Liked: 9

Default Racecar Rental - free (almost)

Kinda a crazy idea here, so I'm just throwing it out here...

I need help with this Formula Vee project. With kids, work, and the desire not to spend too much money on this project, I am having a very difficult time building and preparing this ride. And in 2015, the belts will need replacing.

I would like to offer the car free to use for exchange with help in building and maintaining this car. Immediate needs include fiberglass and paint work on the nose, some welding services for newly designed rear suspension rockers, and mounting tires. The use of the car would be proportional to the percentage of resources invested, which includes Beer. Put a set of brake shoes on the car, and borrow it for the weekend. My brother and I have done this for years with our Dad's Tiga club ford, with great results. Open trailer included in the deal with all spares including rain tires. Haul the car anywhere you want to race.

Great deal to get your feet wet and learn about racing, or maintain a licence. Or, just for giggles. The car is in Green Bay, WI.

feel free to email if interested. lenhart05 at yahoo dot com

thanks,
    Tad
    Last edited by lenhart05; 03.26.15 at 1:01 PM.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: Racecar Rental - free (almost)

I started flying, regularly, at age fifteen working on planes in exchange for seat time. Working on a race car for seat time is an awesome opportunity ! That's very cool & trusting ! This day & age, I'd recommend getting a waiver signed
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 247

That is an awesome opportunity for someone! It would be cool to offer this up to some local karters, I know a lot of young guys would like to step up into open wheel cars.

It could be an opportunity to promote FV as well!

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by lenhart05 View Post
    Kinda a crazy idea here, so I'm just throwing it out here...

I need help with this Formula Vee project. With kids, work, and the desire not to spend too much money on this project, I am having a very difficult time building and preparing this ride. And in 2015, the belts will need replacing.

I would like to offer the car free to use for exchange with help in building and maintaining this car. Immediate needs include fiberglass and paint work on the nose, some welding services for newly designed rear suspension rockers, and mounting tires. The use of the car would be proportional to the percentage of resources invested, which includes Beer. Put a set of brake shoes on the car, and borrow it for the weekend. My brother and I have done this for years with our Dad's Tiga club ford, with great results. Open trailer included in the deal with all spares including rain tires. Haul the car anywhere you want to race.

Great deal to get your feet wet and learn about racing, or maintain a licence. Or, just for giggles. The car is in Green Bay, WI.

feel free to email if interested. lenhart05 at yahoo dot com

thanks,
    Tad

Emailed you

Default car is sold

I didn't have much interest in helping with the car, so I decided to sell the car. Car has been sold. I still have two great sets of FV tires available if anyone is interested.

Liked: 174

Tad,

What was your experience with the bodywork regarding speed of the car
    and aero buffeting around your helmet?

Thanks!

Mark

Hi Mark,
    I have zero experience on the speed of the car and in theory, it should slow the car down with the added weight and surface area.

I added the front fin as some head protection against turkeys and deer, as we have up here. It was 1/4" thick blade to dissipate some of the energy that a 30 lb object would have flying straight at you. Yet, it still allowed great foward vision. I added the rear fin as a aesthetic detail to balance the look of the car. As an alternative, I also considered going with a full cage.

As far as buffeting around my helmet, this is where I did notice something. I had zero buffeting and during a rain race, I had zero wind to blow my visor clear. The flat front fin definately changed the air around the cockpit. For better or for worse?

Tad

Liked: 174

Tad,

I've seen those blades, but much smaller in size located on F-1 cars. I've always
    wondered the reason for them and maybe for the same results as yourself!

Congrats on the sale!

Mark

Liked: 157

Default Vortex generators??

Mark, the smaller fins about the size of a credit card are vortex generators intended to trip the boundary layer flowing over the car and thus creating an attached air layer further downstream.

The big fin on the front is interesting, but i have a concern that there might be some cases where the fin catches an animal/bird that might have missed the helmet and steers it to the wrong place. An interesting probability problem depending on speeds and angles

Thread Information