Rust

You need to remove the rust first, or it will just continue to corrode. If you have corrosion under vents, etc, they need to be removed, the rust needs to be mechanically removed (sanding/grinding) then properly primed. For galvanized steel, special primer is needed. Use Zinc-Chromate primer. up here, it is available at Canadian Tire (Great Name, Eh? )
    In the 'States, I am sure you can find some locally...you can use 3M "weld-through" coating, available at welding supply stores. then top coat with a good quality rattle-can paint.

For the rest of the roof, you need to remove any loose materials (use a wire brush and some elbow-grease) and ideally power wash. Finally!! you can top coat with the sealant....

Ya, it takes time to do it right! But if you do a good job, you are protecting your trailer for a long time.

Have fun!

T
    Tom Owen

If you are talking about seams, butyl tape a much better and more permanent alternative. It's the same stuff that they use in double-sided form to bond the panels of 'screwless' trailers together. On the advice of a friend that works at one of the big trailer manufacturers, I used a product called Eternabond on both of my trailers last year. There are similar products from 3M and probably others, but I found that eternabond was more commonly available. If you do some searching, there are a couple discounters online that sell for considerably less than retail.

If you do the prep right, the stuff will theoretically last the life of the trailer. Be sure to remove ALL traces of silicone prior to installation. Other caulk is OK, but this stuff will not bond to silicone. I ignored that little nugget of info and had a couple areas pull up after a week. If you've used silicone for repairs in the past, use a wire brush on a drill or grinder and remove all traces. I used a scotchbrite roloc and followed that up with an acetone wipedown. Primer is also recommended. When applying, be sure to use a roller and plenty of pressure to get a good bond. I bought a laminate roller from the flooring section at Lowes.

It's all a little pricey compared to a couple tubes of caulk, but IMO it's worth it for the durability. Based on reading of RV forums and the aforementioned conversation, a lot of manufacturers are starting to use tape rather than caulk for sealing roof seams.

Jeremy you are right about using tape for new construction. I use it on E-type bonnets for bonding new panel seams. It is not recommended for used parts or external seam sealing. The parts must be separated, bead blasted, primed and top coated. Otherwise the bond will not work.

If you are looking for an in-the-field repair, then there are some great products out there that can be applied into existing seams using a calking gun. Two I have used are 3M's 5200 urethane and Sikkens Sikaflex. Both are an air (moisture) cured urethane structural adhesive. Suitable for the marine community as well, they are know as the "Black Death" in these parts....because you will die with the stuff stuck to your skin!

And I agree with you about silicones. In my opinion they should be banned. they screw up all the other better products, mess up repainting and generally are as effective as duct tape!

Best, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
    If you are talking about seams, butyl tape a much better and more permanent alternative. It's the same stuff that they use in double-sided form to bond the panels of 'screwless' trailers together. On the advice of a friend that works at one of the big trailer manufacturers, I used a product called Eternabond on both of my trailers last year. There are similar products from 3M and probably others, but I found that eternabond was more commonly available. If you do some searching, there are a couple discounters online that sell for considerably less than retail.

If you do the prep right, the stuff will theoretically last the life of the trailer. Be sure to remove ALL traces of silicone prior to installation. Other caulk is OK, but this stuff will not bond to silicone. I ignored that little nugget of info and had a couple areas pull up after a week. If you've used silicone for repairs in the past, use a wire brush on a drill or grinder and remove all traces. I used a scotchbrite roloc and followed that up with an acetone wipedown. Primer is also recommended. When applying, be sure to use a roller and plenty of pressure to get a good bond. I bought a laminate roller from the flooring section at Lowes.

It's all a little pricey compared to a couple tubes of caulk, but IMO it's worth it for the durability. Based on reading of RV forums and the aforementioned conversation, a lot of manufacturers are starting to use tape rather than caulk for sealing roof seams.
    Tom Owen

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

Steve - did you put this stuff over the rust or prep it first?

Very Very minor prep.

Wire brush the really loose stuff.

This stuff is like a layer of totally UV resistant and waterproof plastic when it dries

Default Coating the entire roof

I never coated the entire roof with sealant. The rust spots can be taken care of with removing the rust and coating with cold galvanize spray. The major reason for not coating the entire roof in the north is snow removal. The roof is easier to clear without the coating to adhere to. Otherwise it will stick, melt, and freeze the joints open again, plus the weight will cave the roof in eventually. I also found the silver stuff more likely to get moisture under it, and open joints.
    Besides that, why add 30+ pounds of weight if you really don't need it - carry more beer!

Default Snow Loads

I am in the "Great White" and never had a problem with snow getting under seams. I have always completely covered my trailer roofs with the enamel coating every two years. I doubt that the weight has added 10 pounds in the twenty years I have been doing it, but if an additional 30 pounds (as you suggest) would collapse the roof, then you bought the wrong trailer!

And in terms of snow removal, my trailer has a rounded roof and is strong enough to walk on; So I never have had a problem with snow loads, on the trailers, the motor home or anything else.....now the roof on the cottage! That's another problem. But I am putting on a steel roof this summer so snow loads will be a thing of the past!

Good idea about galvanized paint for the rusty spots!

I would always coat the roof completely. In that way you don't get seams that could leak as the roof will be one continuous surface. Has always worked for me on all our trailers.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by witsend View Post
    I never coated the entire roof with sealant. The rust spots can be taken care of with removing the rust and coating with cold galvanize spray. The major reason for not coating the entire roof in the north is snow removal. The roof is easier to clear without the coating to adhere to. Otherwise it will stick, melt, and freeze the joints open again, plus the weight will cave the roof in eventually. I also found the silver stuff more likely to get moisture under it, and open joints.
    Besides that, why add 30+ pounds of weight if you really don't need it - carry more beer!
    Tom Owen

Liked: 41

Interesting that no one mentioned Dicor Lap Sealant. ANyone have any issues with that stuff?
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Quote Originally Posted by farrout View Post
    Interesting that no one mentioned Dicor Lap Sealant. ANyone have any issues with that stuff?
    If you can find a product called Sicaflex (sp) it's used on semi trailers all the time and does a GREAT job of sealing joints and it remains flexable for years so as to continue sealing and not cracking.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRDAVE View Post
    If you can find a product called Sicaflex (sp) it's used on semi trailers all the time and does a GREAT job of sealing joints and it remains flexable for years so as to continue sealing and not cracking.

Sikaflex is a felxible urethane based adhesive sealant sold by Sikkens. Good stuff, and used to bond E-type bonnets together. I have found it hard to find, so replaced it with 3M 5200. This is a similar product to sikaflex, is a one-part sealant applied with a regular calking gun, and uses atmospheric moisture to cure. Works great. Oh ya, 5200 is used in the boat building industry. They call it the "black death"....because you will die before this stuff wears off your skin.

I just replaced the crank-out vent on my Pace trailer and installed the new vent with 5200. Glad the plastic lid can be replaced, because I don't want to have to chisel off the steel flange....it is well and truly stuck!

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen

Liked: 5

Default Dicor

It is used on rubber roofs most of the time. I use it on my motorcoach.works quite well, runs about $10.00 a tube "caulking gun size" from an rv dealer.

Liked: 7

Another vote for the stuff lowes sells.

I think its called "Kool Seal"

I used the thicker stuff for the gaps. Its like a paste. And you use something similar to the mesh tape used in drywall spackling. Used a paint brush to paint over the paste when it dried, and the rest of the trailer.

Easy to apply and cheap.

I used a wire brush on the angle grinder to rough up the rusty areas. Its been 5? years. Probably due for a new coat....but no leaks!

Jim

I've attached a few pics of some "problem areas" on my trailer roof. The trailer is in very good condition overall, but it may be time for a little roof TLC.

I would appreciate any comments regarding the best methods and materials to repair the areas where the roof sealant is starting to "crack". Would something like Flow-Seal or 3M 5200 be appropriate? Do I need to dig out all the old sealant first?

Also, there is a a small crack in the plastic nose cap, probably due to impact with something. Do I need to make a small fiberglass patch, or just stop-drill, clean, and apply some surface sealant?

Thanks!

Attachment 36145

Attachment 36146

Attachment 36147

Attachment 36148

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Pressure was roof, Dig out the old stuff that's loose... 5200 joints & seams, let cure, clean & spot prime rust areas, then 'paint' the entire roof with the white elastomeric kool seal... Re-coat every year or two... My camper & car hauler are nearly twenty years old, no leaks....
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Default Trailer Roof Leak

Rick, I looked at your trailer roof problem, the other guy is suggesting to use elastomatic paint, that would be okay for fine hairline cracks and consistant surfaces. The only and best way to cure your problem to be goood for a long haul would be to glue rubber over the entire roof, smooth it out a little bit, and glue it down. If you can, take the trim channels off, roll the rubber down the side wall 2-3 inches, then put the channel back on over the rubber, use screws with rubber washers, to prevent water sipping in. Go to a flat-roofing supplier, and buy a roll of EPDM Rubber, and buy 1-2 gallons of primer adhesive to glue the rubber with. Fit the rubber first, roll it back halfway, apply the primer to both the rubber and the trailer roof, wait a few minutes, until it gets tacky, then roll the rubber back over where you glued, make sure to smooth it out to avoid air bubbles. Once your done with that half, then do the second half with the same process. Do not roll the rubber pull it back as a skirt, that way you can glue a couple feet at a time. Make sure both surfaces are clean, so nothing is traped between when you lay it down (use thinner to clean it). When you glue around the edges, use lap caulking so wind won't lift it up. This is how motorhomes roofs are done. If you have any further questions call me my name is George. (219)-718-9190. PS: Your problems will be solved forever!
    Last edited by Fast&Cool; 01.09.13 at 1:07 AM.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Great advice !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 551

Rick, I had some big sun cracks in my front, top plastic. To cover/seal them, I bought a gallon of some very thick and pliable sealant.

I'm not sure if it's what you need, but it was perfect for me. I bought black to match my trailer.

Information on the label:

Trailmobile
    700-99-7
    Sealing Mastic
    Nationwide Parts and Service

I think I found it either on ebay or via Google.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 19

New Year, New Solution!! Take it to "The Guy"

Yours Truly,
    Project Overburdened

Thread Information