Thread: Sliding Latch

Liked: 233

Default Sliding Latch

Last year the Dzus 1500 sliding latch shown in the photo worked well except it was a little undersized for the job. I'd like a heftier version but it doesn't appear that this product comes in a larger size. Can anyone suggest a similar fastener that is heavier duty?

The job of this fastener is to hold a panel onto the chassis. At the location of this fastener, it mainly keeps the panel from sliding around laterally and is not not actually holding it onto the car. There's a bolt for that in a different spot.

But the airflow under the chassis is important and using a regular Dzus fastener or similar item would disturb the airflow. That's why the sliding latch was such a good solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 29

Default Ideas

Flat head Cam locks ?
    Add as needed.......smaller and less intrusive than Dusz flush heads. They do stand up from the panel a bit more than the Cams.

Or this Dzus ? Try
    irvansmith.com

PAN-5400E 5/16" X .400" Self-Eject Flush Button
    5/16" Diameter Self-Ejecting Steel Flush Button .400" Length
    self ejecting........also in 7/16" dia.

Liked: 10

Jim,

Have you looked at the Pegasus "latches" options?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/keywordsearch.asp

Or even the "crude" Terry Spring?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/keywordsearch.asp

Or even heavier duty versions of what VD does with O-rings used as rubber bands? (Use EPDM O-rings for multi-year sunlight resistance and tiny tywraps to secure the o-rings to one of the studs!

Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 3210

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    Last year the Dzus 1500 sliding latch shown in the photo worked well except it was a little undersized for the job. I'd like a heftier version but it doesn't appear that this product comes in a larger size. Can anyone suggest a similar fastener that is heavier duty?

The job of this fastener is to hold a panel onto the chassis. At the location of this fastener, it mainly keeps the panel from sliding around laterally and is not not actually holding it onto the car. There's a bolt for that in a different spot.

But the airflow under the chassis is important and using a regular Dzus fastener or similar item would disturb the airflow. That's why the sliding latch was such a good solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    If the latch just locates a panel laterally with respect to one it butts up to (keeping the two panels flush to each other, but not needed to keep the two from separating), on my Citation, we use a "blade and slot" locating method in several locations. This is a steel "blade" attached to one panel (through a slot in the middle, laterally, of the molded flange) that fits through a mating slot in the mating panel (also laterally in the middle of the molded flange).

These have worked quite well for me.

I can take some photos of one if you think it might work for you.
    Last edited by DaveW; 01.05.14 at 11:25 AM. Reason: grammar
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 233

I think I know what you're talking about but a photo is always helpful. Thanks Dave.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    I think I know what you're talking about but a photo is always helpful. Thanks Dave.
    I'll try to get one today before the weather goes below 0F...

All the body panels are outside in the trailer.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 10

Default Re: Sliding Latch

Jim, My VD uses pins and cylinders to do what sounds similar to what Dave said but maybe easier to fab. Can you post pics of the situation.

Default Photos

Below
    Last edited by DaveW; 02.03.14 at 9:13 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Thread Information